DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cool Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO Santa brought is a nice 65" display for Xmas (yay Santa!). NOW I have to really get my butt in gear and finish the new "Home Theater" space!

I have been considering a HR34 since the community has started talking about it.

Here is my question for someone that is hopefully in the same boat - (I have search a bit and just have not found the info I am looking for)

I have several OTA station in my area that do not show up on the local Sat package, that I would like to still receive.

I am currently setup with MVR with the following receivers -

• DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR
  • DirecTV HR20-100 HD DVR
  • DirecTV HR23-600

Are these receivers compatible with the HR34?

The HR34 does not have an OTA tuner ... is there a solution for this (that's not an additional input source)?

OR

Do I try to stay with the line of receivers I have and just have the HR34 as a "server type" unit off in the corner of the structured media closet.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks in advance for all your comments-

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
It works fine with the DVRs you have. For OTA, you'd need an AM21. Question is, is your MRV supported (DECA boxes) or Ethernet? If Ethernet, do you have SWM (one coax cable going to one tuner, or two)?

The HR34requires SWM, and even if you have it, you likely max out at 8 tuners. You'd need to probably swap out our SWM-LNB and get a SWM16.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
The same am21 that works to give OTA to other receivers works great with hr34.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you keep more than one of your existing receivers alongside the HR34 you'll have more than 8 tuners and so you'll have to switch your dish back to a non-SWM ODU (pickup) and use a SWM-16. Then you have two output lines from the SWM-16 (it's essentially two SWM-8s in parallel except it also merges DeCA for the two), then you need no more than 8 tuners on either leg.

You'll need an AM21/AM21N to get OTA reception. I am using one right now with my HR34, it works well. Note that diplexed OTA isn't really supported anymore, because it conflicts with DeCA, frequency-wise. So I switched to non-diplexed OTA.

You will need at least one band block filter (thanks to Stuart for the info). The HR20's will not tolerate DeCA slamming into them through the SAT port from the HR34. The right thing to do would be to put band block filters on the SAT/SWM input of each of the HR20s and the HR23. The easier/cheaper thing to do would be to just put a band block filter on the HR34 input, that will filter any DeCA going out, so it doesn't bother any of the other devices. The reason this isn't the "right" thing to do is because if you want to use DeCA later between two of your receivers, you'd need to order some new band block filters and revert to the "right" setup with the appropriate band block filters removed (on new receivers).

Another alternative version of the "wrong" way to do it that would work would actually be to diplex OTA onto the line to the HR34. The diplexers will block the outing DeCA signals from the HR34 so they don't reach the other devices. This is probably the cheapest of all, assuming you're currently using diplexed OTA. However, keeping OTA working on both legs of the SWM-16 output with diplexing will be a moderate pain. I'm sure you hook it up exactly like you might think you would, I'm just not sure it won't have any side effects.

·
Cool Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
INFRASTRUCTURE! Thanks for pointing that all out -

I think I am set in regards to that - I have the following "stuff"

SWM16 - and 2 of the 8 way swm8's - DECA's

How does the AM21 hookup? (I'm not clear on that)

I think I need a diagram to grasp the concept here (and/or a little more time to work through the New Years hangover).

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
AM21 is pretty simple. It connects via USB to the DVR, power from the wall just goes to the am21, then there's a cable that goes from the AM21 to power the DVR. Then your antenna to the AM21.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
If your HR20s are getting the local stations, the HR34 with an AM21 should also.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
Any device that isn't DECA enabled needs a bandstop filter in front of it when used in an active DECA network. The possible penalty is a fried tuner.

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
harsh said:
Any device that isn't DECA enabled needs a bandstop filter in front of it when used in an active DECA network. The possible penalty is a fried tuner.
Or just an external DECA to make it "DECA ENABLED." :) I had 2 HR20-100's (now gone), 2 HR24's and an HR34 for a long time. I just hung external DECA's on the HR20's and they all lived happily DECA'd together with the rest of the DECA family. Had no BS Filter (although one would sometimes be nice on this forum! :lol:).

·
1*
10,289 Posts
"flipptyfloppity" said:
If you keep more than one of your existing receivers alongside the HR34 you'll have more than 8 tuners and so you'll have to switch your dish back to a non-SWM ODU (pickup) and use a SWM-16. Then you have two output lines from the SWM-16 (it's essentially two SWM-8s in parallel except it also merges DeCA for the two), then you need no more than 8 tuners on either leg.

You'll need an AM21/AM21N to get OTA reception. I am using one right now with my HR34, it works well. Note that diplexed OTA isn't really supported anymore, because it conflicts with DeCA, frequency-wise. So I switched to non-diplexed OTA.

