DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Godfather
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted some while back, I finally cut the cord. After decades of sat, just not worth it anymore if you have decent internet. We got fiber, I dumped Dish. I have no regrets. It did take a few months of acclimating, finding the right balance of streaming services, etc. But I'm now happy, and paying 1/3 what I was paying. The key is to not sign up for any of the 'live streaming' svcs, those are basically just what you'd get via satellite but over internet, and for almost as much money. Streaming content from the likes of Netflix, Paramount, Disney, etc is all on instantaneous demand, huge libraries. If you need locals and can't receive them (like me, in the boonies), there are free streamers such as Very Local, ABC News Live, etc. that give you current news delayed an hour or two.

One of the huge benefits for me is that during the rerun season, I don't have to pay for sat just to ignore all the repeats. With streaming, just suspend or cancel, turn it back on when you want.

Downside is that there are still a very few sources that only let you stream if you sign up for one of the expensive live streamers. CNN is an example. Well, living in the past. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.

I pay a bit more for no-ad streaming on streamers that provide that, still far cheaper than D with commercials..

Bill

PS - and my fiber is reliable. No twice-yearly sun outage. No ever-increasing blackouts because of contract negotiations, no yet another dead DVR (because all D seems to ship now is a refurb).

· Legend
639 Posts
As I posted some while back, I finally cut the cord. After decades of sat, just not worth it anymore if you have decent internet. We got fiber, I dumped Dish. I have no regrets. It did take a few months of acclimating, finding the right balance of streaming services, etc. But I'm now happy, and paying 1/3 what I was paying. The key is to not sign up for any of the 'live streaming' svcs, those are basically just what you'd get via satellite but over internet, and for almost as much money. Streaming content from the likes of Netflix, Paramount, Disney, etc is all on instantaneous demand, huge libraries. If you need locals and can't receive them (like me, in the boonies), there are free streamers such as Very Local, ABC News Live, etc. that give you current news delayed an hour or two.

One of the huge benefits for me is that during the rerun season, I don't have to pay for sat just to ignore all the repeats. With streaming, just suspend or cancel, turn it back on when you want.

Downside is that there are still a very few sources that only let you stream if you sign up for one of the expensive live streamers. CNN is an example. Well, living in the past. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.

I pay a bit more for no-ad streaming on streamers that provide that, still far cheaper than D with commercials..

Bill

PS - and my fiber is reliable. No twice-yearly sun outage. No ever-increasing blackouts because of contract negotiations, no yet another dead DVR (because all D seems to ship now is a refurb).
I also had cord cut. I watch all the free 200 channels on my Smart Samsung TV. They do have commercials, but it is free.

· Registered
2,302 Posts
I have both. Dish & streaming. Too many outages with the internet in the boonies. I do have OTA, but even that is not perfect as we rely on translators and they get knocked off the air and we may not have some channels for several days to weeks. Every situation is different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts