DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connecting The HR20 to Multiple TVs

19K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Canis Lupus 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanx for advice so far---- but how can i connect 3 tvs--all high def using the hdmi output on the hr20----since this carries both audio and video in one cable--- and any precautions u would suggest and any manufactures u wouls suggest along with distance limitations? thanx

Milominderbinder2 said:
Thank you for your feedback. Several corrections and clarifications are now added. - Craig

#3 ·
juztfurfun said:
Thanx for advice so far---- but how can i connect 3 tvs--all high def using the hdmi output on the hr20----since this carries both audio and video in one cable--- and any precautions u would suggest and any manufactures u wouls suggest along with distance limitations? thanx
Craig, you state that the RF Mod won't convert HD to SD. But what happens if my romote tv is SD and I tune to an HD station -- hash/snow but no impact? I'd like to use the HR20 in a remote room with existing coax from my previous SD DVR for the SD channels. If all I get is snow, no problem. If there are other possible problems (what I couldn't say), I'd like to know. I also think this should be stated in the PDF. thanks

#4 ·
richlife said:
Craig, you state that the RF Mod won't convert HD to SD. But what happens if my remote TV is SD and I tune to an HD station -- hash/snow but no impact? I'd like to use the HR20 in a remote room with existing coax from my previous SD DVR for the SD channels. If all I get is snow, no problem. If there are other possible problems (what I couldn't say), I'd like to know. I also think this should be stated in the PDF. thanks
The HR20, automatically converts signals to the appropriate resolution.

How about if I add this at the beginning of the PDF:

While your Component and HDMI are outputting HD, your S-Video and Composite outputs are in Standard Definition.

- Craig

#5 ·
Can I run a 50 FOOR Component video cable to a 2nd TV <---Click here to be taken right to the post that contains your search hit.

I know both HDMI and Component will work - but will a 50 foot cable work or is that too far away and the signal will degrade ? I know I can only show the same thing on both TVs...

Thanks

#6 ·
jhruth said:
Can I run a 50 FOOR Component video cable to a 2nd TV <---Click here to be taken right to the post that contains your search hit.

I know both HDMI and Component will work - but will a 50 foot cable work or is that too far away and the signal will degrade ? I know I can only show the same thing on both TVs...

Thanks
Others report that they have had good results. I have used monoprice.com 25' component cables without any problems. Get the better shielded ones. Even shielded are still dirt cheap.

- Craig

#8 ·
OK. I read everything I could find on this forum--including the one-page pdf--about connecting the HR20 to multiple TVs, and I'm still lost. I'm with Dish right now but plan to switch to DirectTV within the next few months once I get my HDTV. I have several newb questions, so please bear with me.

Will all the outputs from the HR20 display the same channel, or can I watch two different channels on two different TVs? Will it output to two HDTVs or just one HD and one SD? How does the RF modulator work? I read the part about hooking it up to the home's antenna to transmit the signal. Does that mean I would hook the HR20 to an RF modulator, hook the modulator to the antenna, and then it would transmit the signal to the other TV with no cables going to the other TV? If I also use my antenna for HD locals, would the RF modulation interfere?

Once again, sorry for all the newbie questions. However, hooking the DVR up to two TVs is a must for me. If I can't figure it out, then I'll probably go with Dish's HD since their DVR painlessly connects to two TVs, but I really like the many more HD channels on DirectTV right now.

Thanks!

#9 ·
All the outputs from the HR20 display the same channel.

You can output HDMI and Componenet in HD at the same time.

The RF Modulator is an external box. You can see them at Menards or Home Depot. The HR20 then becomes a TV station broadcasting in your home throguh your RG6 cable on channel 3 or channel 4.

- Craig

#10 ·
For the second TV, do you control the HR20 by setting the remote to RF? If so, has anyone done this successfully? I'm not sure how far my second TV will be from the HR20, but if it's 20-30 feet away, will I have to go into the other room to change the channel on the HR20?

#11 ·
juztfurfun said:
Here is a solution that I use when I do custom installs. This is not an HDMI solution but it is a great one for COMPONENT with both analog and DIGITAL audio.

CableLabs

I have installed 3 of the 501 Distribution Amps and they work really good. 2 of them have been powered for over 2 years with no failure yet. The pricing on them is very very good compared to HDMI.

#12 ·
DrZaiusATL said:
Here is a solution that I use when I do custom installs. This is not an HDMI solution but it is a great one for COMPONENT with both analog and DIGITAL audio.

CableLabs

I have installed 3 of the 501 Distribution Amps and they work really good. 2 of them have been powered for over 2 years with no failure yet. The pricing on them is very very good compared to HDMI.
I thought the HR20's only digital audio connection was optical. If it is, then I don't see how the 501 would be able to transmit digital audio. Please correct me if I'm wrong; I would prefer to be wrong in this case.

Edit: I've learned that the HR20-100 has the coaxial digital out while the HR20-700 does not.

