DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After awhile away, playing with cable and Tivo, I'm looking to come back to Directv, but have some questions. I THINK I know what I need, but I'm not positive. I want NEW receivers, so I'm going through Solid Signal. Directv isn't really willing to work with me too much anyway. The largest discount they'll give me is a free H2x receiver.
I want the 5 tuner Media Center receiver, the 2 tuner HD DVR, and a regular HD receiver (Non DVR). Will the SWM LNB work for this, or am I going to need a SWM16? I thought I remembered reading that even though it had 5 tuners, the Media Center required 6 SWM slots?
With the Media Center-how difficult is it to replace the internal hard drive (I've swapped out hard drives on the other HD DVRs)? Will it take larger than a 2TB drive?
As far as getting all of these connected to the internet, as well as for MRV, what do I need (The 2 tuner HD DVR and HD receiver would have to be wireless, if possible)? Also, is there someway to limit MRV on the non Media Center receivers? Have to enter a password or something in order to enable it? Basically I don't want them to even see the Media Center unless I enable it, and then it basically disappears once I disable it.
Thanks!

· Registered
12,607 Posts
1. A Slimline dish with SWM LNB supports 8 tuners, and your list of 1 HR34, 1 HD DVR and one HD Receiver is exactly 8 tuners. So that would work.

2. No, the HR34 only requires 5 SWM channels (slots)

3. 2TB is still the largest supported. Note that it's a violation of DirecTV's equipment lease agreement to open up the box. Why not use an external eSATA drive instead?

4. You'll want to let DirecTV install their SWM/DECA coax networking for your Whole Home DVR service. Don't try to use wireless or powerline networking. There are ways to block access to the shared DVRs if you need to.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
1. A Slimline dish with SWM LNB supports 8 tuners, and your list of 1 HR34, 1 HD DVR and one HD Receiver is exactly 8 tuners. So that would work.

2. No, the HR34 only requires 5 SWM channels (slots)

3. 2TB is still the largest supported. Note that it's a violation of DirecTV's equipment lease agreement to open up the box. Why not use an external eSATA drive instead?

4. You'll want to let DirecTV install their SWM/DECA coax networking for your Whole Home DVR service. Don't try to use wireless or powerline networking. There are ways to block access to the shared DVRs if you need to.
That's right, I forgot about SWM/DECA. Can I do that myself? What exactly would I need?
As far as the eSATA drives, I've just read bad things about them (For the regular HD DVRs anyway), unless that's changed since I've been with Directv. I just MUCH prefer an internal drive.
Also, what are the dimensions on the HR34? Where are the vents?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
Based on the experiences posted by others here, I would highly recommend that you consult with DIRECTV as to what they would be willing to do with regards to opening an account with owned equipment.

Recent history suggests that they require at least some leased equipment to be part of the deal and with that, a professional installation.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
harsh said:
Based on the experiences posted by others here, I would highly recommend that you consult with DIRECTV as to what they would be willing to do with regards to opening an account with owned equipment.

Recent history suggests that they require at least some leased equipment to be part of the deal and with that, a professional installation.
Did the OP say they wanted to open an account with owned equipment?

26,529 Posts
dsw2112 said:
Did the OP say they wanted to open an account with owned equipment?
No, he did not.

I meant (but clearly didn't say) equipment that was acquired through someone other than DIRECTV.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
If you order through DirecTV (as opposed to a 3rd party retailer), you can still specifically get 1 HR34, 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver. What you won't be able to do is specify which HD DVR model or which HD receiver model you would get. But you would be assured of the HR34, and of an HR2x series DVR and an H2x series receiver, all of which would be whole-home compatible.

To clarify, the HR34 does not yet have the HD GUI, but it is expected to come. Not sure when.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
carl6 said:
If you order through DirecTV (as opposed to a 3rd party retailer), you can still specifically get 1 HR34, 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver. What you won't be able to do is specify which HD DVR model or which HD receiver model you would get. But you would be assured of the HR34, and of an HR2x series DVR and an H2x series receiver, all of which would be whole-home compatible.

To clarify, the HR34 does not yet have the HD GUI, but it is expected to come. Not sure when.
For receivers, they're giving me the same price as Solid Signal since I'm a prior customer. Can't STAND the slower GUI on models prior to the HR24.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
Also, has CIG been fixed yet?
:lol:

Sorry, that one gets me every time...

kevinturcotte said:
One of the TVs is SD only, but I plan on using an H24 with it, connected vie analog sterro and either S-Video or composite. Is this going to be a problem with the new HD GUI? It'll just down convert to 480i, right?
You'll just set the receiver for 480 and it will be fine.

26,529 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
The only receivers on the account will be the 3 I get through Solid Signal.
Specifically what was DIRECTV's answer regarding setting up an account with equipment acquired from outside?

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
If done legitimately dealers cannot setup an order for someone who has had service prior even if it's been over 2 years (which this has not). Since you've only been gone 18 months you're looking at going with a reconnect offer rather than a new customer offer.

If you're not getting any deals from solid signal than you might as well take the 1 free HD DVR they offered you and they will install the SWM for you. Then you can order your other receivers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.