DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
It definitely makes a huge difference. Both my Hoppers are cool to the touch with USB fans attached. I placed the fan on the right side of each unit. Based on what I've seen that appears to be the power supply, and it generates most of the internal heat.

The Sling adapter won't be a problem. I wanted to keep one of the rear USB ports free, so I bought a small USB 2.0 hub for each Hopper, and it works fine.

· Mr. FixAnything
28,031 Posts
RoboDad said:
It definitely makes a huge difference. Both my Hoppers are cool to the touch with USB fans attached. I placed the fan on the right side of each unit. Based on what I've seen that appears to be the power supply, and it generates most of the internal heat.
I wouldn't say that after many hours of measuring temp, working on research what components generate heat and how high they could go with that without hanging, freezing and stuttering.
Your 'solution' is just cooling down DVR's case, not a components what still overheated and would bring the device to freezing, stuttering, etc.

Perhaps I should post a real picture (it was posted here from FCC documents) ...
But I'll try to describe:

- major heat generating by sat tuners/demods' chips, the part locate in a middle, adjusted to PCBA of power supply, it's under silver cover (inside of metal can); main problem with its cooling: chips shielded by the metal can from top/sides and PCB on bottom, plus airflow from a fan doesn't reach the area and can't cool down the can not telling the chips;

- secondary source of the heat is CPU; it has small inefficient cheap heat-sink; seen the fan is not rotating most of the time or rotating at very low speed, the CPU doesn't getting adequate amount of room air to proper cooling;

- third source: a drive; in reality it create much less heat then other components;

- fourth: voltage regulators (I counted 7 or 8 of them) - real 'heaters' locate next to tuner's can.

Power supply board is generating much less heat then other parts; it's build on very efficient (money vise) design: no voltage regulators installed at all; just primary AC-AC converter and a couple diodes with capacitors.

Based on the above, I did a couple modifications to the 'cooling' design:
- replaced stock CPU's heat-sink to four times bigger one with own small fan (12VDC) powering by USB +5VDC rail; it's taking 3-5 mA and totally silent
- rewired main fan to internal +5VDC rail; it's creating constant air flow with acceptable noise, I didn't measure it in dB, but the noise is low at a distance 12' then from outside with open window, it doesn't bothering during night sleep at all;
- raised the DVR level by inserted spacer (~1") under stands, it reduced heating a device/surface under the Hopper.

I didn't solve the particular issue with cooling tuners and voltage regulators near it. Yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.