DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Godfather
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some conflicting information from around the web so just want to clarify..

I would only use this receiver with a single TV.

From what I understand it has 3 HD tuners? So with a OTA antenna and HD locals through dish I would be able to record 3 local shows at the same time in HD? Would I then, while 3 shows are recording, be able to watch something else that was already recorded?

I am currently a Direct TV subscriber and have the HR10. It's a nice unit and I love it but it's MPEG2 only so no HD locals. My OTA antenna can be a bit flakey when watching football during the day and Direct TV doesn't offer HD locals in my area yet. Though Dish does.

Any reason why I should consider the Direct TV HR20 over the VIP 622?

·
Mentor
36 Posts
I say go with E* and the 622. You do have it right. Three tuners including OTA. Just solve your OTA antenna issues and you could record two football games at once in HD while watching something completely different. I really think the 622 is a great machine and if you get all the available HD channels, you will almost always find something awesome-looking to watch (I'll leave the content judgement to you!).

·
Mentor
36 Posts
The answer to your new edited question is yes. You can record three items at once while watching something else already recorded. In fact, if you have the 622 hooked up to two TVs, you could be watching two different recordings on two different TVs while recording three shows. All of this content could be HD. On TV2, the HD content would be downrezzed to SD though.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,498 Posts
archer75 said:
Any reason why I should consider the Direct TV HR20 over the VIP 622?
I'll give you two reasons NOT to consider the DirecTV HR20 right now: First, the HR20's HDMI output hasn't been enabled, second, the OTA ATSC tuners won't be enabled until late this year or early next year. And before you even consider it, talk to someone that actually owns one (NOT a dealer) about software problems. I have no doubt that DirecTV will fix the software bugs and enable OTA and the HDMI output but clearly the HR20 was pushed out the door before it was fully ready.

·
Godfather
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill R said:
I'll give you two reasons NOT to consider the DirecTV HR20 right now: First, the HR20's HDMI output hasn't been enabled, second, the OTA ATSC tuners won't be enabled until late this year or early next year. And before you even consider it, talk to someone that actually owns one (NOT a dealer) about software problems. I have no doubt that DirecTV will fix the software bugs and enable OTA and the HDMI output but clearly the HR20 was pushed out the door before it was fully ready.
HDMI isn't a concern for me. Though the OTA antenna is. Why do they have that disabled now?

Also, is Dish planning on launching any more satellites any time soon? I hear they are almost at capacity for what channels they can offer so i'm curious about thier future HD plans are.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
Not a technical problem. However it will be $$$ problem as they charge a fee for no landline hookup so it will cost more per month.

·
Godfather
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBoneit said:
Not a technical problem. However it will be $$$ problem as they charge a fee for no landline hookup so it will cost more per month.
What's the purpose of the charge? It still doesn't change the fact that I don't have a landline so why do they charge it?

·
Legend
236 Posts
archer75 said:
HDMI isn't a concern for me. Though the OTA antenna is. Why do they have that disabled now?

Also, is Dish planning on launching any more satellites any time soon? I hear they are almost at capacity for what channels they can offer so i'm curious about thier future HD plans are.
I don't think HDMI is disabled. It's just been problematic for many.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,498 Posts
DanoP said:
I don't think HDMI is disabled. It's just been problematic for many.
It might be; I think it depends on which DirecTV support person you talk to as to what the story is. I do know my neighbor's HDMI doesn't work on his HR20 and he was told (this week) that HDMI hasn't been activated yet .

·
Hall Of Fame
2,498 Posts
archer75 said:
DirecTV isn't saying.

Yes, they have some in the pipeline. DirecTV is also in the same boat as far as NATIONAL HD channels are concerned. They have lots of capacity to add LOCAL HD markets (via spot beam satellites) but they won't be able to add HD channels that most of their customers want until they launch a new satellite next year.

·
Legend
236 Posts
Bill R said:
It might be; I think it depends on which DirecTV support person you talk to as to what the story is. I do know my neighbor's HDMI doesn't work on his HR20 and he was told (this week) that HDMI hasn't been activated yet .
If it isn't activated then no one would have reception through that port. That is not the case as evidenced by this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66191

I almost purchased the HR20 so I'm pretty familiar with the issues it is having.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
archer75 said:
What's the purpose of the charge? It still doesn't change the fact that I don't have a landline so why do they charge it?
I have no idea why they charge it since I don't work for dish. I do know that the 622 warns me I'll be liable for the no phone line fee if I unplug it to plug something else in and forget to replug it. :(

Call and ask a CSR what the fee is and why.

·
Legend
236 Posts
archer75 said:
They argue that they really aren't charging you if you don't have a landline. They say instead that they 'waive' the $5 fee for the second TV if you have it connected to a phone. :icon_lame Ha! Anyway, I too don't have a landline (use a cell phone for my home) and I couldn't argue my way into them dropping the fee. DirecTV charges the 5 bucks for a second TV so I said what the h*ll.....it ain't a deal buster for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.