DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hitachi plasma which will except all the resolutions and i was just wandering what is the better format 720p or 1080i and if there is any advantage to component cable or using hdmi cable.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
It is just individual preference. I have a Mitsubishi rear projection with DVI port, and I got a HDMI to DVI cable, and the difference over component was amazing. It was like the difference of D* over basic analog cable for SD stations.

·
AllStar
54 Posts
have the 50" Plasma MaxEnt. HDMI is noticeably sharper than Component.

might not be true for all other brand or LCD or Rear Projection. might also be different PQ with HD cable and DishNetwork.

·
8 Posts
well livin said:
I have a hitachi plasma which will except all the resolutions and i was just wandering what is the better format 720p or 1080i and if there is any advantage to component cable or using hdmi cable.
Your plasma's native format/resolution is likely 720p so 1080i will be downscaled when viewed on it. You should definitely set your HR20 to output 720p content at 720p (i.e. don't force everything to 1080i) but you can try seeing which looks better - forcing the HR20 to downscale 1080i content to 720p itself (by not allowing it to output 1080i) or allowing the TV to downscale 1080i to 720p (by allowing the HR20 to send it the 1080i signal). Most likely, it'll look the same or better for the TV to downscale it than the HR20, but I could be wrong. Just play around with it.

As for using component video cables vs. an HDMI cable, there are a few things to understand first. HDMI transmits a digital signal to your television. It is much less susceptible to signal loss and interference causing picture problems on your TV. Even a $5 HDMI cable off ebay will usually work without any problems, in my experience. On the other hand, component video cables transmit an analog signal to your television. They are more susceptible to signal loss and interference causing loss of picture quality on your TV - especially with cheaper cables. With a decent set of component video cables you may never notice any difference in quality but there is more risk of them not looking as good as HDMI. So, I always recommend using HDMI (cheap cable or not) over component video, when possible.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
HDMI will permit the fullest resolution when the networks start using the Broadcast Flag whereas component might be forced to down-rez. I only say this because I've actually seen the flag warning on my HR10 when watching CSI two weeks ago...Couldn't tell if component was down-rezed, but its a sign...

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
tibber said:
HDMI will permit the fullest resolution when the networks start using the Broadcast Flag whereas component might be forced to down-rez. I only say this because I've actually seen the flag warning on my HR10 when watching CSI two weeks ago...Couldn't tell if component was down-rezed, but its a sign...

Cheers,
Tom
I didn't think the broadcast flag (OTA only) addresses down-rezing rather just copy none, once or many, but I could be wrong, too much to remember.

Personally I only use component or non CP DVI. It is my little protest against HDCP. I try to refuse to use or buy anything that puts this kind of overhead and compatibility issues on display interfaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.