DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Legend
237 Posts
Forgive my denseness but, what is the reason for the grounding? Two times I have had my D* system installed, both on tripods but there isn't any grounding wire or block. All there is, is the dish, coax and switch. Am I correct in assuming the installers didn't ground my system. Should I have it done?

·
Legend
237 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Sounds like your installs were not gounded.

The primary reason for grounding is to lessen the effect of lightning strikes. With an ungrounded dish attached to your house a lightning strike will ground itself through your house, with a good chance of starting a fire. A properly grounded dish will divert most (but not all) the power of a strike through the ground doing less damage to your house.

From the equipment standpoint an ungrounded dish/coax will also ground a strike through your equipment.

The second from the last DTV installer that was out here, the one that I discussed the missing ground with and the one that was suppose to install the ground but didn't, told me that the day before he had a 4 hour job replacing the dish, all cable runs and 4 DVRs/receivers due to a lightening strike. Kinda funny, I'll bet that install wasn't properly grounded either.

Bottom line is an ungrounded dish/coax has a much higher chance or torching your home and equipment than a properly grounded dish/coax.
I am going to call D* and ask them to send someone out to ground my installation. Even though my dish is on a tripod on dirt, by what you said, my equipment is in danger and possible damage to the unit (house) due to the fact the cables are attached to it going up. Am I right and should have it grounded anyway?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.