DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Composit or Hdmi cables

6K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  rtd2 
#1 ·
Which is better for HD composite or hdmi cables. I have a 211 and a Toshiba without a tuner and am now using composite cables but I have hdmi in my Toshiba and also in the 211?

#3 ·
This mistake is made over and over again. People calling component cables composite. Component are marked RD GR & BL. Composite are YL, RD, & BLK (or WH). You can't display HD with composite cables. As far as which is better it will depend on the display that you have. Some work better w/ HDMI some with component.

#4 ·
whatchel1 said:
This mistake is made over and over again. People calling component cables composite. Component are marked RD GR & BL. Composite are YL, RD, & BLK (or WH). You can't display HD with composite cables. As far as which is better it will depend on the display that you have. Some work better w/ HDMI some with component.
The cables that I thought were composite from top to bottom are marked "y" "pb" and "pr" and colors from top are green, gray and red. Aren't they composite?

#6 ·
Component Video W/ Analog Audio

Composite W/ analog audio and an "S" video thrown in.

HDMI

Another Component cable

Composite

#9 ·
Most people say they cannot tell a difference between component and HDMI. It probably varies from TV to TV.

I put my 32-inch TV in the bedroom and have switched it from HDMI to component, and I can't tell any difference.

But you should probably buy a (cheap) HDMI cable and at least try it.

#12 ·
Something to remember...
Component = Analog
HDMI = Digital

Better error correction with digital.

#14 ·
William said:
Bad advice and NO WAY because they are far over priced for an extreme profit. :sure: Waist of good money and a monster profit for the Monster company. :eek2: MonoPrice has high qulity HDMI cables for a SMALL price. ;)
I just ordered a set of monoprice HDMI and component cables to replace the ones that I have originally installed with my VIP 622. I will report back if I see a difference in picture quality. With the cables I currently have, I actually think that my picture is better with component cables, especially SD. I am hoping that a better quality HDMI cable will be even better.

#19 ·
Hunter Green said:
The big advantage of component is that it works. When your 622's HDMI port dies, it won't matter how good the PQ is. :) Fortunately for me, my TV's image on component is just as good as HDMI was... once I realized to make the same adjustments to settings for that port as I'd made for the HDMI port! Don't forget to do that if you switch.
If you change from component to hdmi cables what changes do you have to make in setup? Your links no good.

#21 ·
transplant said:
If you change from component to hdmi cables what changes do you have to make in setup? Your links no good.
What link?

Most HDTVs with multiple inputs let you calibrate each input separately (brightness, contrast, sharpness, and all that). If you get it beautiful on HDMI and then look at component and don't calibrate there, you might get the mistaken impression the PQ suffers when maybe it doesn't. Seems obvious, but people forget.

#23 ·
Hunter Green said:
What link?

Most HDTVs with multiple inputs let you calibrate each input separately (brightness, contrast, sharpness, and all that). If you get it beautiful on HDMI and then look at component and don't calibrate there, you might get the mistaken impression the PQ suffers when maybe it doesn't. Seems obvious, but people forget.
The links just take one to the RSS icon for the site not the site.

#24 ·
William said:
Bad advice and NO WAY because they are far over priced for an extreme profit. :sure: Waist of good money and a monster profit for the Monster company. :eek2: MonoPrice has high qulity HDMI cables for a SMALL price. ;)
Agreed and if you need them NOW best buy has a HOUSE brand "acoustic research" which is great and a lot of times you can get them open box (RETURNS) and they are 70% off and like new!

***also dont know if its been mentioned but the last i knew hdmi is only 2.1 dolby digital thats why I had to use hdmi AND Coax audio for soudd to the plasma and I'm using RBG to Projector and I cnat tell the Diff on PQ***

#25 ·
I agree expensive HDMI cables are only necessary for long runs. Although, keep in mind though, that the "digital" signal is still analog in nature. High speed line drivers have analog circuitry to drive the differential voltages. If the "eye pattern" of each bit interval starts to close due to poor shielding, poor terminations etc... the receiver at the other end cannot successfully recover the bit stream. A high bit error rate can lead to degraded performance.

That being said, there is so much error correction on a Satelite feed, that it would have to be a very poor cable or a long run (>20 ft) to be of much concern. Safe bet is to make sure the HDMI cables are "HDMI" compliant and shop around.

Also, HDMI does support all the audio standards out today (Dolby Digital and DTS). There is new version of HDMI (version 1.3) that supports dolby True HD and DTS-HD, but these standards are only anticipated to be used in HD-DVD players (not satelite for some time). Regardless, True HD can be encoded (PCM) over existing HDMI cables anyway. If you can't get Dolby Digital out of your HDMI output of your 622 than I would check your HTS/RCVR (mine successfully detects and decodes it just fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.