DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am attempting to upgrade the hard drive inside my HR24 because it seems to be going out soon. It is a 500GB HDD and I currently have a 1TB HDD that I want to upgrade to. The only problem is that I am completely clueless on how to clone/transfer the recordings without issues. Could someone please send an up-to-date detailed description that a newbie could understand? A video would be EVEN MORE APPRECIATED. Thank you very much!

·
Icon
1,269 Posts
Simple answer is the recordings are encoded to that hard drive...non-transferable.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I have decided to step it up a bit. Same receiver model, using 0.3.7-7. While my current hard drive that needs to be copied, (5TB) shows up in GParted just fine, the new hard drive (also 5TB) just shows up as unallocated. I have tried numerous wipes on GParted as well as countless graceful shutdowns to no avail. Any ideas? The new hard drive has also been formatted by the HR24 correctly and both hard drives are the same models and storage capacity (5TB) . Thanks

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
FYI- the max storage capacity on a HR24 is 2TB- that’s it. A Genie gives you much more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I do have two sets of HDDs on the same HR24 because it is owned. Codespy that is the minimum for an external hard drive. The internal cap is something more than 5TB, which is why I was able to use one. The error I get is that special device sda2 does not exist. The current 5TB I have (OLD drive) is listed as SDB2 and SDB3 and it mounts fine but the new 5TB drive (which I have gracefully shut down and formatted with DVR several times) won't cooperate while mounting and throws this error at me. I have also tried superblock command to no avail.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Codespy that is the minimum for an external hard drive. The internal cap is something more than 5TB, which is why I was able to use one.
I'd be very surprised if the internal capacity was different from the external capacity. It seems more likely that the drive was "short stroked" to 2TB when installed internally.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
here on GParted it shows a dump size of 3TB. How do you explain that?
If that's a whole-drive dump, that's perfectly reasonable. Using the size of "dumps" has never been a reliable measure of how much content is actually on a drive (or even a partition).

Tools like Clonezilla look at the allocation maps but I don't recall that GParted makes such assumptions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts