DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in a Radeon 9800 graphics cards into my pc for test purposes. Its supposed to have the ability for tv input. Does anyone know of a cable I can purchase to connect a directv dvr receiver to my radeon 9800 graphics card?

· Hall Of Fame
1,523 Posts
Is it an All-in-Wonder card? If so, you will have a cable that allows input and will have the regular AV jacks needed to do so. If not, I don't believe the standard Radeon card has input capabilities, output only.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
mrbarker said:
I just put in a Radeon 9800 graphics cards into my pc for test purposes. Its supposed to have the ability for tv input. Does anyone know of a cable I can purchase to connect a directv dvr receiver to my radeon 9800 graphics card?
Is that an input or an output? My 9600 only had an output.
You would need to have the all-in-one [with the TV tuner] to have an input.
My TV tuner cards will accept the S-Video/composite SD outputs from my receivers.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,481 Posts
mrbarker said:
My card has input and output for video
We could spend a lot of time guessing what you have or you could come out and tell us the manufacturer and model of the card that you have. Radeon 9800 describes no less than 100 different cards of differing capability.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
That sounds like the Radeon All-in-Wonder 9800. I used to have the exact same card. I only replaced it when I upgraded to Vista because it does not support the capture functions on the AIW. I switched to two separate cards – a Radeon X1650 and a TV Wonder 650 video capture card.

Just connect the L/R audio and S-Video outputs from the D* receiver to the inputs on the Radeon’s connecting block and you’re set. Just make sure to select the appropriate input the source in whatever capture software you use. I use Pinnacle Studio and it does a decent job, albeit slowly on post-edit transcoding since there’s no hardware acceleration on the card.

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I will need software to watch the tv feed as well? Im not looking to use the computer as a DVR, just spare tv really without spending $500 on a new lcd :) Any recommnedations on software to watch the tv feed?

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
mrbarker,

To be clear, first off you still need a DirecTV receiver to feed your computer. There is no TV card that incorporates the DirecTV receiver.

You can feed s-video or composite (yellow) video from any DirecTV receiver. You can also feed modulated channel 3/4 signal from most SD DirecTV receivers.

On your computer, you need whatever software it takes to access and view the s-video or composite video input.

And, at the end of the process, all you will have on your monitor is SD.

Carl

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes.. I have a spare directv receiver and I am only interested in the SD channels.. I found a 44mb download on ati's website so I think I have everything I need to start playing around; other then being stuck in the office

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
mrbarker said:
So I will need software to watch the tv feed as well? Im not looking to use the computer as a DVR, just spare tv really without spending $500 on a new lcd :) Any recommnedations on software to watch the tv feed?
If you are using Windows XP, the programs that came with the card (or better yet, the latest versions downloaded from the ATI/AMD website) include a TV program as well as a PC-based DVR program, so in effect, you could use your PC as a DVR. It's only if you want to take the recorded video and burn it to a DVR-R would you need some other software.

The ATI "media center" software has a really cool feature you can enable so that when you minimize the TV window, it actually "transposes" the input video on top of (or underneath?) the entire desktop. You can be working full-screen, say in a Word document, with a semi-transparent TV window overlaying it. At first it might seem annoying, but after a while, you get used to it. It's great for working while keeping a news program in the background. I really miss that since I switched to Vista. Oh, and I'm not a Vista hater - I have it on all my PC's and really like it. I just miss this particular feature and hate that ATI was not able to make it work under Vista for whatever reason.

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok.. so all the software is correct and yes im running Vista, but it wont bother me to not have the video running in the background... All I need now is the cable from the directv to the graphics card...

Im guessing VGA on the directv receiver, but I cant figure out what for the graphics cards side.. It looks like S-Video but its different... If anyone knows what cable or switch I need for that Id be greatly appeciative

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
mrbarker said:
Ok.. so all the software is correct and yes im running Vista, but it wont bother me to not have the video running in the background... All I need now is the cable from the directv to the graphics card...

Im guessing VGA on the directv receiver, but I cant figure out what for the graphics cards side.. It looks like S-Video but its different... If anyone knows what cable or switch I need for that Id be greatly appeciative
"VGA on the directv receiver", this makes no sense. :confused:

As for your ATI card, you would need to find the "pigtail" [cable] that came with it [or should have]. This is what would have the composite/S-Video connection.

· Godfather
388 Posts
mrbarker said:
Perfect!! Thats what ive been looking for.. Sorry for not being able to explain it better to everyone
You are going to want to make sure that your card is an All-in-Wonder and/or it accepts inputs. I think you may be jumping the gun a bit and confusing yourself. Does the display on your computer support DVI with HDCP by any chance?

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
David MacLeod said:
AIW 9800 has issues on vista, don't spend too much money on this without being sure it will work.
That's right…I don't believe the capture function will work at all. From ATI's website:

"Note: All-in-Wonder™ boards operate with AMD Windows Vista-Ready Display Drivers under the Windows Vista Operating System. However there is currently no software application which provides TV/Capture functionality for All-in-Wonder™ boards under Windows Vista."

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.