DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking for help with my DTV install. Pretty detailed, sorry for the lengthy post. You all are pretty much my only hope. Unless the HOA comes through for me...

Just purchased a Condo, I own it and don't rent. I used DTV movers program and the installer came out to install my dish. Few minutes later he told me that I won't be able to get the HD sat's. Gave me his measuring tool to measure pitch and at 25 degrees the top section of these trees were blocking the view. :(

He didn't even try to get a signal or anything, just took some measurements and that was it. Also told me with a stern voice he will NOT do a bucket install. I believe I have the 5 LNB dish, so that might be why he wouldn't do the bucket install. I tried getting a local guy to come out for a second opinion but he kept avoiding me. I guess it wasn't worth his time and effort.

Below are some pictures I upload to the net, to better show my situation. Give or take on the pitch area, what I marked is roughly the area I was looking through his tool.

Here is the right side of my patio

Here is the left side of my patio

Side shot of my patio, the tech said if I mounted the dish on the base of my neighbors patio, I can get HD.

Will a tripod with an extension work for this situation? I'm in contact with the association, hopefully they will allow me to mount the dish a few feet on the side of the building just to get over the tree line. There is a DTV dish below me mounted to the bottom corner of the building. Maybe if they let that go up they will do the same for me.

Cheers :goodjob:

· Cool Member
10 Posts
thebeev said:
Hello all, looking for help with my DTV install. Pretty detailed, sorry for the lengthy post. You all are pretty much my only hope. Unless the HOA comes through for me...

Just purchased a Condo, I own it and don't rent. I used DTV movers program and the installer came out to install my dish. Few minutes later he told me that I won't be able to get the HD sat's. Gave me his measuring tool to measure pitch and at 25 degrees the top section of these trees were blocking the view. :(

He didn't even try to get a signal or anything, just took some measurements and that was it. Also told me with a stern voice he will NOT do a bucket install. I believe I have the 5 LNB dish, so that might be why he wouldn't do the bucket install. I tried getting a local guy to come out for a second opinion but he kept avoiding me. I guess it wasn't worth his time and effort.

Below are some pictures I upload to the net, to better show my situation. Give or take on the pitch area, what I marked is roughly the area I was looking through his tool.

Here is the right side of my patio

Here is the left side of my patio

Side shot of my patio, the tech said if I mounted the dish on the base of my neighbors patio, I can get HD.

Will a tripod with an extension work for this situation? I'm in contact with the association, hopefully they will allow me to mount the dish a few feet on the side of the building just to get over the tree line. There is a DTV dish below me mounted to the bottom corner of the building. Maybe if they let that go up they will do the same for me.

Cheers :goodjob:
u will not get a hd install in a bucket or a tripod point blank from any installer period!

· Hall Of Fame
1,006 Posts
If south arrow is correct in the picture than it will work just fine ,figure out what type mount they will approve,

If the dish was mounted to the railing just below the word south in your picture it would work fine.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Ok, so it seems that more or less the guy didn't want to do the job. With the activation of D11 all your programing is coming off 99 [ HD locals, newest HD ] 101 [ SD locals, core programming ] 103 [ New HD ]. Unless you need spanish / asian programming you don't need 119. Now the hardest part will be someone to do the connect without the 119.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Greatly appreciate it!

I just spoke with the president of the association. He said he doesn't mind the dish being mounted on the side of the building. I would just be responsible for any damages that come about with the dish being there. Like the dish falling off causing damage, water damage etc... I'm still going to try and push the patio route though.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
That's mighty nice of him. He'd probably be even happier if you had a pole mount, and probably so would you for all-around serviceability. Since the first installer is convinced you don't have LOS at the patio (28.5 deg EL for the 119), if you are able to get LOS from another location, a pole mount, normally at least $70 extra, should be free.

I'm not sure why the installer is looking at the trees across the street, when as Matt9876 says, the correct AZ is oblique to the trees, down the street to the SSW, at 220 degrees magnetic.

If you actually do have a LOS problem to the 119 from all available locations, you can hire your own custom installer who will ignore the 119 problem. Also, the Slimline 3 99/101/103 dishes should be available in your area, if not right now, very soon. A SL3 on a pole would be your best solution.

· Godfather
258 Posts
K4SMX said:
I'm not sure why the installer is looking at the trees across the street, when as Matt9876 says, the correct AZ is oblique to the trees, down the street to the SSW, at 220 degrees magnetic.
The 119 satellite is at 240 degrees magnetic, elevation 28.5 degrees. That's 60 degrees west of the "South" arrow, so the trees across the street (west) will certainly be a consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.