DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge of what it take to make this happen where I can view my Directv programming over my pc? I ran my hdmi cable from the receiver to my pc (hdmi-in port) and trying to use Windows Media Center to set up the tv side of it, but of course it says it doesn't detect a tv tuner.

I'm running Windows 7 and the receiver is a Directv HR23-700

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
You would just connect it straight to the monitor and have to use rca or optical out for sound into your computers sound card. If you're trying to get it setup so the HD DVR goes through your OS the answer no because your HDMI in port, first off will not register as HDCP compatible, and secondly you would have to have a program that would allow it to act as a video passthrough and no one would want to make a program like that and use the technology needed because of licenses.

So if you're just trying to use a monitor and your pc for sound instead of TV you can. If you're attmpting to get video/sound to the monitor through the computer you won't get it. Considering the only reason to do this would be for screen capturing.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
116 Posts
I highly doubt that HDMI port is an input. Is it the HDMI port on your video card? Thats going to be output only.

You'd need to buy either a Hauppauge HD-PVR or the Hauppauge Colussus.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
152 Posts
Scott Kocourek said:
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
I have a feeling that he wants to make DVD's from his dvr recordings.

Valve1138 said:
You'd need to buy either a Hauppauge HD-PVR or the Hauppauge Colussus.
Exactly right. You do need a fairly powerful cpu to get the best out of those products. But they do work extremely well after they're set-up. And then you can burn HD video on either dvd's or bd's.

I would go with the HD-PVR because it takes advantage of the "analog hole" and 1080i is as good as it gets for most broadcasts anyway..
 

·
MRVing
Joined
·
4,117 Posts
I use the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR to record component video, but of course you must record in real time. Gotta use analog/component unless you have some way around the HDMI digital protection scheme, and everyone knows how aggressive these companies are with their DRM.

The Hauppauge and it's included software record a transport stream file on your PC (and maybe other formats too, I forget as I don't use them). I don't mess around with the included software for manipulating the recorded file(s) but instead use the HD version VideoReDo which works very well. Also use Pinnacle Studio but I'm sure there are other programs out there that will work.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
7,058 Posts
riskybzns said:
Does anyone have any knowledge of what it take to make this happen where I can view my Directv programming over my pc? I ran my hdmi cable from the receiver to my pc (hdmi-in port) and trying to use Windows Media Center to set up the tv side of it, but of course it says it doesn't detect a tv tuner.

I'm running Windows 7 and the receiver is a Directv HR23-700

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
You wont be able to use your WMC to schedule and record shows with Directv.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
322 Posts
dettxw said:
I use the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR to record component video, but of course you must record in real time. Gotta use analog/component unless you have some way around the HDMI digital protection scheme, and everyone knows how aggressive these companies are with their DRM.

The Hauppauge and it's included software record a transport stream file on your PC (and maybe other formats too, I forget as I don't use them). I don't mess around with the included software for manipulating the recorded file(s) but instead use the HD version VideoReDo which works very well. Also use Pinnacle Studio but I'm sure there are other programs out there that will work.
Ya I started using adobe premiere elements with my HD PVR recordings
I have it record to a MP4 file then open with premiere and auto analyze it and can then do all the editing I want

Finaly something that makes use of atleast 1/2 my ram, but now I feel I need a better CPU
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am PLEASED to announce that I found the piece I needed at microcenter and it done the trick.

Had to play around with the software a little bit, but I got it to work. And I am able to record the shows from within the software and burn them to a disc! In one word today was, successful!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top