DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years with Comcast, I'm switching back to DIRECTV.

I haven't kept up well with all of the technology changes, so I wanted to get a sense of how easy/difficult this will be.

I still have a 5 LNB dish (the first gen -- not the slimline) on the roof and all 4 connections run to a multiswitch in my basement. When I went to Comcast, I just disconnected the lines to the rooms that I wanted service into and connected them to a cable splitter. I'd like to use a single cable per D* Receiver and want to know if I can just have the installer replace the existing multiswitch with a SWM.

I'll be getting one HD DVR and one HD receiver and will want to take advantage of MRV. I have CAT-5e run everywhere, can I use that?

That's all I can think of for questions right now. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Legend
389 Posts
JoeyJoJo said:

I haven't kept up well with all of the technology changes, so I wanted to get a sense of how easy/difficult this will be.

I still have a 5 LNB dish (the first gen -- not the slimline) on the roof and all 4 connections run to a multiswitch in my basement. When I went to Comcast, I just disconnected the lines to the rooms that I wanted service into and connected them to a cable splitter. I'd like to use a single cable per D* Receiver and want to know if I can just have the installer replace the existing multiswitch with a SWM.

I'll be getting one HD DVR and one HD receiver and will want to take advantage of MRV. I have CAT-5e run everywhere, can I use that?

That's all I can think of for questions right now. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a pretty easy install.. they will hook you up with all you need. most likely it will be a swm setup with MRV.

They will hook you up with a wireless CCK that will provide internet though the coax. you should not need to hook each receiver to a wired connection.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
JoeyJoJo said:

Thanks in advance.
Standard policy is the replace any of the old first generation Ka/Ku ODUs (or AT-9) dishes with a Slimline whenever its encountered on a job. And they'll want to use a SWiM LNB on it. The SWiM-8 (in your case) multi-switches are reserved for HD installs requiring the separate international dish.

And they will install any necessary DECA equipment on the receivers as well as a CCK or BB DECA if you have internet access. Whether its a WiFi type or not depends on whether its easy or convenient to run a coax line to near where your router is located or to an ethernet switch linked back to it.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HoTat2 said:
Standard policy is the replace any of the old first generation Ka/Ku ODUs (or AT-9) dishes with a Slimline whenever its encountered on a job. And they'll want to use a SWiM LNB on it. The SWiM-8 (in your case) multi-switches are reserved for HD installs requiring the separate international dish.

And they will install any necessary DECA equipment on the receivers as well as a CCK or BB DECA if you have internet access. Whether its a WiFi type or not depends on whether its easy or convenient to run a coax line to near where your router is located or to an ethernet switch linked back to it.
The router and switch I have are both located in the family room entertainment center where the main DVR will be, so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

As for the run from the dish into the house, currently 4 lines come down from the dish and are fed into the multiswitch in the basement. How many will be coming off of the new dish?

carl6 said:
If you plan to keep cable internet, make sure the DirecTV installer does not disconnect/reuse that particular coax run.
No worries, I'll have all of the runs segregated and won't be confused.

Thank you all for your help on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.