DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on the local news that Houston is getting a new RSN in the fall of this year, called Comcast Sports Net Houston. This network will be the new home of the Rockets and Astros. Is DirecTV planning to carry this new Channel?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
"Visman" said:
I just saw on the local news that Houston is getting a new RSN in the fall of this year, called Comcast Sports Net Houston. This network will be the new home of the Rockets and Astros. Is DirecTV planning to carry this new Channel?
No idea. You'll have to wait until it gets closer to see if they work some kind of deal out. I will say this, if they strike a deal with Comcast over this new channel, I can see all hell breaking loose on this board over Philadelphia still not being there.

·
Icon
667 Posts
That's great new that the teams own a majority of the channel, making it more likely that satellite and other providers will pick it up. In Oregon CSNNW is 100% owned by Comcast, and they've been using the RSN to drive people to its cable service, while locking out half of the state that doesn't have access to Comcast. The Blazers are pissed, but they signed a bad deal and have no say in it for a decade. Five years down and five to go.

·
Icon
1,129 Posts
If Comcast is not in control you should be fine. If Comcast is in control you are completely screwed. Here in Portland we're f*cked all the time by Comcast. CEO Brian Roberts laughs all the way to the bank. Comcast says the channel is available to any takers, but at such a price that no one will buy it. The whole intent to reduce distribution. CEO Roberts is the world's most accurate, real world interpretation of Scrooge we have. 1st class a-hole all the way.

Good thing the Astros & Rockets have ownership. There is an incentive to get the game on all systems then!

·
Icon
925 Posts
"WebTraveler" said:
If Comcast is not in control you should be fine. If Comcast is in control you are completely screwed. Here in Portland we're f*cked all the time by Comcast. CEO Brian Roberts laughs all the way to the bank. Comcast says the channel is available to any takers, but at such a price that no one will buy it. The whole intent to reduce distribution. CEO Roberts is the world's most accurate, real world interpretation of Scrooge we have. 1st class a-hole all the way.

Good thing the Astros & Rockets have ownership. There is an incentive to get the game on all systems then!
I wouldn't characterize one party as being evil. Everyone is out to make a buck.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
WebTraveler said:

comcast can still f* us over by useing the cable only Comcast Sports Southwest for over flow or just renaming it to CSN Houston.

·
Icon
1,129 Posts
adkinsjm said:
I wouldn't characterize one party as being evil. Everyone is out to make a buck.
Really, this is just about a single buck? Think so? Are you Mr. Roberts, himself? It's not just about someone's right to make a buck. It's about depriving the local community of access to the channel, misrepresenting that channel, saying it's available, but charging so much that no one in their right mind can carry it. Believe what you want Mr. Roberts.

·
Icon
783 Posts
"WebTraveler" said:
Really, this is just about a single buck? Think so? Are you Mr. Roberts, himself? It's not just about someone's right to make a buck. It's about depriving the local community of access to the channel, misrepresenting that channel, saying it's available, but charging so much that no one in their right mind can carry it. Believe what you want Mr. Roberts.
Back to this again? You need a new shtick.. Plus, I'm already Mr. Roberts. Just switch to Comcast already.. In the end you'll be a happier clam.

·
Legend
137 Posts
fireponcoal said:
Back to this again? You need a new shtick.. Plus, I'm already Mr. Roberts. Just switch to Comcast already.. In the end you'll be a happier clam.
LOL, Had to laugh. When I saw "Mr Brian Roberts" it was easy to know who was posting. When i think of webtraveler, i can see him with a voodoo shrine to CEO BRIAN ROBERTS in his house :lol:

·
Icon
925 Posts
WebTraveler said:
It's about hundreds of millions of bucks. There is no fundamental right to have every channel available at the price you want it for. If DirecTV has a problem with the price, there are grievance structures in place. The problem is DirecTV doesn't want to risk losing a battle over price.

·
Icon
1,129 Posts
adkinsjm said:
It's about hundreds of millions of bucks. There is no fundamental right to have every channel available at the price you want it for. If DirecTV has a problem with the price, there are grievance structures in place. The problem is DirecTV doesn't want to risk losing a battle over price.
Yep and the lowly consumer screwed again, really powerless to do anything....doesn't change the fact that Mr. Roberts is one greedy, arrogant, a-hole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.