DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of tries I finally got a tech out to ground my DTV Dish that was never grounded when it was installed. I made the mistake of not reviewing the guy's work before he left. Well after looking at it the wire runs down the house from the wall mount on the dish to the metal pipe going underground for the phone line. I'd also guess the wire was about 16 gauge.

When I previously installed my own dish I used 12/14 gauge wire and ran it from the dish to the electrical ground rod. I also used a couple of coax ground straps (or whatever they're called). The 4 lines from the dish connect to these straps and the 4 lines into the house connect to the other side. Is this what I need to do to correctly ground the dish?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Yep, if the dish and the coax lines are both grounded, and to the same grounding point, you're fine. "Grounding blocks" is the word you were looking for.

My installer didn't ground my dish either, so I grounded it myself the next weekend.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that it, grounding blocks. And no, they are missing. If ya want it done right......

·
Legend
237 Posts
Forgive my denseness but, what is the reason for the grounding? Two times I have had my D* system installed, both on tripods but there isn't any grounding wire or block. All there is, is the dish, coax and switch. Am I correct in assuming the installers didn't ground my system. Should I have it done?

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your installs were not gounded.

The primary reason for grounding is to lessen the effect of lightning strikes. With an ungrounded dish attached to your house a lightning strike will ground itself through your house, with a good chance of starting a fire. A properly grounded dish will divert most (but not all) the power of a strike through the ground doing less damage to your house.

From the equipment standpoint an ungrounded dish/coax will also ground a strike through your equipment.

The second from the last DTV installer that was out here, the one that I discussed the missing ground with and the one that was suppose to install the ground but didn't, told me that the day before he had a 4 hour job replacing the dish, all cable runs and 4 DVRs/receivers due to a lightening strike. Kinda funny, I'll bet that install wasn't properly grounded either.

Bottom line is an ungrounded dish/coax has a much higher chance or torching your home and equipment than a properly grounded dish/coax.

·
Legend
237 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Sounds like your installs were not gounded.

The primary reason for grounding is to lessen the effect of lightning strikes. With an ungrounded dish attached to your house a lightning strike will ground itself through your house, with a good chance of starting a fire. A properly grounded dish will divert most (but not all) the power of a strike through the ground doing less damage to your house.

From the equipment standpoint an ungrounded dish/coax will also ground a strike through your equipment.

The second from the last DTV installer that was out here, the one that I discussed the missing ground with and the one that was suppose to install the ground but didn't, told me that the day before he had a 4 hour job replacing the dish, all cable runs and 4 DVRs/receivers due to a lightening strike. Kinda funny, I'll bet that install wasn't properly grounded either.

Bottom line is an ungrounded dish/coax has a much higher chance or torching your home and equipment than a properly grounded dish/coax.
I am going to call D* and ask them to send someone out to ground my installation. Even though my dish is on a tripod on dirt, by what you said, my equipment is in danger and possible damage to the unit (house) due to the fact the cables are attached to it going up. Am I right and should have it grounded anyway?

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SBacklin said:
I am going to call D* and ask them to send someone out to ground my installation. Even though my dish is on a tripod on dirt, by what you said, my equipment is in danger and possible damage to the unit (house) due to the fact the cables are attached to it going up. Am I right and should have it grounded anyway?
You may want to run to Lowes or Home Depot and grab grounding rod and hammer that into the ground right by your tripod. The installer can attach the ground wire to that. Just make sure you inspect it before they leave. Also make sure they install grounding blocks for the coax. Here's a pic of my old DirecWay install with the grounding block. This is what the last DTV installer that came out Friday failed to do on mine.

Attachments

·
Banned
378 Posts
Wolffpack said:
You may want to run to Lowes or Home Depot and grab grounding rod and hammer that into the ground right by your tripod. The installer can attach the ground wire to that. Just make sure you inspect it before they leave. Also make sure they install grounding blocks for the coax. Here's a pic of my old DirecWay install with the grounding block. This is what the last DTV installer that came out Friday failed to do on mine.
WOLF,
(layman terms)
The dish /mast ground should be 17 awg > usually this is with a messenger wire that IS already attached to the cble. > Purpose = removal and a place for the STATIC electricity to be discharged Which reduces "the draw" of a lightning strike. (from dish mast to ground blk)

THE COAX gr wire should be AT least #10 awg. (from gr blk to NEC approved gr location/source)

So even that pic of the D-way is incorrect grounding.

THose ground rds mentioned(drove in the ground) are NOT legal grounds UNLESS they are 8 ft ground rods.

ALSO.. depending on how the NEC is read AND who you ask opinions "some say" each gr wire needs to be independently ran to the gr source.

Personally on residential installs i use the ground blk and the doulble screws per the blk to ground the mast and then a #10 wire from the gr blk to the proper gr source.

ALWAYS provide drip loops (circles w/ the coax) at each end of the gr blk also.

