DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of these questions might have been answered elsewhere, but since my question is specific to SD I thought I would ask.

My 811 may or may not be having problems and during a tech support call I asked about what it would take to upgrade to a 211 receiver. I admit by the time I got through talking to the representative I was fairly confused, and we did not go through with the deal being offered.

We have the AT180 package and I do not have an HD monitor or television. We don't have the intention of getting one until later next year. I understand that if I had an 211 receiver and did not get HD programming from the website that I would pay $6 a month access fee.

Here is what I got told (some of which I was told was new/upcoming policy):

1) No home installation, it had to be installed by one of their support representative. A real problem for me being far away from a service representative.

2) You had to have an HD monitor/television, or they would not install it. I wonder now whether a PC monitor with DVI interface would have been enough.

3) Unsure of this one - Had to have some HD programming? (I think the representative was just pressing me to order a package at that point).

Does this sound correct?

Another question...
I understand the 211 doesn't have the UHF remote (I thought that was weird), but it does have a kit. What is the IR to UHF kit? I forgot to ask the price.

Apologize if there are any errors above it is very early here.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
blkhouse said:
I know some of these questions might have been answered elsewhere, but since my question is specific to SD I thought I would ask.

My 811 may or may not be having problems and during a tech support call I asked about what it would take to upgrade to a 211 receiver. I admit by the time I got through talking to the representative I was fairly confused, and we did not go through with the deal being offered.

We have the AT180 package and I do not have an HD monitor or television. We don't have the intention of getting one until later next year. I understand that if I had an 211 receiver and did not get HD programming from the website that I would pay $6 a month access fee.

Here is what I got told (some of which I was told was new/upcoming policy):

1) No home installation, it had to be installed by one of their support representative. A real problem for me being far away from a service representative.

2) You had to have an HD monitor/television, or they would not install it. I wonder now whether a PC monitor with DVI interface would have been enough.

3) Unsure of this one - Had to have some HD programming? (I think the representative was just pressing me to order a package at that point).

Does this sound correct?

Another question...
I understand the 211 doesn't have the UHF remote (I thought that was weird), but it does have a kit. What is the IR to UHF kit? I forgot to ask the price.

Apologize if there are any errors above it is very early here.
1) Almost always yes, they insist on installing.
2) No, you don't even have to have a TV.
3) Yes, if you lease you must order one of the three HD packages. If you purchase you must order one of them or pay an additional fee.

I hadn't heard of an IR to UHF kit for the 211.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
If you do not have HD package on your current setup, not sure why you would want a 211 as there are increased costs and you wind up with everything the 811 has except maybe no guid info on your ota's (you need to subscribe to the local package to have them on a 211). Additional costs would be $6 lease instead of $5 (if you are leasing the 811 - you didn't state), the $6 HD access fee and the added charge of upgrading your dish (I think that is required even if you do not get the HD package - not sure on this one). And you pay all this money to get exactly what you have now. I don't think is would be worth it in your case.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
I'm with garys - you didn't state any NEED for a ViP receiver and all you may get is added costs and loss of some features. If there is a problem with the 811, you can add DHPP at $5.99/month and get it replaced. The ViP $6 lease fee will apply even if it is your only receiver which is an increase of $1 if you see a lease fee on your bill now for the 811 or a $6 increase if there isn't a current lease fee listed. That is in addition to the $6 HD Enable fee if you choose to not subscribe to a HD package.

If you WANT HD Locals, you'd need the ViP receiver and would have to balance the negatives of the upgrade against what you'd gain. The "IR to UHF kit" is named backwards to me since it uses a (UNIQUE) UHF remote and the receiving station converts that UHF signal to IR to send to the receiver. That will work to send IR signals to any DISH IR receiver (excluding the 7x00 Dishplayers). They can be found for $40 or less. http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/accessories/index.shtml
That doesn't mention that the UHF remote it uses is different from the UHF Pro 8.0 you may have now for the 811. Detailed info at http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/remote/IR-to-UHFProUpgradeKit132327.pdf

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Also worth mentioning... at some point they will have to run out of existing 811s for use in replacing... so it may even be possible one day to get a 211 in exchange for a broken 811 as time goes by.

I'm sure it wouldn't happen now... but in the near future it is bound to happen as Dish wants folks to upgrade anyway... so if you don't have an HDTV or plans to get one anytime soon... you are probably better off getting the 811 replaced.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
HDMe said:
Also worth mentioning... at some point they will have to run out of existing 811s for use in replacing... so it may even be possible one day to get a 211 in exchange for a broken 811 as time goes by.

I'm sure it wouldn't happen now... but in the near future it is bound to happen as Dish wants folks to upgrade anyway... so if you don't have an HDTV or plans to get one anytime soon... you are probably better off getting the 811 replaced.
Since you can essentially get a free upgrade from the 811 to 211, so if you have any desire for the new channels go for it. The only question is are you willing to pay for the new HD package vs your current package.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The weird part was that the "must have an HD receiver" was definitely emphasized to me as being a mandatory part of the deal.

As for your other questions. This was a purchased 811 and because it would be a great hassle to get an installation done in the future, and I was going to have to pay for a replacement part for the 811. There was a question whether the cost of the upgrade $49 would and payment of $6 for six or eight months would be equivalent to less hassle before we got an HD monitor. It would be over but not too much.

As for the other, I don't want a service plan that would require an installer to come for everything - we live too far away, and it has always took two or three weeks for a response.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
tnsprin said:
Since you can essentially get a free upgrade from the 811 to 211, so if you have any desire for the new channels go for it. The only question is are you willing to pay for the new HD package vs your current package.
For the most part, it being free is more for upgrading HD package. If you don't take the package you incur more fees. and hardly any discounts.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
With a little bit of Search, you should be able to find lots of posts from people that did an upgrade to lease a ViP receiver and kept their current programming. I've never seen a single post from someone that wanted to do so (most don't) and wasn't able to - just people saying it would be required. It couldn't hurt to phone and ask a different CSR. You can get different answers to most questions.

Nothing is really free. The offer originally announced on a Chat was that 811 users could "NET $50" by doing an upgrade. Pay $50 and get $100 back. There is still the $100 offer spread over 10 months, but to get it you will increase your monthly costs. A little for some people, a lot for others. Since you own the 811 and it is your only receiver, your bill would go up by $6 for the 211 lease. An odd quirk of the existing customer upgrade (DIU) is the monthly cost for you would be the same if you keep the 811 active and add a 211 as what it would be if you replace the 811 with the 211. If you elect to keep your current programming, add $6 more for the HD Enable fee.

If you do decide to upgrade to HD channels, you qualify for the $10/month for 10 months rebate. That offsets some of the monthly cost increase to get it, or some of the upfront cost of the upgrade - whichever way you want to look at it. You will pay the added $6 lease fee but avoid the HD Enable fee (waived with DishHD subscription). The DishHD packages are $20 more than their ATxxx versions but HD Platinum is only $15 more than AEP. Some of that increase is reduced if you currently pay for HD Pak ($10) and Voom ($5). So if you are AEP+HD+Voom now, your only monthly increase would be the $6 lease. If you only subscribe to AT120 + Locals now, you'd increase by $26/month to get HD Silver + locals with the ViP 211.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.