DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a two family house and the people upstairs from me have decided to get DirecTV and share the bill with me. Currently I have a 5LNB dish, 1 R10 and an HR20. What is needed to add another HD receiver upstairs?

I think I only have 3 lines dropped at the moment (2 for HD dual tuners, and 1 for the single tuner SD box). The two lines come in on the same wall and first hit some kind of HD filter then go to the bbc's and to the receiver. The single line enters through the wall in a completely different room. The new lines upstairs will have to enter into the above apartment. There is no attic or anything like that.

Can someone please advise on what kind of multiswitch I would need and if an installation like this is even possible. Would prefer to do this myself if possible since the DTV installers were some of the worst I have ever seen. TIA!

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mjones73 said:
You need a WB68 with all 4 lines from the dish run to it. I believe they can be mounted outdoors near the dish to simplify things.
thanks for the tip. so would i also need a second one of those adapters that is in my apartment? i think the tech said it was some sort of grounding adapter or something. he said that we couldn't get the HD without it. Or does the Zinwell 6x8 pretty much take care of all that and the lines that run from it are able to do what they need?

any reccommended sites on where to pick up the WB68? none of the alliance members above seem to have that type stuff. Thanks again!

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdspencer said:
Try http://solidsignal.com for that WB68 multiswitch.

As stated, you'll need all four lines from the dish to be connected to the WB68. These four lines should be connected through a grounding block before the WB68.
thank you! that makes a lot of sense now. so once the lines are beyond the grounding block they enter the WB68 and can proceed inside with no further adapters. Are all these items waterproof?

AT9>4lines>grounding block>4lines>WB68>5 lines --- through wall --- >BBC>receiver

^ that look correct?

my current grounding block only has 2 connectors so I guess I will need to buy a different one. solidsignal also have those?

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=PVGBQHFUL

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
I would suggest that you move the WB68 inside if that is an option. Not a requirement, but if you wiring is all going to go inside at the point of the multiswitch, then move it inside. If your wiring is going to go around the outside of the house, then leave it outside.

Not everything is waterproof. You need to use the proper type of connectors and caps of them to get waterproof/resistant. It is recommended the multiswitch be placed in an area that is protected from weather if possible.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
2,459 Posts
scheckeNYK said:
I live in a two family house and the people upstairs from me have decided to get DirecTV and share the bill with me. Currently I have a 5LNB dish, 1 R10 and an HR20. What is needed to add another HD receiver upstairs?

I think I only have 3 lines dropped at the moment (2 for HD dual tuners, and 1 for the single tuner SD box). The two lines come in on the same wall and first hit some kind of HD filter then go to the bbc's and to the receiver. The single line enters through the wall in a completely different room. The new lines upstairs will have to enter into the above apartment. There is no attic or anything like that.

Can someone please advise on what kind of multiswitch I would need and if an installation like this is even possible. Would prefer to do this myself if possible since the DTV installers were some of the worst I have ever seen. TIA!
I can tell that you had bad installers. If you have a R10, you have a dual tuner TiVo box. You would be able to record two channels at once if you had two sat inputs to the receiver. The multiswitch that has been recommended would give you more than enough outputs to do what you want. If you have a D10, though, you so have a single tuner receiver.

However, I would urge you to have the other family open their own account vice sharing yours. In addition to being a violation of your service agreement with D*, you could find yourself on the hook for thier PPV fees if they would ever stiff you. That can run into hundreds of dollars! They could set up an account without having an installer come if they purchase their receiver at a retailer, or you could get them to sign up through the "Spread the Word" program and get a $100 credit on your account.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Newshawk said:
I can tell that you had bad installers. If you have a R10, you have a dual tuner TiVo box. You would be able to record two channels at once if you had two sat inputs to the receiver. The multiswitch that has been recommended would give you more than enough outputs to do what you want. If you have a D10, though, you so have a single tuner receiver.

However, I would urge you to have the other family open their own account vice sharing yours. In addition to being a violation of your service agreement with D*, you could find yourself on the hook for thier PPV fees if they would ever stiff you. That can run into hundreds of dollars! They could set up an account without having an installer come if they purchase their receiver at a retailer, or you could get them to sign up through the "Spread the Word" program and get a $100 credit on your account.
thanks for pointing that out about the seperate accts. i did not know that. maybe it's just easier to have them do their own thing instead of moving all my wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.