1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, my current setup:

Slimline AU9 dish
1 SAT cable to Room #1 with H20 and 16:9 LCD
1 SAT cable to Room #2 with Sony SAT-T60 DTivo and 16:9 LCD connected to DD system.

Also have antenna mounted in Attic for local HD channels with direct connection to Room #1 and sharing SAT cable via diplexer to Room #2

Additional cable runs are NOT an option for me for various reason too long to type here.

I REALLY want HD DVR but after reading many comments in here about the HR20 I want to keep my old SAT-T60 as a back up (I own it) even though it's not HD.

Now the questions:

1. Will the HR20 work without complaint if I never have a second cable for Tuner 2?

2. Will the HR20 allow me to watch a recorded program while recording another with only 1 tuner connected? The review I read made it seem like both tuners had to be connected to do this. I'm not concerned about recording 2 shows at once.

3. I've been with DirecTV since 1996 (just retired my old SAT-B1 two weeks ago) and I understand the move to the whole leasing idea compared to the good old days when I just went out and bought whatever hardware I wanted. Is there any benefit, price or otherwise, to me buying an HR20 from a retailer vs. calling up DTV?

4. I really don't want to have to fool with a DTV tech coming to my house to hook up an HR20 when I can do it myself, if I get it through DTV is this my only option or will they just ship it to me so I can do it myself?

5. What is this "customer retention" dept. I've read about at DTV? Is that a different phone number or just a special group for long timers like myself? I haven't called DTV in about 5 or 6 yrs.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, if so please move it. I've been a lurker and not a poster until now.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
1) It should work with just a single SAT input.
2) Yes
3) No, there is no real benefit from buying from a vendor
4) From DirecTV... installer, from a Vendor... they will ship it to you

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Road Rage said:
1. Will the HR20 work without complaint if I never have a second cable for Tuner 2?
I think it will work fine. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more knowledge on this than I.

Road Rage said:
2. Will the HR20 allow me to watch a recorded program while recording another with only 1 tuner connected? The review I read made it seem like both tuners had to be connected to do this. I'm not concerned about recording 2 shows at once.
Yes, this should work assuming the HR20 isn't going to act weird with only 1 tuner getting a signal.

Road Rage said:
3. I've been with DirecTV since 1996 (just retired my old SAT-B1 two weeks ago) and I understand the move to the whole leasing idea compared to the good old days when I just went out and bought whatever hardware I wanted. Is there any benefit, price or otherwise, to me buying an HR20 from a retailer vs. calling up DTV?
Nope, you'll be leasing either way. Being a customer for so long you may be able to get a discount when ordering directly from D* over the phone; I'd try that option first.

Road Rage said:
4. I really don't want to have to fool with a DTV tech coming to my house to hook up an HR20 when I can do it myself, if I get it through DTV is this my only option or will they just ship it to me so I can do it myself?
I think if you already have the dish installed they may just ship you the receiver, but I'm not 100% certain.

Edit: As usual Earl has nothing to do at work and beats me to the punch ;)

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just read that OTA can't be diplex'd with MPEG-4. Since I can't run anymore than a single cable to each room this is a major pain for me that was unexpected.

By the way, my slimline dish has 3 cables coming from it, 2 are run to my 2 receivers. The third is just rolled up and disconnected. Is this for a third receiver or something special that I just happen to not be using?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
There are 4 outputs on the Slimline dish...

Each run can be used to supply the signal to a single tuner.
So you can have up to 4 with out a multiswitch.

But you will need all 4 with a multiswitch.

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could swear there are only 3 coming out of the LNB arm that I could see, I'll take a closer look tomorrow with daylight.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Road Rage said:
I could swear there are only 3 coming out of the LNB arm that I could see, I'll take a closer look tomorrow with daylight.
There probably is only 3.... you probably had an installer that decided not to run the 4th line for what ever reason... (I wish it would at least be standard that run all 4 at least to the grounding block).

You should do a search on FTM, so you can see some of the technology that should be comming in early 2007.

That will allow you to run a single line, but still get dual tuner support.
Not sure yet if the FTM is going to allow OTA to be diplexed in yet or not...

But depending on what kind of area you are in, and what frequency your networks are on... you may get away with a "set-top" antenna for your ota

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
There probably is only 3.... you probably had an installer that decided not to run the 4th line for what ever reason... (I wish it would at least be standard that run all 4 at least to the grounding block).

You should do a search on FTM, so you can see some of the technology that should be comming in early 2007.

That will allow you to run a single line, but still get dual tuner support.
Not sure yet if the FTM is going to allow OTA to be diplexed in yet or not...

But depending on what kind of area you are in, and what frequency your networks are on... you may get away with a "set-top" antenna for your ota
dont google FTM get alot of weird stuff whats FTM stand for????

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since my house is brick and there's already 2 holes drilled in different locations to get a single cable to the 2 rooms with DBS there's no place to run any more cables without more drilling and I'm not going to allow that to happen, and it would require burying more cable. As for OTA I'm 30+ miles from the stations so I have a medium range mounted in the attic which works very well, set top not an option here. The design of my house makes it impossible to run additional cables to my living room through the walls. Really hoping for some technology that will allow everything over a single cable as you can see.

What is FTM? (newbie here if you haven't noticed) **** Nevermind, the old search function comes through again :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.