DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
378 Posts
Wolffpack said:
You may want to run to Lowes or Home Depot and grab grounding rod and hammer that into the ground right by your tripod. The installer can attach the ground wire to that. Just make sure you inspect it before they leave. Also make sure they install grounding blocks for the coax. Here's a pic of my old DirecWay install with the grounding block. This is what the last DTV installer that came out Friday failed to do on mine.
WOLF,
(layman terms)
The dish /mast ground should be 17 awg > usually this is with a messenger wire that IS already attached to the cble. > Purpose = removal and a place for the STATIC electricity to be discharged Which reduces "the draw" of a lightning strike. (from dish mast to ground blk)

THE COAX gr wire should be AT least #10 awg. (from gr blk to NEC approved gr location/source)

So even that pic of the D-way is incorrect grounding.

THose ground rds mentioned(drove in the ground) are NOT legal grounds UNLESS they are 8 ft ground rods.

ALSO.. depending on how the NEC is read AND who you ask opinions "some say" each gr wire needs to be independently ran to the gr source.

Personally on residential installs i use the ground blk and the doulble screws per the blk to ground the mast and then a #10 wire from the gr blk to the proper gr source.

ALWAYS provide drip loops (circles w/ the coax) at each end of the gr blk also.

On the Big REAL jobs i run 2 seperate wire (mast and coax gr) to an appropriate NEC gr source. Why ya wonder?.. Its not because i BELIEVE the necessity and interpretation of the NEC... BUT .. simply due to different inspectors may have a diff interpretation and its My safe way out knowingly to adhere to any inspection and prevent that word/paper of "punch list" (wink)

View attachment 6377

Heres is a picture of some proper grounding.. (this one is a residential install that for some reason (lol) i ran 2 sep wires (mast & coax) to the MAIN gr souce > (notice BOTH copper ground lugs and the drip loops)..

You see something resembling this at your residence then you ARE grounded properly. You dont.. well the so called wanna be's that did your install Just violated & Neglicated the NATIONAL NEC CODE not to mention seperate local codes per local/DMA.

(PS.. wOLF> GO LOOK @ that "AT-9 needs help" thread if ya want to see some REAL grounding. I posted a pic there of a commercial ground in a EQ rm.)

·
Banned
378 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Thanks for the info Bama. I was waiting for your input. Best just to do it myself.
View attachment 6381

Remember if you have a P3 Multisat (3 lnb) OR an AT-9 you will have 4 wires from dish. THUS useing 2 gr blks. *MAKE SURE* you Loop the #10awg (use sun/oil resistant #10awg "green" ) through both screws of the 2 SEPERATE ground blks to "bond/tie them together".

Used a 3 gig Ground blk. (*blue or red ends usually NOT CLEAR) UL listed
AND USE a Double screw gr blk (=screw for each gr wire = 1 mast gr... 1 coax gr...)
(not that china look a like)

You do this brother he he.. it will be JUST like i was there (wink).:)

·
Banned
378 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Cool. Come morning I'll get a pic of what the Ironwood wonderboys did to ground this baby.
I can Only imagine... lmao (ill check back t-mor to see)

funny though that that "scan" is STRAIGHT FROM an Unopened D* dish Box just now and the Installers you had/have ARE STRAIGHT from D* APPROVED Install Program.

He he.. Can you Say

"Irony"?;)

"Calling the Kettle black?" .. OR .. "practice what you preach".... Maybe

Take your pick Huh?

Also get this.. if a hsp rolls to a job and sees a job Not installed by "them" and it is Not grounded properly a call to D* and that "kids" word and signature gets the original installer a *$100 charge back in the first 90 days.

Told ya the HSp is a construed racket! You Are Now evidence Wolf (lol)

HSP= a simple joke derived on profit w/o a care one for a cust. w/ QUANITY foremost & NO Quality and in some instances (as yours) No refernece to NATIONAL electrical code "whatsoever".

(sigh)..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.