DBSTalk Forum banner

How much do you trust your HR20?

• I'm actually surprised when it works.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I schedule on the HR20 just in case, but rely on another DVR.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • It usually works, but I also record on a back-up DVR.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I expect it to usually work, but do double-check the To Do list.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • I am sure that whatever I schedule will be available for me to watch.

Votes: 36 40.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How confident are you in your HR20 recording what you told it to?

It seems to me confidence has dropped even more with the latest release, but wanted to see how others feel.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Mine's never missed a recording in 1.5 weeks (knocks on wood), but I do check the To Do list every night and I do have a backup DVR. I really just check the To Do list to confirm I have all my series links set up, so I compare it to the To Do list on my R10.

·
Legend
109 Posts
mtnagel said:
Mine's never missed a recording in 1.5 weeks (knocks on wood), but I do check the To Do list every night and I do have a backup DVR. I really just check the To Do list to confirm I have all my series links set up, so I compare it to the To Do list on my R10.
Mine's never missed a recording either. Granted I don't have more than about 10 things set to record, but knock on wood, no problem yet.

Before the last update, I did have trouble with MPEG-2 (yes, 2) playback, but that seems to have been fixed.

-Chuck

·
AllStar
59 Posts
matto said:
How confident are you in your HR20 recording what you told it to?

It seems to me confidence has dropped even more with the latest release, but wanted to see how others feel.
Everything records fine for me. The only exception is my series for The Office, but I'm still trying to work it out.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
I've had mine about a month now, I guess, and last Friday (13th), I had what I thought was my first missed recording - an episode of Numbers that showed up in my history as deleted. I looked at the program description and it was a first run episode that I'd never seen. I was kinda bummed, but figured I'd catch it on reruns, as Numbers isn't one of those shows that you HAVE to catch every week or risk getting lost in an ongoing story line.

However, I discovered this weekend, that the episode that taped Friday the 20th, was in fact the episode that had been listed on the 13th. Not sure if it ended up being a change in programming at the last minute, or if I missed a *different* first run last week - hadn't taken the time to check it out.

I have noticed that some of my recording that show up as "cancelled" in the history, if I look at the series link, they are scheduled to record at a later date. For instance, there's an RC show on one channel in the 600s, and I noticed the other day that an episode had been cancelled. When I went to the series link though, the "cancelled" recording was an episode that was scheduled to record in the next few days. Not sure why it cancelled the earlier recording and kept a later one, but that's been the bulk of my issues with the new machine.

I have only a dozen or so series links set up, and we don't live and die by the TV, so if it misses something, it's not a big deal for us, but I've had really good luck with the box so far. The only lockup I had was about 5 minutes after the installer turned it on. Other than that, it's been pretty good fur us. :)

My fingers are starting to get a little sore from being constantly crossed, but hey, it seems to work.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
I replaced the HR10-250 in my bedroom with the HR20 until it proves to be worthy of
the basement. I use my trusty HD Tivo in the basement.

My wife said the HR20 makes a nice night light.

·
Icon
828 Posts
The only thing I lost was the NASCAR Cup race on Sat., 10-14.
It was recorded from an SD signal of the NBC local. (We do not get the HD signal from them yet).
It made me skittish for yesterday's race so I programmed it on both HR20s and my HR10.
Both 20s recorded it fine, but I will still do a double backup until the last race.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Missed the Office one time (partial recording, this needs to be fixed)
Missed one HD NFLST (sports sub bug?)

Other than that it's been good. I even have a decent WAF.

I voted usually expect but check to-do list. I do this with my Tivo unit as well so no biggie.

·
Legend
238 Posts
I have had mine for about 4 weeks now and I have only had 1 recording fail. That was early on when I was having terrible reception. I had the installers back 5 times and after all of those trips and the many software updates, it is now working quite good.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
So far the HR 20 seems to record what I schedule, I hope it will continue to do so, as my only back up DVR is the...R 15!! :eek2: :nono2:

Well I am editing this post now because I spoke too soon. After I signed off I turned on the TV just to see the bottom two thirds of the screen black, the top one third had the user interface, the blue boxes but they were blank. No channel banner, logo or date and time. Nothing. I tried changing channels, nothing. I had to do a red button reset. When the HR 20 booted back up I checked My VOD to find out that nothing had recorded since Sunday afternoon's Colts game. Nothing. None of my series links or single episode shows had recorded. I checked History and for all of the shows missed, about eight, it said Partial after each one. But there wasn't even a partial recording in the MYVOD. I had changed native to "on" Sunday night and that's the first lock up I've had since getting the unit first week of Oct. I switched Native to "off" this morning, far as I can tell all of today's shows recorded. At least they are all in the MyVOD list. Whether this was just an unfortunate coincidence or having native on, caused it I don't know. For now I am leaving native to "off".

The really Halloweenish part is after I did the reset on the HR 20 I went to another room to watch TV on the R 15 only to find out it was locked up and needed a red button reset. The R 15 had recorded all scheduled shows except "Heroes" last night. It didn't lock up until early Tuesday morning. At first it didn't want to boot up, it took pushing the red button two separate times, once it finally booted up it started right at the "acquiring guide from satellite" or whatever, no welcome screen or almost there. Strange but after all that's the R 15's middle name. But it's frustrating not being able to rely on either DVR. I just want to get my shows recorded, why is that asking too much with these DVR's?? :( :confused:

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Missed a series link recording last night - The Amazing Race on CBS non-HD local. As far as I know, this was the first time. The Amazing Race is not in MyVOD. It shows up as partial in the history. Was recording a stephen hawking show on Science and watching previous recording at the same time. No one stopped the recording.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
In a week, I've missed one series link (but that might have been my bad) and had an NFLST HD game deleted yesterday.

That said, I've often relied on a second recorder to backup anything I felt was important. While I haven't had any recently, I had plenty of hard drive problems over the years.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.