DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW - This is the earliest time yet for the start of free registration!

The 2013 Consumer Electronics Show will be held (again) in Las Vegas, NV at the LV Convention on January 8 -11, 2013.

The reasons I am sharing this information now is:

1) The free registration period is starting nearly a month sooner than any time before for CES.

2) Last year saw over 154,000 attendees at CES, with about 17 DBSTalkers onsite.

3) Last year there were a number of folks who were unable to get travel arrangements because they learned about CES too late.

4) Planning ahead for air and hotel travel arrangements starting as early as August is a good idea to assure availability and lower prices.

Notes: CES is not open to the public - some form of Consumer Electronics industry affiliation (and proof of Identification) is required onsite to obtain a badge/entry. A Business card and photo ID are sufficient in many cases.

The past 4 years, there has been an onsite DBSTalk member "meet and greet" dinner gathering for CES, and it is reasonable to assume they'll be one in January.

 

Attachments

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
Wow, indeed!

Already started on hotel rez. Unlike last year! ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

Youth is hot and bold, age is weak and cold; Youth is wild, and age is tame."
-- William Shakespeare
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laxguy said:
Wow, indeed!

Already started on hotel rez. Unlike last year! ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

Youth is hot and bold, age is weak and cold; Youth is wild, and age is tame."
-- William Shakespeare
You are most welcome sir.

Obviously there is some time remaining to make plans (through July and likely through August)...but with the free registration coming this soon...I'm guessing that CES anticipates attendance to be more than last year. That will reduce hotel rooms and air options as we all know.
 

· Under Suspicion
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
I'd better subscribe to remind me, so I can at least save the $100 reg fee :) And this year I'm bringing even bigger credentials, as an employee of Ingram Micro :D Might show up under "vendor" or similar this time...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dirtyblueshirt said:
I'd better subscribe to remind me, so I can at least save the $100 reg fee :) And this year I'm bringing even bigger credentials, as an employee of Ingram Micro :D Might show up under "vendor" or similar this time...
That's great news!

It will be great to see you there again. :)
 

· The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
Sort of bummed, I thought you were saying it was open now.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Sort of bummed, I thought you were saying it was open now.
Not quite...but last year it was opened the first week of August...so this is really early. Figured a heads up was handy.
 

· Under Suspicion
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
Richierich said:
Can't wait to sign up and get my Room Reservations at the Marriott 2 Blocks down the road from CES 2013!!! :D
Yes... I have a salary where I can actually afford to stay that close now! :D
 

· Under Suspicion
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Quite a change for one year. Love your Avatar by the way...
1: Yes, it's nice to be paid what I'm worth for my work :) (edit: notsomuch the 9.3% state income tax I now pay though!)

2: Thanks! It was simple, I used the Paper Camera app on the Android and took a snap of the power light on my HR24 :)
 

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
dirtyblueshirt said:
1: Yes, it's nice to be paid what I'm worth for my work :) (edit: notsomuch the 9.3% state income tax I now pay though!)

2: Thanks! It was simple, I used the Paper Camera app on the Android and took a snap of the power light on my HR24 :)
Sweet!

Looks like both Apple and Android borrowed that preset from Adobe!
 

· Under Suspicion
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
domingos35 said:
is this open to the general public?
Unfortunately you must have some sort of tech industry affiliation (via business card usually) to get attendance. Last CES I went under the Government umbrella with my tour in the Navy's Cyber Defense group, and this CES I'll be going as an employee with my new company.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dirtyblueshirt said:
Unfortunately you must have some sort of tech industry affiliation (via business card usually) to get attendance. Last CES I went under the Government umbrella with my tour in the Navy's Cyber Defense group, and this CES I'll be going as an employee with my new company.
Correct.

It is not intended as a public event, rather, as an industry tradeshow.

July 9th is rapidly approaching for the free registration period.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those folks interest - it looks like the website is active already today...

[I just completed the FREE early CES 2013 registration]

In the months ahead...there should be additional information for those attending - last year about 15 DBSTalkers enjoyed the Conference, and the annual traditional DBSTalker dinner was held.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
dirtyblueshirt said:
Unfortunately you must have some sort of tech industry affiliation (via business card usually) to get attendance. Last CES I went under the Government umbrella with my tour in the Navy's Cyber Defense group, and this CES I'll be going as an employee with my new company.
Worst mistake I have made was passing up the chance to go in the early 90's. I was invited by a Pioneer rep I worked with. For that very reason (no affiliation) I knew I'd never get another opportunity. Sure enough I never have.
 
1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top