DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously D*, you couldn't pick a worse time of the year for a software release that's less stable than the last one.

Football is the only reason I haven't dumped you. Or do you know that, and you know I'll take it because I can't go anywhere else?

Just venting.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
superunlikely said:
Seriously D*, you couldn't pick a worse time of the year for a software release that's less stable than the last one.

Football is the only reason I haven't dumped you. Or do you know that, and you know I'll take it because I can't go anywhere else?

Just venting.
I feel your pain. Working 2nd shift and trying to record games lately has been unbearable.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
superunlikely said:

Just venting.
Completely understand your venting. Luckily I have an HR10 to use as well as an HR20 (which I do not hate but do not yet trust for "critical" recordings).

One of the advantages of the Tivo models upgrade process (download via satellite, install requiring phone call) is that the user has some control over whether to upgrade to newer software; i.e., you can unplug the phone line if you want to stay at the current version.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
bwaldron said:
One of the advantages of the Tivo models upgrade process (download via satellite, install requiring phone call) is that the user has some control over whether to upgrade to newer software; i.e., you can unplug the phone line if you want to stay at the current version.
That is also one of the disadvantages as well (IMHO), as if DirecTV needs to provide an update, so they can "update" something else in the data stream... they can guarantee that everyone is at the same software level, with what ever "changes" are necessary.

Hence they go ahead and make that change, and brake those that "decided" not to go to newer versions... and thus end up having to replace those units.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwaldron said:
Completely understand your venting. Luckily I have an HR10 to use as well as an HR20 (which I do not hate but do not yet trust for "critical" recordings).

Yeah I have two old SD D-Tivos that I guess I'll have to fire up before I go on vacation.

·
I am Iron Man!
1,672 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
That is also one of the disadvantages as well (IMHO), as if DirecTV needs to provide an update, so they can "update" something else in the data stream... they can guarantee that everyone is at the same software level, with what ever "changes" are necessary.

Hence they go ahead and make that change, and brake those that "decided" not to go to newer versions... and thus end up having to replace those units.
Can you please explain how not downloading the latest software would break those units? It does not make sense to me sorry...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
gcisko said:
Can you please explain how not downloading the latest software would break those units? It does not make sense to me sorry...
If there is a change to the say... the guide data stream, that the HR20 looks at. Or a compatibility update to the MPEG-4 encoding stream.

That requires an update on the HR20 to understand those changes...
Then not getting the update, would make it seem like your unit is "broken"

It is also difficult on the CSR tier, if you have users out there with different software versions to diagnosis and help solve problems... (stop laughing).

And actually there is this going on right now. Some new firmware versions are being pushed out for other receivers, so they can get the Channels I Receive feature working properly on all models of the receivers.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And actually there is this going on right now. Some new firmware versions are being pushed out for other receivers, so they can get the Channels I Receive feature working properly on all models of the receivers.
Is this going on for the H20?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Brantel said:
Is this going on for the H20?
No the H20 is not being pushed yet, it's code versions are still in testing.

The D10's and D11's are being updated... but there are a LOT of them, so it is going to take a while.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Yes, understood. And in general there's no reason not to want an update. However, this "feature" came in handy to those of us who had major problems with 6.3a on the HR10 and reverted to 3.1.5 (and wanted to stay there until the new patch was delivered).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.