DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a Sony receiver over the weekend. It is the type with the DVD built in.

I am unsure how to hook up the audio optical cable

Currently from the 622 I have a HDMI cable to the TV and a optical cable from the 622 to the receiver. Is this correct? or my TV also has a audio out, so should I go from the TV to the receiver?

When the audio cable is connect from the 622 -> receiver, I really have to turn up the volume on the receiver to hear anything. Normally when I watch a DVD or the radio, I can set the volume to 8 to 10, but with I watch TV I have to turn up the volume to 18+. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!!

Dave

· AllStar
95 Posts
I'm assuming the sony is a home theater in a box instead of a true receiver, so it doesn't have an HDMI in.

If this is true then you do have it hooked up correctly....622's HDMI to TV and 622's optical out to the receiver. If it has an HDMI in, you can use either.

The TV audio out will not pass the DD 5.1 of the HD channels thru. It will down-convert it to 2 channel. While this may not be true for 100% of the TVs out there, I have yet to hear of one that can. So, I would not hook it up this way. It can't hurt to test it tho.

The low audio level seems to be the norm for the 622. It used to be that the SD channels were a lot louder than the HD channels, but the latest software seems to have made the level more even between SD and HD.

There are several threads on here about why the DD5.1 signal is so low, so if you need the technical reasons, I suggest you search for those.

Enjoy your new toy.

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
davethis said:
We bought a Sony receiver over the weekend. It is the type with the DVD built in.

I am unsure how to hook up the audio optical cable

Currently from the 622 I have a HDMI cable to the TV and a optical cable from the 622 to the receiver. Is this correct? or my TV also has a audio out, so should I go from the TV to the receiver?

When the audio cable is connect from the 622 -> receiver, I really have to turn up the volume on the receiver to hear anything. Normally when I watch a DVD or the radio, I can set the volume to 8 to 10, but with I watch TV I have to turn up the volume to 18+. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!!
Dave,
I have one of those Sony's in one of my rooms....I think they're called "Dream Systems."
Your connections are correct, as stated. Either HDMI or Component from the 622 to the TV, and Optical from the 622 to the Sony. The digital sound portion of HDMI is disabled when optical is connected from the 622.

BTW, I've had the unit 7 years now, and its been flawless. Given, the surround is not by any means the best, but for a secondary room, and I'm not all that discriminating, I've been very happy with it. I did find the remote a bit cumbersome, but OK once I got used to it.

If you haven't already, one thing I found to greatly enhance the sound quality, is to use Sony's Quick Setup...the one where they show a graphic of your room, and allow you to adjust each speaker to your TV and seat positions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.