DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Getting my system set up with 3 HR20's and shared HD all over the house. Can't wait - about 2 months away now:)

Quick question - has anyone used this remote (I believe it is similar to the 850 Universal Remote with a Crestron badge on it).

If so, are you able to get ALL of the buttons on the remote i.e. the color coded buttons? My reason for asking is that there are more context sensitive items on the GUI now for the color buttons and, although there is an LCD screen that can be programmed with R,B,G, Y tags, I don't know if I need them there all of the time.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?

Also, does anyone have a shared system with distributed HD using the HR20?

Just curious.

Thanks much!!

Jay

·
3 Posts
Jayk,

Do you currently have the ML 600's, how many?

Are you going to be programming them yourself?

What type of video switch will you be using? [unrelated, but curious]

Have you seen the Crestron TPMC-4X (wi-fi enabled, 2 way touch panel)?

The cost of the materials isn't that far apart, providing you are using an E processor already. If you add up the cost of a ML 600, RF Gateway, etc.

The touch panel interface on the TPMC-4X is much more flexible than the ML 600. However there are other costs associated with this remote, such as a difference in programming time/fee.

We have programmed quite a few of them already (ML 600's), and I will see about sending you (or your A/V company) the module our programmers have made.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
capnkt said:
Jayk,

Do you currently have the ML 600's, how many?

Are you going to be programming them yourself?

What type of video switch will you be using? [unrelated, but curious]

Have you seen the Crestron TPMC-4X (wi-fi enabled, 2 way touch panel)?

The cost of the materials isn't that far apart, providing you are using an E processor already. If you add up the cost of a ML 600, RF Gateway, etc.

The touch panel interface on the TPMC-4X is much more flexible than the ML 600. However there are other costs associated with this remote, such as a difference in programming time/fee.

We have programmed quite a few of them already (ML 600's), and I will see about sending you (or your A/V company) the module our programmers have made.

Regards,

Kevin
Hey Kevin - thanks a ton for the response!

We are building a new house and have the wiring already done. We're going full blown Crestron with Component HD video sharing throughout. Using a PVID and stepped up from the Adagio to one of the main pro units (MC2E I think) due to some limitations of the Adagio.

We opted for the ML600's for the main remotes as I am a channel surfer and the touchscreen on the 4x didn't seem like the right tool for the job. We did, however, splurge for the new 8x so I'm excited to see how that works. We will just have the ML 600's in each room so they are much like a regular remote for the wife. Too many screens, etc. will frustrate her. I think we'll also use the xPanel for control in rooms with computers for the audio,etc. We may try to swap one or two ML's for the 4x once we see how they work but for now - it's hard buttons for the channel surfing!

If you are interested - we are adding audio throughout the house, a ReQuest server with 2 zones and will have the HVAC setup going through the system as well (although we'll probably just set and forget it. I had to upgrade to higher level thermostats anyway so we went with the Crestrons).

So far the company I have been using has been really good. We got a few quotes and I didn't really care for one of the people as he said my system was quite 'small' for what they normally do. I assure you , it doesn't feel 'small' to us but it isn't 200 TVs. We went with someone who appreciated our needs and saw us as a valuable customer.

Anyway - back to my original question. As I am very new at this, and new with the HR20 - I would love to be able to forward anything you have that might be useful for my installer/programmer. Is this something you put up at the Yahoo Crestron message boards or do you charge for it?

One last question - how do you have the color buttons set up on the ML600? I am just curious about that due to their context sensitivity.

Thanks again for your help - it is MUCH appreciated!

Jay

·
3 Posts
Jayk,

Congratulations on your new home. It sounds like your system designer has steered you in the right direction with regards to the limitations of the Adagio system. They sure sounded like a no brainer at first, but we are finding that you tend to run out of processing power pretty quickly.

You clearly cannot go wrong with a Pvid or a MC2E as a processor as well. We almost never use the MC2W, unless it is a single room solution. We prefer to be able to log on to a clients system and troubleshoot it prior to making a trip to the house/business.