#13 ·
Converters for Optical to Coaxial are really cheap. You can pick them up for as little as $10.00.

You would have to convert from optical to electrical to use the 501. But the 501 does such a great job the minimal cost is worth every penny. I personally use the 501 for my HR20-700 so that I can get TV in both my Deck and Garage. Now I also have the RF adapter for my Philips Pronto so I just take my remote with me and I have total control over my entire system.

#14 ·
Another trick once you have your distribution set up is buying multiple DirecTV remotes off ebay. Then turn on the RF function for the RX and then repeat the steps for the remaining remotes. I have done this for customers with up to 5 remotes. That way they have a remote for each location they have distributed to. Works extremely well.

#15 ·
Hello: Thanks in advance for any and all help. I know ZERO about this stuff, so my questions may already have been answered and I just don't understand it. I had Directv installed today. The installer hooked up one TV with an HR20 (in our family room). I know it's possible to connect the signal to the TV in our master bedroom. Our house is brand new and has a fancy cable box in our closet. The installer connected the outside line from the dish to the wire into the box in the closet. In that box he connected the main line DIRECTLY (bypassing the splitter)to the connector for our family room. Additionally in that box is a 6 way splitter, keeping that in mind; Can I connect the main line from the dish to the "in" and just plug in the "outs" from the other rooms and split the signal throughout the house? I hope this makes sense, as again I have no idea what I am doing. Thanks again for your help!!

#17 ·
I currently have (3) HR 20's. (2) of which are 700's, and (1) is a 100. In the Home Theater room I have one of each connected, with and HD OTA on the 700. So I have 6 coaxial drops in this room, including basic cable. I paid to have them wall plated and you can't see anything with the furniture I have in place.

I have 6 tuners, but I have no idea what switch I have in place. I know all receivers have BBC's.

I am looking to receive the DTV HD feed in my Home Office, since I work form home and spend a lot of time there. With all these HD channel additions, I have been spending more and more time in the HT room. :D

Would it be better to do an HDMI/component cable drop from the Home Theater room to the office (50 feet), or just add another HR20? I am looking at this logistically, as well as financially.

Also, if it is better to get another HR20, should I wait for SWM? Or since I already have the cable drops done in the other rooms, does it really make a difference?

I appreciate any advice . . .

#18 ·
Almost certainly you have a WB68, with two open outputs.

Do you currently have any coax wiring to your home office? If so, you can either put an H20 or H21 (non DVR) in there right now, or you could put an HR20 in and only use one tuner.

If you have no wiring to your home office, then you have to decide if you would rather wire coax to it from the multiswitch, or wire component or hdmi from the home theater. Probably cheaper to do coax but I don't know that for sure.

The other factor to consider is whether anyone else might be using one of the home theater units at the same time you want access from your office.

Carl

#19 ·
carl6 said:
Almost certainly you have a WB68, with two open outputs.

Do you currently have any coax wiring to your home office? If so, you can either put an H20 or H21 (non DVR) in there right now, or you could put an HR20 in and only use one tuner.

If you have no wiring to your home office, then you have to decide if you would rather wire coax to it from the multiswitch, or wire component or hdmi from the home theater. Probably cheaper to do coax but I don't know that for sure.

The other factor to consider is whether anyone else might be using one of the home theater units at the same time you want access from your office.

Carl
I have coax in there now for basic cable. I don't really watch cable, but as it was included in my HOA fees, I just left it there. Oops, i just remembered that i do use this line for my cable modem. There are 2 HR20's in the HT room, so there would be no conflict, unless it was to see a recording on one box vs. the other.

I like the idea of being able to use the HT HR20, but the downside would be yet another drop and wall plate there. I guess I could do a 50 foot HDMI run from there. I am just not sure if price would be the same as a new box in the other room with install, cable, etc. As would quality be good with such a long drop.

I guess the HD and DVR's have spoiled me. I have an old Sony 34 inch, Wega XBR HDTV, there on a tv stand that is going to waste.

If I get an HR20 and drop another coax line I would probably run a little over $300. Then when SWM comes out I could get the dual tuners working.

I guess the only thing I would save with an HDMI drop would be the $4.99 lease and $4.99 mirroring fee. I think the drop and wiring install would be less than $300.

#20 ·
CCarncross said:
In simple terms, No splitters can be used. You need lines either right from the dish, or you create additional lines by using a multiswitch a Zinwell WB68 for up to 8 tuners, or a WB616 for up to 16 tuners.
Thanks for the help. (I had hoped the easy splitter option would be available but feard it would not). I looked at the schematic (SP?) of "how to connect multiple tvs to an HR20" and the one thing I'm grapling with is how on earth I'll run a cable from my receiver (downstairs family room) to my master bedroom (upstairs opposite end of house). Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again!

