DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Channelvision C-1158 multiswitch that I have installed in place of a Zinwell WB68 switch. I only get reception on a few channels with the others stating "searching for signal on satellite 2... (771)". The head on the Directv dish is labelled DTVSDLNB. I have installed and removed the 22khz tone generators supplied with the switch with no change. I changed to the new switch so I could install a camera at my front door. Looking for some help in figuring out the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
it sounds like the channelvision switch is filtering out some of the bands that DirecTV uses . It is probably not compatible. I would just run a separate coax for the camera.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
Those old ChannelVision switches were powered 4x8 (or 5x8?) switches that would work with dishes up to the Triple-Sat or "Phase 3" dish. They are not wideband switches and will not work with the current DirecTV HD systems. Only the Zinwell WB 6x8 and 6x16 switches, and the SWM switches, can do that.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
70spoonman said:
Looking for some help in figuring out the problem. Thanks
"The problem" [as others have posted] is it has a port for OTA, which means it doesn't pass the Ka-lo SAT signals in the 250-750 MHz band.
This has been discontinued because its been obsolete for several years now.

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Sorry, you just found out the hard way that a lot of stuff out there labeled "DirecTV compatible" . . . isn't.

The C-1158 has been discontinued by CV for good reason. It's way way out of date. It was compatible in the pre-Slimline, pre-Ka satellite days, but those days are gone. When DTV changed over to the present HD system, a lot of prior hardware compatibility was pretty much thrown under the bus. Ask anyone who owned an HR10-250 HD DVR. (says he who used to own four of them!)

The new DTV system also pretty much precludes ever doing what you want to do, which is modulating a house camera to an RF channel which is then diplexed over the same cable as the satellite. That ability too, has been deep sixed. DTV no longer officially supports diplexing in any form.

About all I can think of is that IF your present system is all DVRs, each one having two cables going to it, you could convert all your DVRs to new HR2x types, convert your dish and wiring to the modern one-wire SWM system using splitters, and this would leave an unused cable to each location that you could then fashion into a separate network that could carry things like off-the-air antenna signals, modulated cameras, etc. I know people (me) who have done exactly that in similar situations. The satellite side of that scenario is all covered by ordering the DirecTV "Whole Home DVR" service. Naturally this costs some bucks.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
PokerJoker said:
The new DTV system also pretty much precludes ever doing what you want to do, which is modulating a house camera to an RF channel which is then diplexed over the same cable as the satellite. That ability too, has been deep sixed. DTV no longer officially supports diplexing in any form.
"pretty much", doesn't mean "impossible".
Yes, diplexing is no longer supported AND if the connected home networking [DECA] is ever going to be added, then "impossible" starts to become true.

With SWiM and no DECA, the band is free for the camera if it's below 950 MHz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.