The biggest feedback from clients that have upgraded from ML 600 to a two way touch panel, is the feedback capability from the music servers, HVAC controllers, DVD managers, Pool Jandy systems, IPOD's, security systems, etc.

Once the learning curve is over, the 4x seems to be the remote of choice (just ask my wife!). The ML 600's, and the MX 850 for that matter are pretty bullet proof, particularly when it comes to little kids, ask me how I know?:D

I will see if we have posted it onto Yahoo groups. I spoke with a programmer today that said he has had some troubles with an MX 850, but never with a Crestron based IR system.

I'll try to get back with you tomorrow, otherwise it will likely be after the New Year. I would be happy to give you my contact info as well. Just PM me if you are interested, and I'll reply back with all of that information. I'm sure we can provide your A/V company with the appropriate modules for the ML 600, and possibly the touch panel interface module. I never speak to the programmers touch screen modules, as they tend to be "their babies" and I'd rather leave that up to their discretion.

As a side note, you will love the HR20-700. We have installed probably 20 in the last month, and not one of them has been returned. The only thing that had me spooked was this forum, hwever it also afforded me the opportunity to get my HR 20 direct from D* (we are dealers) for a song. Actually much cheaper than if I bought it at cost, bought the slim line dish at cost, and had one of our techs install it.

I honestly think most people would be shocked at how much the equipment and install winds up costing Direct TV. Fortunately our customers don't generally ask what the price is. If they do, I send them to Direct TV for the equipment and install, and then we fix what (if anything) they mess up.

Best regards,

Kevin

·
Mentor
48 Posts
Yes, I use two crestron ML-600's (One upstairs, one down). The color buttons where just put on the LCD.

I have 3 satellite receivers set up to distribute through a neothings. I also have a crestron adagio that sets up to handle all the remote codes and sound distribution for my tv's that don't have digital sound inputs.

jayk said:
Hi all. Getting my system set up with 3 HR20's and shared HD all over the house. Can't wait

- about 2 months away now:)

Quick question - has anyone used this remote (I believe it is similar to the 850 Universal Remote with a Crestron badge on it).

If so, are you able to get ALL of the buttons on the remote i.e. the color coded buttons? My reason for asking is that there are more context sensitive items on the GUI now for the color buttons and, although there is an LCD screen that can be programmed with R,B,G, Y tags, I don't know if I need them there all of the time.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?

Also, does anyone have a shared system with distributed HD using the HR20?

Just curious.

Thanks much!!

Jay

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Terry - Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like I am doing something similar with my setup.

How do you like the 600's? How is the responsiveness? I kinda figured the color buttons would work in the LCD screen but wasn't sure.

Any tips? We have all of the wiring done and finish work will be in a few weeks but I'm always looking to learn from folks who have done this already.

Are your HR20's in a rack mount in a closet or basement? Any issues with frequent resets or recording bugs? Just curious. I haven't been hit too badly but my units will be in a rack in the basement so I want to minimize the trips for RBRs:)

I'm assuming the shared audio is coming from ceiling/wall mount speakers yes? If so, how do you like that setup? We will be doing all of the TVs except our main family room monster that way. At first I was a bit skeptical but I keep seeing benefits to this setup. How has your experience been?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks again and any info you would like to share would be appreciated!

Jay

·
5 Posts
Hi,
Not trying to turn this into a Crestron forum but wanted to give my opinion if anybody wants it. The ML-600 is a great remote, it was actually my first crestron remote, but I wanted touch screen so I stepped up the MT-1000c. This touch panel had a great feel, all of the hard buttons were perfectly placed on the sides, which left a good amount of real estate for the touch screen for number pad and other buttons. However, the design cant be given credit to crestron as they pretty much just took universal remote design, loaded their own software and jacked up the price just because they are crestron :/. I then wanted two way communication, I had the TPMC-10, but it had problems, and it was kinda bulky. Then came the TPMC-8x. This touch panel is great and I fell in love with it. My ownly gripe about it battery life, but I keep it in its docking station most of the time, so far it hasnt been a real issue.

