Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from another forum...

Okay.

I have tried to read thought many of the posts on this forum and I have searched the web in vain. So, please be gentle.

I have purchased a home and will be closing in the next week or so. I have decided to ditch cable and try something different.

I am completely green about the differences between Dish and Direct to the point that I can hardly make out what's what.

Can someone direct me to the primary differences between the services? Also, and I know this is a loaded question, what is better and why?

I am just looking to replace my cable and maybe pickup some additional programming as well. I need my local channels as well. It would appear that both services are offered in my area.

I need to supply signal to 2 rooms and I want to have a DVR as well. I do not need HD yet as I do not have any compatible displays. However, I may add one in the next 6 months or so. I don't need any kiddie programs as I'm a single guy with no little ones.

Is there any equipment/ services that would better than the other for my needs?

Thanks in advance. I know that getting asked over and over what's better probably gets old. But, I did not see any subjective posts one way or the other. I think it would be interesting to hear from those that converted from one service to the other and why as well.

Feel free to send me a message if you would prefer not to post it here.

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions!

Dave

·
Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Copied from another forum...

Okay.

I have tried to read thought many of the posts on this forum and I have searched the web in vain. So, please be gentle.

I have purchased a home and will be closing in the next week or so. I have decided to ditch cable and try something different.

I am completely green about the differences between Dish and Direct to the point that I can hardly make out what's what.

Can someone direct me to the primary differences between the services? Also, and I know this is a loaded question, what is better and why?

Both use basically the same technology so equipment and installation requirements are basically the same. They both offer the same types of services such as DVR and PPV stuff. The main difference is the programming packages. If your a sports nut, DTV is unbeatable, I would recommend you go to their web sites and view the available programming packages to see which one fits your needs.

I am just looking to replace my cable and maybe pickup some additional programming as well. I need my local channels as well. It would appear that both services are offered in my area.

I need to supply signal to 2 rooms and I want to have a DVR as well. I do not need HD yet as I do not have any compatible displays. However, I may add one in the next 6 months or so. I don't need any kiddie programs as I'm a single guy with no little ones.

From what I have heard from HD users (of one I am not) Dish has a better offering of HD channels than DTV, but it looks as though DTV is making up some ground.

Is there any equipment/ services that would better than the other for my needs?

Browse the various Hardware message boards for each. They both offer the same basic types of equiment.

Thanks in advance. I know that getting asked over and over what's better probably gets old. But, I did not see any subjective posts one way or the other. I think it would be interesting to hear from those that converted from one service to the other and why as well.

Feel free to send me a message if you would prefer not to post it here.

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions!

Dave
I've had DTV for 3 years and have been extremely happy with it (save for the current bugginess of their new DVR hardware...)

·
Registered
12,624 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
DTV has more sports and there HD lineup will surpass ETV bu the end of next year.

ETV's HD lineup consist's mostly of programming most people do not watch. Basically to look like they have more. But the HD programming ETV does carry that people watch is also available on DTV.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Thank you sir!

How importanrt do you feel service contracts are for new users?

Dave
I'm not a big supporter of the 'Protection Plans'. In three years, you'll spend $220 on it, which would cover the cost of replacing / fixing just about any peice of equipment that may go bad.

Save the money for the Extended Warranty on the Big Screen HD TV...

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Let me ask this. How do you feel the picture quality is when a HD package is used on a SD set? I have a buddy that says he is ready to go back to SD because he only has one HDTV in the house.

This will most likely be situation in my case.

Thanks again! It's nice to geet some straight answers.

Dave

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Also, I see that Dish has the ability to run 2 televisions at once from a reciever or DVR. Is that an option with Direct?

Dave
You pay either way...if you are referring to being able to watch 2 different shows on two different tv's at the same time ran by a single receiver. Directv has moved away from that model a few years ago, and I doubt it is available anymore...and the set up is annoying anyways on odd channel set up (channel 14~100). Even so, they charged the same price: $4.99 per month for the service to the other TV.

Now, it is just better to take the additional unit, the receiver that fed two rooms is an aging technology, and having a feed from the dish terminating to each receiver in the room you need service in is easier to manage. Example: You get 3 receivers, thus, 2 are "additional" receivers, and so you pay 4.99 x 2 for the mirroring or "lease" fees. Should any or all be a DVR, then an additional 5.99 per account (not per receiver) is added.

If you subscribe to Total Choice Premier (top tier of programming) then the DVR fee is waived. The additional receiver fees for "mirroring" or "lease" are never waived, even for employees.

