Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.

I have tried to read thought many of the posts on this forum and I have searched the web in vain. So, please be gentle.

I have purchased a home and will be closing in the next week or so. I have decided to ditch cable and try something different.

I am completely green about the differences between Dish and Direct to the point that I can hardly make out what's what.

Can someone direct me to the primary differences between the services? Also, and I know this is a loaded question, what is better and why?

I am just looking to replace my cable and maybe pickup some additional programming as well. I need my local channels as well. It would appear that both services are offered in my area.

I need to supply signal to 2 rooms and I want to have a DVR as well. I do not need HD yet as I do not have any compatible displays. However, I may add one in the next 6 months or so. I don't need any kiddie programs as I'm a single guy with no little ones.

Is there any equipment/ services that would better than the other for my needs?

Thanks in advance. I know that getting asked over and over what's better probably gets old. But, I did not see any subjective posts one way or the other. I think it would be interesting to hear from those that converted from one service to the other and why as well.

Feel free to send me a message if you would prefer not to post it here.

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions!

Dave

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
I need to supply signal to 2 rooms and I want to have a DVR as well.
If the house is wired with two RG6 coax runs to each room you want a signal at, then either service will work just fine. If there is only one run per room (which most houses are), then you may be better off with DISH because of their technology and not having to run new lines/multiple lines for dual tuner DVRs. With DISH, you'll have one receiver in one room that will control two rooms' TV. Each TV will be able to watch their own channel at the same time. This can all be accomplished with existing wires if they are of good quality (RG6) and no splitters are hidden

I do not need HD yet as I do not have any compatible displays. However, I may add one in the next 6 months or so. I don't need any kiddie programs as I'm a single guy with no little ones.
I don't have HD, but what i've read/seen, DISH is ahead of the game when it comes to HD.

Additionally, I chose DISH because you can get away from commitments. DirecTv requires a 24-month commitment with activation of a DVR. If you cancel early, its something like $12/mth penalty for the months you don't use.

With DISH you can wave the commitment which usually results in you having to pay the $49.99 activation fee. But that fee can be waved if you get a club dish # from a current subscriber and use it when you set up your account. So if after a few months you don't like the service, you can walk away.

I noticed the packages for DISH were a little better. They had more options and cheap packages for people that just want the bare bones service.

I was a DirecTv customer before I had DISH. I really loved their older DVRs that had the TIVO interface. Their new DVRs I've heard aren't much to write home about.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the straight forward answers. There is a dish on the house, but I have no idea what is currently there.

What is the general thought on service warrantys?

Dave

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Thanks for the straight forward answers. There is a dish on the house, but I have no idea what is currently there.

What is the general thought on service warrantys?

Dave
Both services are leasing you the equipment so receivers are protected as long as you are leasing them.:) Go for the HDTV NOW, if you are thinking about it in 6 Mo. you will not be able to get promotions after you become a customer. HDTV channels can still be displayed on SDTV sets they just won't be in high definition.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boba said:
Both services are leasing you the equipment so receivers are protected as long as you are leasing them.:) Go for the HDTV NOW, if you are thinking about it in 6 Mo. you will not be able to get promotions after you become a customer. HDTV channels can still be displayed on SDTV sets they just won't be in high definition.
Is there any degradation of image quality if HD packages are used with SD sets? I'll still have a few even after the new addition.

Thanks again!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
53,145 Posts
Besides the obvious limitations of an SD set (can't display HD in HD)? No.

The ViP receivers can be set for "SD" output (in fact, it is standard on the composite and RF outputs). The component and HDMI outputs can be changed to HD once you get your HDTV.

You'll be able to view any channel you subscribe to downconverted to SD. The HD channels took pretty good on an SD set.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am leaning towards the Dish package as I can add my Outdoor Channel and use one reciever on 2 televisions. I think I will be able to get into Dish cheaper and have a lower monthly expense as well.

I do prefer some of the progamming of the Direct, but I am trying to pick my battles here.

It looks like there is no wrong way to go, just subtle details that I will most likely never notice anyway.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.