You will need at least one band block filter (thanks to Stuart for the info). The HR20's will not tolerate DeCA slamming into them through the SAT port from the HR34. The right thing to do would be to put band block filters on the SAT/SWM input of each of the HR20s and the HR23. The easier/cheaper thing to do would be to just put a band block filter on the HR34 input, that will filter any DeCA going out, so it doesn't bother any of the other devices. The reason this isn't the "right" thing to do is because if you want to use DeCA later between two of your receivers, you'd need to order some new band block filters and revert to the "right" setup with the appropriate band block filters removed (on new receivers).

Another alternative version of the "wrong" way to do it that would work would actually be to diplex OTA onto the line to the HR34. The diplexers will block the outing DeCA signals from the HR34 so they don't reach the other devices. This is probably the cheapest of all, assuming you're currently using diplexed OTA. However, keeping OTA working on both legs of the SWM-16 output with diplexing will be a moderate pain. I'm sure you hook it up exactly like you might think you would, I'm just not sure it won't have any side effects.
First, they are BSFs (Band Stop Filters) not band block filters. Second, it is generally easier to tell people how to set things up correctly as opposed to the ways to not do it.

With regard to BSFs, in a SWM system with MRV enabled using DECA, the only time BSFs should be used is for the one circumstance with the HR20 and when you have a SWM-LNB that is not a green label.

- Merg

·
Always Searching
1,938 Posts
The Merg said:
...the only time BSFs should be used is for the one circumstance with the HR20 and when you have a SWM-LNB that is not a green label...
BSF's are also necessary for the new Tivo, D12's, older SWM8's, MDU's, and in custom situations.

·
Cool Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trh said:
Graphic from the manual. Easy hookup. Your DirecTV remote turns both your STB and AM21 on & off together.
Thanks trh ... that is exactly what I wanted to see. So the AM21 takes commands from the sat receiver via the USB cable? AND is runs it signal through the USB as well? (I have not been able to find a manual online)

In regards to the HR20 ... the MRV is already up and running in my household (I apologize if that wasn't clear).

My main question in the op was about maintaining OTA and if my existing boxes will play along well and a solution for OTA w/ the HR 34.

... anyone good at mud and taping?

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
The manual is available at DirecTV's site. Yes, all signals/data thru the USB cable. Local channels show up in your Guide on the box it is connected to. I have one on my HR24; no impact on my five other boxes.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
There is virtually nothing to it, you shut down your DVR or receiver, connect up the antenna feed, connect the usb cable to your dvr/stb and power..boot up and configure. It takes literally 15 minutes to hook up and configure, no manual necessary at all, a monkey could do it.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
CCarncross said:
There is virtually nothing to it, you shut down your DVR or receiver, connect up the antenna feed, connect the usb cable to your dvr/stb and power..boot up and configure. It takes literally 15 minutes to hook up and configure, no manual necessary at all, a monkey could do it.
Good thing you did not say Caveman.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The Merg said:
First, they are BSFs (Band Stop Filters) not band block filters. Second, it is generally easier to tell people how to set things up correctly as opposed to the ways to not do it.
Well, I run a little differently. Both ways will work, so I give people the choice. I'm not DirecTV here, I don't have to mandate only a single way to do it when other ways may be as effective and more appropriate for some people. For example, I used diplxed OTA for until two weeks ago.

So, several ways are "correct", one is DirecTV's preferred way and others isn't.

With regard to BSFs, in a SWM system with MRV enabled using DECA, the only time BSFs should be used is for the one circumstance with the HR20 and when you have a SWM-LNB that is not a green label.
I didn't know that. How does a green label SWM ODU fix the issue of the HR20 reacting poorly to the high power MRV signal being input?

·
1*
10,289 Posts
flipptyfloppity said:
I didn't know that. How does a green label SWM ODU fix the issue of the HR20 reacting poorly to the high power MRV signal being input?
I should clarify what I said... There are really two instances the BSF's are used. One is for the specific situation regarding the HR20-100 when it is connected on a MRV network in one particular fashion. The other is when the SWM-LNB is not a green label.

Basically, unless you are trying to segregate MRV between particular receivers, there is no reason to waste money and time installing BSF's except for the reasons posted above.

- Merg

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
The Merg said:
There are really two instances the BSF's are used. One is for the specific situation regarding the HR20-100 when it is connected on a MRV network in one particular fashion. The other is when the SWM-LNB is not a green label.
I believe that the OP presents a third instance.

Whether it is in accordance with DIRECTV's "recommended" configurations or not, it is a valid use of the bandwidth.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.