DBSTalk Forum banner

Connecting to DoD using a laptop aircard

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  vansmack 
#1 ·
I am going to get DIRECTV very soon and want to be able to access the On Demand feature. The only internet access I have in my apartment is a wireless card for my laptop. Can I use my existing aircard internet connection on my laptop and just plug in an ethernet cord from my laptop to the DIRECTV HD-DVR so the receiver has access to DIRECTV On Demand?

J

#3 ·
You may be able to turn on Internet Connection Sharing on your laptop. You'll want to make sure that your Internet connection is not charged based on usage and that there are no periodic limits as you may be without Internet for a while if you get carried away.

#8 ·
Most of the wireless carriers have clauses in their TOS saying that they are not to be used as a substitute for a DSL, T1, or normal hardwired connection. You stand a good chance of getting shut off if they see you downloading gigabytes of data.

#9 ·
dervari said:
Most of the wireless carriers have clauses in their TOS saying that they are not to be used as a substitute for a DSL, T1, or normal hardwired connection. You stand a good chance of getting shut off if they see you downloading gigabytes of data.
All of them have 5 GB caps a month.

Hardly enough to be downloading anything off DOD which is why I unhooked my HR20 off my network.

#10 ·
Marvin said:
All of them have 5 GB caps a month.

Hardly enough to be downloading anything off DOD which is why I unhooked my HR20 off my network.
You may also want to put limitations on Hard Drive space when using Tversity. I use Verizon's Wireless's Broadband internet as my primary connectionl I checked my account online and discovered I used 8 gigs of data which obviously put me over the 5 gb cap. Come to find out, Tversity was downloading Podcasts from G4tv and National Geographic.

Luckily my bill for the month was the normal amount but I panicked for a couple of days.

I set the download cap within tversity to 600 megs.

#11 ·
I was grandfathered in with Sprint (unlimited data) and use a Cradlepoint CTR-350 router to hardwire the HR-20 to the EVDO Modem for media share and DoD.

I've had this set up for 4 months now and Sprint has not contacted me about any over use. Maybe I've been lucky, maybe not, but it's been an extremely reliable setup.

I used Internet Connection Sharing for a while but the results were poor.

#12 ·
vansmack said:
I was grandfathered in with Sprint (unlimited data) and use a Cradlepoint CTR-350 router to hardwire the HR-20 to the EVDO Modem for media share and DoD.

I've had this set up for 4 months now and Sprint has not contacted me about any over use. Maybe I've been lucky, maybe not, but it's been an extremely reliable setup.

I used Internet Connection Sharing for a while but the results were poor.
Interesting device. I may need to look into this router for I'm using Internet Connection sharing myself.

#13 ·
groove93 said:
Interesting device. I may need to look into this router for I'm using Internet Connection sharing myself.
There's a new model out too (CTR-500) so you may be able to find the 350 at a lower price. I purchased mine from Ebay for around $100. Couldn't be happier with both the wireless performance and the security - the portablility is just an added bonus. The single LAN/WAN port does require the additional purchase fo a switch if you want to hardwire more than one device, but you can always go wireless instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.