·
Icon
761 Posts
I never had Dish, but when making the choice myself 6 months ago, DTV had all the channels we wanted and a better price.
As Verizon customers, we get a $6/month discount on DirectTV service.

We do not have any pay-channels (I mean like HBO, etc.). we do not watch sports and we do not have HDTV.

We do have a three year old, and we watch almost everything off a DVR, not live.

Thankfully we have a Tivo as well as our R15, because if we had to depend on the R15 as a DVR, we would NOT be happy customers.

As it is, we're pretty happy with DTV. Much happier than with Comcast cable and we're saving lots of money.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
What do you not like about Directs DVR? My girlfriend has TiVo and it's best thing since sliced bread. Am I better off getting my own TiVo an dusing it with the service?

Thanks!

Dave
Well, there's no simple answer ....
There are "standalone" Tivos that require a standalone DirecTV Receiver or cable box which are rather expensive. There are DirecTV/Tivo DVRs which are no longer available. And there are the new DirecTV DVRs that don't use Tivo software.

Some of the benefits of combining the DirecTV receiver and DVR together in one box compared to stand-alone Tivo's include ....

* dual tuners
* DD5.1 audio
* cheaper monthly fees
* better video quality, including HDTV with the HR20 HD DVR or older HR10-250 HD DirecTivo DVR

·
Icon
761 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
What do you not like about Directs DVR?
Dude, spend about 10 seconds reading the R15 forum here and you'll see.

litzdog911 said:
Well, there's no simple answer ....
There are DirecTV/Tivo DVRs which are no longer available.
Not available? Not, from DTV directly maybe, but absoutely widely and easily available and a great choice.

I'm waiting on arrival of mine right now.

We also have an SA Tivo hooked to a standard D11 receiver, but the price and the one tuner would make this a tough sell on it's own. We have it as our THIRD tuner, and we use it's network connectivity features, which none of the DTV DVRs have (without hacking), and we saved so much switching from Cable to DTV that we decided we could keep it and not notice the money in the scheme of things.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
What do you not like about Directs DVR? My girlfriend has TiVo and it's best thing since sliced bread. Am I better off getting my own TiVo an dusing it with the service?

Thanks!

Dave
Unfortunately, you're looking at $150 - $200 on the auction site for a used or new DirecTV TiVo DVR (The R-10 was the last version).

A common thread among D*TiVo users who (by choice or necessity) switched to the D*+ R15 is that they initially do not like the User Interface of the R15. It is more 'utilitarian' in appearance than the TiVo. However, after a short learning curve, many of them (myself included) come to prefer the R15 interface over the TiVo.

The 'current issues' thread posted at the top of the R15 forum has a good list of the most commonly reported issues.

Read through the R-15 posts for the last few months, look at what problems people have been reporting and decide if they are things that would make you fore go the cheap price of the R-15. Will you have all those problems, most likely not. Will you have a few of them, most likely yes. Remember, most people won't seek out a forum to express their satisfaction with something.

Another thing to consider is there is a 'Major Update' currently being sent to R15 users that (grain of salt here) promises to provide substantial improvements.

·
Icon
761 Posts
$100-$200 for a working, reliable DVR is quite reasonable, but since the R15 can be had essentially for free, and the monthly DVR service fee is pretty cheap, it's certainly worth trying for anyone, I think.

I could get used to the R15's UI. I can not get used to it screwing up my recordings.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ApK said:
$100-$200 for a working, reliable DVR is quite reasonable, but since the R15 can be had essentially for free, and the monthly DVR service fee is pretty cheap, it's certainly worth trying for anyone, I think.

I could get used to the R15's UI. I can not get used to it screwing up my recordings.
Is there a better unit than the R15 offered by Direct? Is there any difference in quality/ general issues between the HD and SD models? Or is there any difference at all?

I am going to take up the recommendation to read about the R15 as well. I appreciate that. In fact, a buddy of mine has Dish and commented on known issues with Directs DVR that Dish does not have.

I like the programming of Direct. Also, the channels I want aren't in a top tiered package.

Dave

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Is there a better unit than the R15 offered by Direct? Is there any difference in quality/ general issues between the HD and SD models? Or is there any difference at all?

I am going to take up the recommendation to read about the R15 as well. I appreciate that. In fact, a buddy of mine has Dish and commented on known issues with Directs DVR that Dish does not have.

I like the programming of Direct. Also, the channels I want aren't in a top tiered package.

Dave
Your buddy is wrong DISH DVR's have their problems too! And DISH loves to charge alot of"because we can"fees that DirecTV doesn't.Be sure to check out those fees if you decide on DISH!.Good Luck!:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.