P.S. I did disconnect the two directly connected lines (main cable from sat and family room cable) and ran them through the splitter and the signal still came out on the tv fine...oddly enough (and for reasons beyond my understanding) the screensaver would come up on the tv. Why does it turn that on when through a splitter, but not when directly connected?

#21 ·
Depending on this "media closet" you have, if there's a way to put the DirecTV approved multiswitch (listed above) into that box, you should be able to use the current cabling (assuming this new house was cabled) out of that media closet to the receivers you desire (up to the limit of whether you want DVRs [2 lines required] or not [1 line is fine]. Stay away from any splitters as mentioned, but if you can get the WB68 into that media closet, you can run to receivers from there. This is likely a better option for you (adding another receiver to the bedroom) rather than having to run cables from only one receiver (your HR-20) to a TV in another room. Hope this helps.

The Forth Wife said:
Thanks for the help. (I had hoped the easy splitter option would be available but feard it would not). I looked at the schematic (SP?) of "how to connect multiple tvs to an HR20" and the one thing I'm grapling with is how on earth I'll run a cable from my receiver (downstairs family room) to my master bedroom (upstairs opposite end of house). Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again!

P.S. I did disconnect the two directly connected lines (main cable from sat and family room cable) and ran them through the splitter and the signal still came out on the tv fine...oddly enough (and for reasons beyond my understanding) the screensaver would come up on the tv. Why does it turn that on when through a splitter, but not when directly connected?

#22 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Depending on this "media closet" you have, if there's a way to put the DirecTV approved multiswitch (listed above) into that box, you should be able to use the current cabling (assuming this new house was cabled) out of that media closet to the receivers you desire (up to the limit of whether you want DVRs [2 lines required] or not [1 line is fine]. Stay away from any splitters as mentioned, but if you can get the WB68 into that media closet, you can run to receivers from there. This is likely a better option for you (adding another receiver to the bedroom) rather than having to run cables from only one receiver (your HR-20) to a TV in another room. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your help, I really truly do appreciate it. All bedrooms, the den and family room are cable ready (through the media closet). I only have one receiver (the HR20 in the family room) so I know all tv's connected through the zinwell switch will display the same channel (which is fine for us). How would one go about connecting this? Would I just connect the main line from the satellite dish in the "in" and connect the cable connectors in the "out" areas? I hate to buy a $55 piece of equipment and risk it not working. (That price was through newegg, is there a better place to shop?) Thanks again for all your help. You guys are awesome!!

#23 ·
No problem. Just to be clear though, I was suggesting you add the multiswitch into your closet not as a way to send multiple signals out from your HR-20, but as a way to send multiple lines from your Dish to your Media Closet and out to all of your receivers, which would require you adding another receiver to your Bedroom, and even more receivers to any additional locations. So you would not be using the multi-switch to have "all your TVs connected and displaying the same channel". If you wanted to do that (use only one Receiver), you'd have to run lines out from the HR-20 to the other TVs which would be a pain to do for very little benefit.

Also - depending upon your install and how it was done: If you use the Multiswitch, you want to make sure there are 4 lines running from the Dish to that switch in the closet.

BTW - If you add any receivers and want to take advantage of the switch in the closet, this is something you would do through D* and likely would not have to pay for either the installation or any of the equipment (including the WB68).

The Forth Wife said:
Thank you for your help, I really truly do appreciate it. All bedrooms, the den and family room are cable ready (through the media closet). I only have one receiver (the HR20 in the family room) so I know all tv's connected through the zinwell switch will display the same channel (which is fine for us). How would one go about connecting this? Would I just connect the main line from the satellite dish in the "in" and connect the cable connectors in the "out" areas? I hate to buy a $55 piece of equipment and risk it not working. (That price was through newegg, is there a better place to shop?) Thanks again for all your help. You guys are awesome!!

#24 ·
The Forth Wife said:
what you need is a second line going from the back of the hr-20 to that closet with the splitter. No need for a switch. You will need a rf modulator to convert the AV outs to RF in back of the hr-20 or if you have a vcr it will do the same thing by using av cords to it and then out from rf and leave vcr on al the time. second line out will go into the splitter and feed all other sets with the same channel. that zinwell switch is for more then one receiver and not needed for what you want and i think you have a regular splitter in the closet not a switch.

Mike

#25 ·
This was the original question, but in my opinion it's not the way to go. This is taking a step backwards and also adding in a bunch more antiquated equipment and delivery method.
Again - just my opinion but this is not the best long-term solution.

rotomike said:
what you need is a second line going from the back of the hr-20 to that closet with the splitter. No need for a switch. You will need a rf modulator to convert the AV outs to RF in back of the hr-20 or if you have a vcr it will do the same thing by using av cords to it and then out from rf and leave vcr on al the time. second line out will go into the splitter and feed all other sets with the same channel. that zinwell switch is for more then one receiver and not needed for what you want and i think you have a regular splitter in the closet not a switch.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.