DBSTalk Forum banner
321 - 322 of 322 Posts

·
Icon
2,051 Posts
So I'm someone who has been a long time Sat person, and switched to D Stream and then back. There are a few reasons I switched back, mostly around family stuff.

No CW locally in NY Metro - sure, you could watch On Demand (and be forced to watch ads), but my son watches pretty much every superhero show on the CW so this was a NEED for us. When we first signed up for stream, we were able to compensate for that using a combination of the now defunct Locast and Channels DVR. Sure it cost me an extra few bucks a month but it worked. But with Locast's demise it became a huge problem. We tried some indoor antennas and HD HomeRun and an outdoor antenna in my attic, but it wasn't consistent enough to keep it. At the time there was also no PBS, which I believe there is now.

A couple of other reasons I switched back. No NFL Network, no EC/WC versions of channels (I like watching some of the channels on West Coast time, especially if I miss something I wanted to watch.) The idea that ALL my channels are in one place. And lastly, no way to pad shows and sporting events. Auto pad worked about half the time, not good enough for me. There's nothing worse than watching a game, getting towards the end, and the game cuts off. IF they fix these issues, I would absolutely go back.

Here's what I liked about Stream. PQ was as good if not better than DirecTV. The Osprey box was very responsive and still used channel number (I rarely used the apps as I have much better solutions for streaming that support things like Dolby Atmos). The DVR, with the exception of the lack of padding and the auto delete after a certain time, was exceptional to me, especially the trick play I used (shorter skip and rewind times work great and are more precise). And lastly it wasn't SO much cheaper that paying the few extra $$ for the complete experience of Sat was not worth it.

321 - 322 of 322 Posts