Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a D* user in Howard County

I have an LB5 dish and an HR20 DVR, and one of the reasons I upgraded was that I had read that I should be getting Comcast Sports net in HD on the same channel 629 as with my older dish and Samsung 360.

Every time I have watched the Wizards on 629 it has not been an HD signal, even when I see them listed in HD on the Comcast guide.

Am I missing something?

TIA

Eddie

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
In your Guide listing.
Do you see TWO entries for 629?

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
There should be two entries for 629. I live in Alexandria and have the 5LNB/HR20.

Also, some of the games are just not broadcast in HD, so comcast may not put filler bars on the side like ESPN.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
2 entries but the "HD" entry in guide never shows the same programming - instead I think it says upcoming show or something. This makes it impossible to record the HD ahead of time. So you can watch it, but cannot record it. More need to complain (to who, I do not know) so this is fixed.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dewalt said:
There should be two entries for 629. I live in Alexandria and have the 5LNB/HR20.

Also, some of the games are just not broadcast in HD, so comcast may not put filler bars on the side like ESPN.
Should there always be two entires, or only when the game is on?

I'm checking now at 11:00 AM or so and only see one but I'm sure that there is nothing going out in HD now

Eddie

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
yesongs said:
Earl,

Just check, no - only one entry

Eddie
If you only have one entry, then you are not receiving the HD version of the channel.

Where do your HD-Locals come from?
If they are not the Washington Market, then you will not receive the channel in HD... Even if they are your RSN

·
Legend
107 Posts
Would'nt they show the HD games on channels 95, 96 or 97 like they do for my rsn's when they broadcast in HD?

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
If you only have one entry, then you are not receiving the HD version of the channel.

Where do your HD-Locals come from?
If they are not the Washington Market, then you will not receive the channel in HD... Even if they are your RSN
As Earl said, you have to be in the DC market or you are SOL. I am lucky enough to live in the DC market, but also can receive both OTA HD from Bmore and DC- and DC locals in HD through D*, so my HD choices are plentiful. :)

·
Legend
229 Posts
For some stupid reason that I have yet to find out, the Baltimore DMA doesn't get CSN in HD. Yet DC does, and it's the same friggin channel...

No, I'm not bitter or anything. :D (probably my only real issue with DTV at the moment)

·
AllStar
52 Posts
SFS97 said:
Would'nt they show the HD games on channels 95, 96 or 97 like they do for my rsn's when they broadcast in HD?
Our RSN channel 629 is HD 24 hours a day- so no need to have on one of those channels. 90% of the time it is a mirror of the SD channel, but sometimes they have a wizards game on in SD, but the Caps on in HD. Not sure how they decide which sport gets the HD feed.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
SFS97 said:
Different markets... Different methods.

In you area, your RSN is not 24/7 available in HD... so they just show the "games" in HD on the special event HD channels (the 90's)

In other markets, like DC and Chicago... the RSN's are available 24/7 so, they are on an entirely different channel (That corresponds to the SD-RSN).

But they are only available in the same spot beam area, as the base HD Locals

·
Godfather
589 Posts
HockeyKat said:
For some stupid reason that I have yet to find out, the Baltimore DMA doesn't get CSN in HD. Yet DC does, and it's the same friggin channel...

No, I'm not bitter or anything. :D (probably my only real issue with DTV at the moment)
My best guess on this has always been that they'll wait until they *could* put all the HD RSN's up nationally. Still, it makes no sense that certain markets in a sports team area don't get an HD RSN, especially if most can get it from an adjacent spotbeam.

Lunacy :new_Eyecr

·
AllStar
52 Posts
HockeyKat said:

#1- love your Avatar!!

#2 - I would be bitter too- seems like Bmore is getting the screwgie when it comes to this matter. I am still suprised that I am getting it in HD with all the problems Comcast cable has in the DC market. I live in New Market, which is basically the same distance from DC and Baltimore, but I lucked out and got DC.

·
Legend
229 Posts
shortstop11_jeff said:
#1- love your Avatar!!

#2 - I would be bitter too- seems like Bmore is getting the screwgie when it comes to this matter. I am still suprised that I am getting it in HD with all the problems Comcast cable has in the DC market. I live in New Market, which is basically the same distance from DC and Baltimore, but I lucked out and got DC.
Thanks! :D But I have to shameless admit that I can't take credit for it - I stole it form someone on another board. lol But it's so pretty!!!

I live near Annapolis, so I get the Baltimore channels. That's great since I never watched DC channels anyway, except for WB50 (or whatever it's called now. CW?) for Caps games and I can get the OTA. But CSN is shared between both markets. Why should only one get the HD version? Especially during hockey season!?? heh

·
Mentor
37 Posts
HockeyKat said:
Thanks! :D But I have to shameless admit that I can't take credit for it - I stole it form someone on another board. lol But it's so pretty!!!

I live near Annapolis, so I get the Baltimore channels. That's great since I never watched DC channels anyway, except for WB50 (or whatever it's called now. CW?) for Caps games and I can get the OTA. But CSN is shared between both markets. Why should only one get the HD version? Especially during hockey season!?? heh
Seriously doesn't make sense, especially when you think that CSN will have the Orioles but not the Nats (since they're getting switched over to MASN). I'm still waiting for the significantly viewed channels to be activated like they've been promising for a year. The way they segregate these markets which are essentially just one big market is pretty silly.

·
Legend
229 Posts
bigpro said:
Seriously doesn't make sense, especially when you think that CSN will have the Orioles but not the Nats (since they're getting switched over to MASN). I'm still waiting for the significantly viewed channels to be activated like they've been promising for a year. The way they segregate these markets which are essentially just one big market is pretty silly.
Wait, is it this year that the Nats are going to CSN and the Os to MASN? Currently it's the other way around. But yeah, still doesn't make sense...

Nice to see some more Baltimore area people here, btw. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
Both the O's and Nats are now on MASN. And MASN doesn't seem to have plans for HD for 2007. When both teams are on, they will have MASN-Plus on all outlest (cable and satellite).

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
hancox said:
My best guess on this has always been that they'll wait until they *could* put all the HD RSN's up nationally. Still, it makes no sense that certain markets in a sports team area don't get an HD RSN, especially if most can get it from an adjacent spotbeam.

Lunacy :new_Eyecr
The answer to all your questions is that the HD RSN is activated in combination with HD locals, and as such are only available to a particular DMA, at this point.

There is at least talk of changing that, but the last I heard was 3 weeks ago or more, and nothing changed and I haven't heard back, so I don't know what's going on.. :(

It is silly though. According to the programming dept., the spot beam for San Francisco reaches my house - I'm basically right on the edge of the boundaries - but because I'm not actually IN San Francisco, they won't turn on the RSN to me. They claim that they CAN'T because the locals and RSN are tied together, but I find it hard to believe that they can't turn on 1 channel to a receiver... But that's what they say.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.