But to answer your question, I do use the color buttons on the remote especially for the guide. When you want to check something in the guide that is days ahead, u can use the color buttons to advance 12 hours at a time. You can also use the color buttons to pull the guide up at the bottom of the screen instead of full screen to channel surf, I dont use that that often, but I can see where other ppl would like that feature. The other button you may also want on there is the dash (-) button. Especially if you have OTA local channels, as your channels are 2-1, as oppose to channel 2. But you could use the 10+ button as your dash button. If you are getting a TPMC-8x, u will have no real estate problems, and the best part is you programming favorites on it, have the tv logo as a button and when u press it, it will go straight to that channel.

This is just my opinion, but I was not a fan of the TPMC-4x. I noticed similiar problem that the TPMC-10 had, and I hardly recommend it to my customers, unless it was simple enough and it fit the budget well. Again, other may disagree with me and that is understandable.

Hope this helps.

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info P! Not a Crestron forum - just a thread:D

That is pretty much how I envisioned the operation of the unit working. I had heard similar issues with the 4x and that, coupled with the tactile feel of the buttons for channel surfing led us to the ML600's. Not to mention - the reason we all spend so much on Crestron is because of its 'bullet proof' operation. My wife would kill me if I had some of the connectivity issues with the 4x that others are experiencing.

In terms of the 8x - well, you have to have at least 1 touch panel on each floor to do some of the more complicated stuff and we are putting a TPS2000 in one of the bathrooms as a TV/control panel. I don't envision carrying the 8x around to use as a remote control but more for the audio, web browsing, etc.

I do like the idea of the '-' button although I'm not sure if I will end up with OTA or not. I had the installer run an RG6 to the attic and down to the rack just in case but I don't mind the setup with the MPEG4's for now. However, if it ever does have the ability to record/watch 3 things at once then I'm in!!:D

Thanks again for the feedback and input. Much appreciated. Again, the whole forum doesn't need to go Crestron but I enjoy learning about people's experiences as this is all new to me.

Jay

·
Mentor
48 Posts
Hi,

The ML-600 is a great remote for us.. I've got the WAF... (Wife Acceptance Factor).

The only tip I have is make sure you have a good programmer/installer.. The only issues we've had has been some "double presses" of some of the keys. My programmer fixed this by changing the length of the IR flash in the Crestron... It still happens every once in a while, just depends on how long we hold down the buton when we press it.

My HR20, HD Direct Tivo and my R15 are all in the same rack.. They are on different flasher ports on the Adagio. I've been lucky on the reboots so far on my HR20, and it only froze up once on me where I had to go pull the plug. They are in a rack in a walk in air conditioned closet next to my office.

Yes, we have ceiling speakers in the Family room.. We currently have a plasma in the master and haven't gotten to phase ii of my project which will be another receiver in my rack and speakers in the Master BR.. Haven't gotten the WAF on that one yet..

jayk said:
Hey Terry - Thanks for the reply!
Sounds like I am doing something similar with my setup.
How do you like the 600's? How is the responsiveness? I kinda figured the color buttons would work in the LCD screen but wasn't sure.

Any tips? We have all of the wiring done and finish work will be in a few weeks but I'm always looking to learn from folks who have done this already.

Are your HR20's in a rack mount in a closet or basement? Any issues with frequent resets or recording bugs? Just curious. I haven't been hit too badly but my units will be in a rack in the basement so I want to minimize the trips for RBRs:)

I'm assuming the shared audio is coming from ceiling/wall mount speakers yes? If so, how do you like that setup? We will be doing all of the TVs except our main family room monster that way. At first I was a bit skeptical but I keep seeing benefits to this setup. How has your experience been?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks again and any info you would like to share would be appreciated!

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.