DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOSCOW (Reuters) - A roof at Russia's Baikonur space complex, the linchpin of the Soviet space program, collapsed Sunday, trapping eight workers who were feared to have died under the rubble, space officials said.

Officials said it was unlikely the team, which was working on the roof, had survived the 260-foot plunge at the complex, now located in ex-Soviet Kazakhstan. High winds made the wrecked building unstable and complicated rescue efforts.

Officials at Rosaviakosmos, Russia's space agency, told Russian media that three columns supporting a roof had given way Sunday morning at building No. 112, a vast hangar used for Russia's "Buran" (Snowstorm) shuttle spacecraft. They said one of the shuttle's models was inside the building.

Click here for full story

·
Godfather/Supporter
342 Posts
Originally posted by John Corn
MOSCOW (Reuters) - A roof at Russia's Baikonur space complex, the linchpin of the Soviet space program, collapsed Sunday, trapping eight workers who were feared to have died under the rubble, space officials said.

Officials said it was unlikely the team, which was working on the roof, had survived the 260-foot plunge at the complex, now located in ex-Soviet Kazakhstan. High winds made the wrecked building unstable and complicated rescue efforts.

Officials at Rosaviakosmos, Russia's space agency, told Russian media that three columns supporting a roof had given way Sunday morning at building No. 112, a vast hangar used for Russia's "Buran" (Snowstorm) shuttle spacecraft. They said one of the shuttle's models was inside the building.

Click here for full story
I know that Nasa is far from perfect but it always make me nervous when someone other than NASA lauches a satellite. Personally I would rather see a delay in the launch to make sure everything is working fine at Baikonur than have the satellite destroyed. They would have to build a new satellite and then be at the end of the line waiting for a launch date. Charlie has always been a stickler about the insurance for his Satellites, I hope he still is

·
Icon
955 Posts
Evidently the E8 spacecraft was not in the bldg that that collapsed. But with all the work that needs to be done to "clean up" I wouldn't be surprised to see the scheduled launches pushed back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.