On the Big REAL jobs i run 2 seperate wire (mast and coax gr) to an appropriate NEC gr source. Why ya wonder?.. Its not because i BELIEVE the necessity and interpretation of the NEC... BUT .. simply due to different inspectors may have a diff interpretation and its My safe way out knowingly to adhere to any inspection and prevent that word/paper of "punch list" (wink)

View attachment 6377

Heres is a picture of some proper grounding.. (this one is a residential install that for some reason (lol) i ran 2 sep wires (mast & coax) to the MAIN gr souce > (notice BOTH copper ground lugs and the drip loops)..

You see something resembling this at your residence then you ARE grounded properly. You dont.. well the so called wanna be's that did your install Just violated & Neglicated the NATIONAL NEC CODE not to mention seperate local codes per local/DMA.

(PS.. wOLF> GO LOOK @ that "AT-9 needs help" thread if ya want to see some REAL grounding. I posted a pic there of a commercial ground in a EQ rm.)

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Bama. I was waiting for your input. Best just to do it myself.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Thanks for the info Bama. I was waiting for your input. Best just to do it myself.
View attachment 6381

Remember if you have a P3 Multisat (3 lnb) OR an AT-9 you will have 4 wires from dish. THUS useing 2 gr blks. *MAKE SURE* you Loop the #10awg (use sun/oil resistant #10awg "green" ) through both screws of the 2 SEPERATE ground blks to "bond/tie them together".

Used a 3 gig Ground blk. (*blue or red ends usually NOT CLEAR) UL listed
AND USE a Double screw gr blk (=screw for each gr wire = 1 mast gr... 1 coax gr...)
(not that china look a like)

You do this brother he he.. it will be JUST like i was there (wink).:)

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Come morning I'll get a pic of what the Ironwood wonderboys did to ground this baby.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Cool. Come morning I'll get a pic of what the Ironwood wonderboys did to ground this baby.
I can Only imagine... lmao (ill check back t-mor to see)

funny though that that "scan" is STRAIGHT FROM an Unopened D* dish Box just now and the Installers you had/have ARE STRAIGHT from D* APPROVED Install Program.

He he.. Can you Say

"Irony"?;)

"Calling the Kettle black?" .. OR .. "practice what you preach".... Maybe

Take your pick Huh?

Also get this.. if a hsp rolls to a job and sees a job Not installed by "them" and it is Not grounded properly a call to D* and that "kids" word and signature gets the original installer a *$100 charge back in the first 90 days.

Told ya the HSp is a construed racket! You Are Now evidence Wolf (lol)

HSP= a simple joke derived on profit w/o a care one for a cust. w/ QUANITY foremost & NO Quality and in some instances (as yours) No refernece to NATIONAL electrical code "whatsoever".

(sigh)..

·
Legend
103 Posts
Another reason that you want to ground your DirecTV antenna is to avoid ground loops. The ungrounded DirecTV input is a common introduction of hum into the system.

Richard

·
Legend
115 Posts
D-Bamatech said:
View attachment 6381

Remember if you have a P3 Multisat (3 lnb) OR an AT-9 you will have 4 wires from dish. THUS useing 2 gr blks. *MAKE SURE* you Loop the #10awg (use sun/oil resistant #10awg "green" ) through both screws of the 2 SEPERATE ground blks to "bond/tie them together".

Used a 3 gig Ground blk. (*blue or red ends usually NOT CLEAR) UL listed
AND USE a Double screw gr blk (=screw for each gr wire = 1 mast gr... 1 coax gr...)
(not that china look a like)

You do this brother he he.. it will be JUST like i was there (wink).:)
Are the ground blocks necessary if the 4 cables from the mast lead to a multiswitch? I mean, the switch has grounding connectors...so, can those be used instead?
Last weekend, I started to clean up the mess from the installer. Instead of grounding the mast, etc. he clipped off and used the messenger wire to tie down the cables around the mast. He also left the switch kinda dangling in the breeze and exposed out to the elements while, only 6 inches away, he had a nice post from my deck to hang it off of (on the dry side underneath - deck is 10' above grade)...won't even go into the lattice work wrapping the sides of the deck that he mangled trying to weave the cables. Also, no drip loops and no insulating caulking where he fed 2 new runs :nono2:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I'm guessing that installers are required to follow the local codes in regards to electrical grounding. If the installer is negligent with the grounding and there is damage to your house or equipment as a result, do you have the right to sue or some other legal recourse against the installation company?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Can you ground on the inside of your house? Or does it have to be on the outside?

Where on the dish does the grounding wire attach?

Thanks

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
My dish isn't grounded but my coax is. 4 coax from the dish go into my basement into my grounding blocks which are grounded to the main house ground. Then small 4 foot loops to the multiswitch and then from there to the receivers. I had it all grounded before. When my installer came to swap the dish the only thing he was concerned about was making sure the coax was grounded. But then my dish is on a 5 foot metal pole which goes 2 feet into the ground into cement so perhaps that grounded enough. :) In either case I've never had my dish grounded in the 10 years I've had DirecTV and the coax only for the past 4.

·
Legend
129 Posts
lpctv said:
Are the ground blocks necessary if the 4 cables from the mast lead to a multiswitch? I mean, the switch has grounding connectors...so, can those be used instead?
Someone with more knowledge than me could probably answer better but my understanding is that if your multiswitch is close to where the wires enter your house than you can use it to ground the coax.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.