DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call 2 nights ago from Directv. She told me that they got a report that my signals are low and they need to verify. I went thru each satellite. Basically 99 signal averages around 65, 101 is around 90, 103 about 70, 110 about 90, and 119 about 95, average. All my channels are coming in just fine however. She said she'd set up a courtesy alignment, but I told her I had no problems but I'll take a raincheck on it at a later date (ok that went real far I know).

I understand there is an "IV" rollout, and that is why they called? Should I have pushed that she go ahead and realign the dish? STrangely when I called back, the CSR had no record of anyone calling me. She had me tune to ESPNH and of course it comes in fine, so I had no argument. She added to my account that an "outside source called about a free alignment", so she said if I needed one that I'd get it.

I don't think I need to push it but I know that from day one it was probably not perfectly aligned. I did the sat test last Dec when it was installed and the nbrs were this way.

1) Should I push a realignment?
2) Who called if CSR didn't know who it was?

·
Registered
725 Posts
i got called today too. i explained to them that i'm going through a tropical storm here and that my satellite is just fine. nice service though. :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
If they call me, I wonder if I can wrangle something for free out of them. :lol:

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Apparently someone here is very gullible -- it wasn't DirecTV calling you. Out of millions of subscribers, why should D* call you about your alledged signal strength deficiencies? Think about it. Sounds like they're working a confidence game under the guise of being "helpful".

You have likely been "phished" by a third party sat marketer for whatever reason, most likely to up-sell you or get money out of you for some nefarious scheme, such as upgrading you a new dish that you don't really need.

In addition to giving up your "signal strength" readings, what other pertinent personal , account or receiver-specific information did you innocently reveal? In order for anyone to be scammed, they themselves have to be willing, at the very least, to cooperate to some extent, if not actually participate, for some perceived benefit.

Most scams succeed because of the 'victim's' greed -- seeing an opportunity for personal gain. Remember, folks, the first syllable in "confidence" is "con".

I'm just saying... :shrug:

·
Godfather
318 Posts
Nick said:
Apparently someone here is very gullible -- it wasn't DirecTV calling you. Out of millions of subscribers, why should D* call you about your alledged signal strength? Think about it.

You have likely been "phished" by a third party sat marketer for whatever reason, most likely to up-sell you or get money out of you is some nefarious scheme.

In addition your "signal strength" readings, what other pertinent personal or account-specific information did you reveal? In order for anyone to be scammed, they themselves have to be willing to cooperate, if not actually participate, for some perceived personal gain.

Most scams succeed because of the 'victim's' greed -- they see an opportunity for personal gain.
Actually I think the call might be real. Many board members here have wrote about how D* has called them about low signals.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
If it was a scam, when I was called, it was very well rehearsed. The caller knew exactly what sats to have me check and what channels were on each. He refered to the last four digits of my receiver ID numbers and asked which one I used to give him my readings.

·
Icon
881 Posts
Nick said:
Apparently someone here is very gullible -- it wasn't DirecTV calling you. Out of millions of subscribers, why should D* call you about your alledged signal strength? Think about it.

You have likely been "phished" by a third party sat marketer for whatever reason, most likely to up-sell you or get money out of you is some nefarious scheme.

In addition your "signal strength" readings, what other pertinent personal or account-specific information did you reveal? In order for anyone to be scammed, they themselves have to be willing to cooperate, if not actually participate, for some perceived personal gain.

Most scams succeed because of the 'victim's' greed -- they see an opportunity for personal gain.
You make some very valid points. I was just thinking though (outside of them just guessing) how would they know what your signal strengths were?

The call does seem fairly genuine. Only DirecTV would have access to that information.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Nick said:

Are you kidding me? It's legit. Dish has been doing it for a good long time, DirecTv is starting to do it as well. The box calls in via the phone line or the network connection when it detects the signal level drops below a specified level or some other anomillie manifests itself.

There is no scam

There are no black helicopters

Time to re-line your tin foil hat. :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
I have my answering machine set up with about 8 options on a call tree and it will require at least 4 button pushes to get to (me) the csr.

After all these years, I am going to get a little pay back. :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,297 Posts
It would be nice to get confirmation from someone from D* that this is real. Maybe a mod could confirm for us. I dont believe there is anything on the site or any information that this is legit.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
Yep, Nick E* has been doing this for years, If they have the technology to figure these things out, I am sure D* does too.

·
Legend
121 Posts
JDubbs413 said:
You'll be the first one on here complaining when your signals are low and what to do. :lol: :lol: You will wish you had that courtesy call.
I installed the dish myself. I know if the signal levels or low and how to fix the problem. I'd rather be on the 'do not call list' for this service, and call in when I feel there is a problem. Save the call for someone who wants it.

And yes, I've received the call. Only once.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I would appreciate the call, especially if they are willing to come out and align it at n/c. :) Now with 5 LNB's the day of me doing my own dish alignment are over.

Yes I hate unsolicited calls and I am on the no call list, but this sounds like a good service to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.