DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Well I know for sure that there were about 100 episodes of Family Feud and some much more (HD), plus over 100 movies. This would not have fit on a 2TB drive.
A 2TB drive should easily hold 400 hours of AVC compressed HD. You're perhaps talking in the neighborhood of 280-350 hours of content.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Well I know for sure that there were about 100 episodes of Family Feud and some much more (HD), plus over 100 movies. This would not have fit on a 2TB drive.
Survey says you’d be surprised how much can fit on a 2TB drive. I have two different 2TB HDD’s that are full, and we fire them up on our 24’s when playing old content on them.

Problem is, the HDD’s are so slow on the 24’s especially when filled up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have 150 episodes of the Twilight Zone in HD (each 30 min), 100 episodes of Family Feud in HD (each 30 min), 250 episodes of Deal or no Deal in HD (each an hour) and about 100 other TV shows with each having over 20 episodes. I also have about 100 movies on the drive (each 2 hours) in HD. So explain how wrong I am about this. I know my drive is a 5TB. It works perfectly fine and truth says it that the internal cap of an HR24 can be over 2TB.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
I never said the words you were wrong. Many of us are just going by experience from the last 10 years. Maybe they changed something with the last couple SW updates on the 24’s- who knows?

Last year they screwed up the Genies where nothing larger than a 6TB drive could be used. That was a major inconvenience for several subs for months until it got fixed with another update.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I know my drive is a 5TB.
Nobody is disputing that your drive is a 5TB mechanism. Until we see the results of P Smith's hint in post #22, we can't know how the drive is actually being used (and perhaps more importantly here, how it isn't being used). Doing arithmetic gets us part way to the truth, but big assumptions must be made about how much space an hour of content consumes.

To implement P Smith's recommendation, the syntax is "fdisk -l" (lower case L - list all storage drives). If your system uses parted instead of fdisk "parted -l" (lower case L)

An easier option in modern Linux that answers the question without all the extra hair is "lsblk" (locase of LSBLK - list all block devices) My Debian 11 install doesn't have fdisk or parted installed by default so I'm guessing that the intent is that lsblk be used going forward (since partitioning from the command line is so 20th century). There are many very handy ls___ commands in modern Linux (especially lsusb).

It is possible that DIRECTV has upped the capacity of the storage drive on the HR24 and that larger drives are now supported. Either way, it bears checking out.

That the internal capacity limit is substantially higher than the external limit would be very difficult to justify (and certainly not your responsibility).

21 - 27 of 27 Posts