DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to thank Earl for giving me permission to start this thread.

I just converted all of UTV boxes to R15's and I am looking to get rid of the UTV boxes.

If anyone is interested I have 3 UTV boxes that I will let go either as a group or individually. 2 of them have the original RCA remote and 1 has the white DTV remote.

If your interested send me a private message and we can discuss the logistics. I am thinking 100 for all 3 plus whatever it costs to ship them to you.

Update: Both tuners work in all 3 units.

Update: All 3 units are sold.

·
Mentor
41 Posts
chiefgeek said:
First I would like to thank Earl for giving me permission to start this thread.

I just converted all of UTV boxes to R15's and I am looking to get rid of the UTV boxes.

If anyone is interested I have 3 UTV boxes that I will let go either as a group or individually. 2 of them have the original RCA remote and 1 has the white DTV remote.

If your interested send me a private message and we can discuss the logistics. I am thinking 100 for all 3 plus whatever it costs to ship them to you.

Update: Both tuners work in all 3 units.

Update: All 3 units are sold.
I received the units today, and they all work as promised. You are a man of your word. Thank you.

I'm not sure why, but I found it funny as hell that you shipped them in R15 boxes. :lol:

·
Legend
130 Posts
Question?

Why replace working UTV units with R15’s the HR20’s I can understand but the UTV unit’s were far superior to the R15.

·
Legend
109 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I did the same thing, finally took the UTV out of service and replaced it with an R15. The main reason was that I was able to get another R15 for free, and the TV that it goes on is not being used as much (mainly for kids). I was also tired of paying the $10 fee since we were no longer really using it the UTV, but still wanted a DVR on that TV.

For now I have just put the UTV on the shelf. It too still worked without any issues.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
anopro said:
Why replace working UTV units with R15's the HR20's I can understand but the UTV unit's were far superior to the R15.
I bought a UTV in the late summer of 2001. It was expensive ($300 plus the cost of a multi switch). But I loved it. Duel tuners. Set up was a breeze. Worked flawlessly. The UTV was a 100% improvement over the stand alone Tivo I tried using a few years earlier.

Then in January of '02 I was thinking of buying a second UTV for the living room. But Circuit City had an open box sale on a Philips DirecTV DVR with Tivo for $58. At that price I couldn't pass it up.

I brought it home. Set up was a little more involved than the UTV. Had to wait 24 hours for a software update so both tuners could be used. But in the end it worked just as well. Eventually, I came to like the Direct Tivo more than the UTV. It's been almost five years. So I'm not sure why that was. Possibly because the Direct Tivo allowed me to start a recording up to 10 minutes early. A feature I don't believe was available on the UTV.

For Fathers Day '03, my wife bought me a $99 Samsung DirecTV DVR with Tivo to replace the UTV. This one worked right out of the box. No having to wait for a software update. Plus we were saving $12 a month on the UTV fee.

A few months ago, my trusty Philips died. So *D replaced it with an R-15 free of charge. Then my daughter wanted a DVR for for her room. *D said we were eligible for a free upgrade. So we got a second R-15 for free. At first I hated the things. But after using them for a while, I've really come to like them. (Although there is no way I'll get rid of the Samsung until I have to.)

So I guess the best way I can answer your question is to say that the UTV's were awesome units that just worked. While the R-15's may have some issues, they have more features and a larger hard disk than any previous DirecTV DVR. Be it a Tivo based unit. Or a UTV. Besides you can have an unlimited number of R-15's in your house for only $5.99 a month. But you'll pay $12 a month for each UTV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.