DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had an hr 20 stop working and D* is sending me another one, the csr informs me of another 24 month commitment.

Lets see... I have 12 months left, the service providers equipment stops working. So I have 2 choices. Do not accept any new equipment and therefor live out the rest of my original commitment continuing to pay for the service but not actually being able to watch TV since the DVR stopped working.

Or option 2, accept the new equipment so I can actually see the services I am paying for, but oh by the way, we just put you back up to a new 24 month commitment.

Now I am not going anywhere, so this doesnt bother me, but in 10 months if I wanted to leave D*, I have little doubt that their tactics would never hold up if they were sued.

Not sure how they have gotten away with this for this long without someone challenging it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,476 Posts
Many have reported being able to remedy this problem by playing CSR roulette. The consensus is that you should not have your commitment extended.

That the policy isn't clear, consistent and widely disseminated is criminal. It should be planted in the CSR scripts that are read when a receiver is scheduled to be replaced.

·
Icon
818 Posts
When you go to activate the replacement, call 1-800-531-5000 and when the automated system asks what you want, say "Access Card Replacement Team". They know how to enter the activation to avoid a new commitment.

I did this last Monday and checked the commitment date afterwards and it hadn't changed.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
Folks that like the service keep it.
If they no longer like it or can no longer afford it they drop it.
But what is the point of attempting to force customers who die, become ill, move, become to broke to pay or join a monastery from continuing to pay for services?

I think the price of the installation should be covered before the customer moves on..........why else?

Around fifty percent of marriage commitments fail. What do they expect anyhow?

Joe

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
hoopsrgreat, The Merg created the reference thread on this issue. From DirecTV's lips (or fingertips would be more accurate), the rule is with the Protection Plan, the commitment will not be extended, and without it, the commitment should not be extended. If this distinction seems goofy to you, it does to me, too.

Bottom line, you are on completely accurate footing to fight this. All the ammo you need is in the link. Good luck. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.