DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Mentor
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer is hooked up to my DVR with an ethernet cable. This works great for down loading movies. I would like to hook this cable to my tv. However my tv does not have an input for ethernet. Is there some type of adapter I can get.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Some of the newer TVs connect to the internet via wireless connection.
My Samsung has a USB port for that. However, if I used that it has limited things it will operate from the TV.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
I guess the big question is what are you trying to do with your TV? What are you trying to hook up the Ethernet cable for?

- Merg

· AllStar
91 Posts
I don't think OP realizes ethernet is used to transmit data, not video (I'm purposely not including HDbaseT). Typically you would use DVI/HDMI to connect a TV to a PC.

· AllStar
91 Posts
"lokar" said:
My graphics card has an HDMI out that I use to go to my TV, I would recommend that since you can get some pretty long HDMI cord lengths although where your computer is in your house could be an issue.
Longer runs can cause a whole host of issues. Max I have done is 50 feet, I would not reccomend over 40 feet (15 meter)

· AllStar
91 Posts
"harperhometheater" said:
HDMI and DVI-D are "data" as well.
So you're telling me I can connect my DVI cable to my router?

No? Why are you choosing to make things more complicated for OP?

· Mentor
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I did not explain my situation very well. I have a wired router. It is connected to my DVR with an erthernet cable. I can download movies from Direct. I would like to connect it to my TV. However my TV does not have an erthernet input. Could I get an adapter that would work?

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
what is the make and model of your TV? is rare that a "smart TV" does not have an ethernet port. making me believe that your TV does not have any streaming features. I have a Samsung TV that is not an "smart TV" but have a useless ethernet port (apparently for software updates) which it has not got any in almost year and a half since I bought it.

· AllStar
91 Posts
"peds48" said:
what is the make and model of your TV? is rare that a "smart TV" does not have an ethernet port. making me believe that your TV does not have any streaming features. I have a Samsung TV that is not an "smart TV" but have a useless ethernet port (apparently for software updates) which it has not got any in almost year and a half since I bought it.
You would actually be surprised at how many TVs only do wifi these days.

· AllStar
91 Posts
"westview" said:
Maybe I did not explain my situation very well. I have a wired router. It is connected to my DVR with an erthernet cable. I can download movies from Direct. I would like to connect it to my TV. However my TV does not have an erthernet input. Could I get an adapter that would work?
Many devices are capable of providing "smart" features such as roku, vudu, and many blu-ray players. HOWEVER, the only way you can get directv on your TV is through a directv box OR one of the samsungs with RVU built in (but that requires a coax and HR34 [genie]).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.