DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know the difference between component and composite and if so how does composite get hooked up thanks

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Composite Video = single cable with RCA connectors on each end (usually yellow)
Component Video = 3 cables, color coded, with RCA connectors on each end

Component Video can handle HiDef video signals up to 1080i, while Composite Video can only handle standard definition video signals (480i).

In order of increasing video quality, from lowest to highest quality ....
* RF Coax
* Composite video
* SVideo
* Component video
* HDMI digital video

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Litzdog,

You left off pixie dust. :) Cuz thats what lots of broadcasters use to tell us that they can further compress the signal without losing picture quality. (BTW, I am not referring to any particular broadcaster or resender with this generalized comment.)

Happy Thanksgiving,
Tom

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Composite Video = single cable with RCA connectors on each end (usually yellow)
Component Video = 3 cables, color coded, with RCA connectors on each end

Component Video can handle HiDef video signals up to 1080i, while Composite Video can only handle standard definition video signals (480i).

In order of increasing video quality, from lowest to highest quality ....
* RF Coax
* Composite video
* SVideo
* Component video
* HDMI digital video
For what it is worth (not on the HR20) but DVI is the predecessor of HDMI. Both use essentially the same technology....splitting hairs but in case someone wonders.

* RF Coax
* Composite video
* SVideo
* Component video
* DVI or HDMI digital video

Also, for what it is worth (a fact many home owners don't realize) is that DVI & HDMI have a max cable length of ~15ft....especially if you are pushing 720P or 1080i bandwidths. So, if your settop is in a rack away from the TV or you're driving a PJ a ways aways........best medium is Component.

· Legend
125 Posts
thekochs said:
For what it is worth (not on the HR20) but DVI is the predecessor of HDMI. Both use essentially the same technology....splitting hairs but in case someone wonders.

* RF Coax
* Composite video
* SVideo
* Component video
* DVI or HDMI digital video

Also, for what it is worth (a fact many home owners don't realize) is that DVI & HDMI have a max cable length of ~15ft....especially if you are pushing 720P or 1080i bandwidths. So, if your settop is in a rack away from the TV or you're driving a PJ a ways aways........best medium is Component.
Not really depending on the cable and who makes it, I know home theater setups with 50ft DVI cables to projectors that work completely fine in High Def. Is it ideal no, but even Monster makes packaged HDMI and DVI cables longer then 15 ft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.