DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Godfather
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a Slimline-3 Dish with a non-SWM LNB. I am thinking about possibly getting an HR34 and/or adding another reciever, so I want to know what I will need to convert my legacy setup to a SWM setup.

Would someone mind detailing the equipment that I'd need to buy in order to do this? Am I correct in thinking that all I need is a SWM LNB, power inserter, and splitters? Right now I have MRV set up with Ethernet run to each reciever. Do I need DirecTV's bridge device to allow SWM devices to connect to the internet over the coax, or will one reciever being connected via Ethernet be able to bridge that internet connection to all other SWM devices?

Thanks guys (and yes, I would rather do this myself than have DirecTV out to do it.)

11,606 Posts
Will know better once knowing which receivers ...

You'll have three choices for SWiM: a new SWiM LNB (8 tuner max), a SWiM-8 with your existing LNB (8 tuner max), or a SWiM-16 with your existing LNB (16 tuners and expandable). It all depends on how many tuners you need both now and in the future.

Personally, I always lean towards an outboard SWiM because it allows more flexibility but it depends on how big or complex your setup is.

You could use the HR34 to bridge to the internet, but I'd always lean towards using a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) and remove the dependence on a receiver to be the internet gateway.

Can post more after knowing your setup with specific receiver model numbers.

· Godfather
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two HR24s, H24, and H23. Would the HR24 be able to bridge my internet connection as well, or does only the HR34 have that capability?

I would probably be replacing one HR24 with an HR34, and adding one H24, but don't plan on ever needing more tuners than that.

11,606 Posts
charlie460 said:
Two HR24s, H24, and H23. Would the HR24 be able to bridge my internet connection as well, or does only the HR34 have that capability?

I would probably be replacing one HR24 with an HR34, and adding one H24, but don't plan on ever needing more tuners than that.
Your current setup has 6 tuners.

If you swap an HR34 for one of the HR24's then you'll have 9 tuners.

And if you add an H24 that's 10 tuners.

Thus you'll need a SWiM-16, which is a great unit.

Take the 4 cables from the LNB and attach to a new SWiM-16. Each side of the SWiM-16 support 8 tuners. There's two SWiM-16 output ports (SWM1/PWR & SWM2). I personally like to power the SWiM-16 via the third port (DC/PWR).

On SWiM-16 port-1 (SWM1/PWR), use a 4-way "green" splitter, and attach the HR34, H24, the new H24, and a new Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). Plug an Ethernet cable into the CCK.

On SWiM-16 port-2 (SWM2), use a 2 way "green" splitter and attach the HR24, and the H23 with a new DECA adapter.

There's actually a few ways to set this up, with the primary idea being to not exceed 8 tuners on each side of the SWiM-16.

I'd also lean towards the CCK rather then trying to use the HR34 as the internet gateway. I was like you and had all Ethernet for MRV but I decided to go with DECA and I've not noticed any issue, everything works great.

· Icon
1,083 Posts
I wish I had gone with a SWiM-16 when they changed my system over. I had the original 4 wires coming from the dish and they changed it to the SWiM LNB. At the time that was cool because I had 4 tvs and the max I would have had was 8 tuners. Less than 6 months after that the HR34 came out.

I really want an HR34....

· Godfather
671 Posts
You said you have MRV, so I'm assuming it's unsupported(using your current LAN to connect the receivers instead of D* equipment)?

· Hall Of Fame
1,348 Posts
What is the downside to using the HR34 as the internet gateway?

I'm thinking seriously about putting a SWM16 into my system to replace the WB68 I currently have. I have a nice deep fringe antenna and by going SWM I can feed both tuners on my HR20 and my R22 with a single wire to each unit and use the existing second wire to each box for OTA (planning on adding an AM21 to the R22). I'm also thinking very hard about upgrading to an HR34, also with an AM21 and moving the R22 to the master bedroom.

So the reason I am asking about making the HR34 the Internet gateway is that I don't really have an existing coax run that comes anywhere near my router for the DECA. I was considering using the HR34 in the living room with the WET610N I currently have attached to the R22. I'm also considering adding at least one more R22 purchased/leased through SolidSignal.

Anyway the short story is I have plans for every coax that comes anywhere near my router.

11,606 Posts
HarleyD said:
What is the downside to using the HR34 as the internet gateway?...
I'm not 100% sure of what the official stance is right now.

At launch, I thought using the HR34 as the internet gateway was frowned upon, but then thought I saw something after that said it was ok, but not really sure right now.

You also need to be careful to not have two receivers in the DECA cloud both hooked to Ethernet and causing a loop condition, and I'm not sure whether the gateway takes away any processing power from the unit.

It may actually be the design to simplify connectivity, and not require the CCK, not sure. I know it works, I've tried it, I just felt more comfortable offloading the gateway to a box that's on 24x7 and never gets rebooted (the CCK).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.