DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Boston-area subscriber with a standard dish and an HR-15. If I upgrade to an HR-20 and want High Def, I assume I will need to upgrade the physical dish as well as the receiver (to get HD Boston locals as well as other HD programming).

My question is, how much more of a clear shot to the sky does the multi-sat dish need? I am pretty close to a tree off to the right... I probably only have about 10-15 degrees of leeway there (I could not get a DISH Network signal for that reason at all).

Thanks in advance.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
The new five-satellite dish does not look any further to the right, so you should be OK unless the tree grows out!

The 119 satellite is the most-westerly sat for both dishes.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
What type of dish do you have now? The single LNB dish only needs to see one satellite at 101-deg W. The typical 3-LNB dish needs to see three satellites at 101, 110 and 119-deg W. The new 5-LNB dish needs to see those three, plus the new Ka-band satellites at 99 and 103-deg W, very close to the 101-deg satellite. So if you currently have a 3-LNB dish the chances are good that you can upgrade to a 5-LNB dish with no problems.

By the way, DirecTV will provide the 5-LNB dish upgrade at no cost when you upgrade to the HR20 HD DVR.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^
I just have the single LNB, I believe, with just two cables out and directly going into my dual-tuner HR-15.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.