DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if D* will be providing the Notre Dame @ Air Force game this Saturday on CSTV (610). This AP article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/06/bc.fbc.t25.notredame.tv.ap/index.html

states:
CSTV is offering its programming to cable operators for free this weekend, but not all operators are accepting. Brian Bedol, president and chief executive for CSTV, estimates that the game will be available to about 30 million to 40 million homes through cable television, DirecTV or the Dish Network.
Will D* accept the free offer? If not, does anyone know if you can subscribe to the SportsPack for a day? Is that pro-rated? Does it suddenly put you in another 1 or 2 year lock-up to subscribe one day and cancel the next?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!!

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'd assume CSTV would call their little operation a network, but I'm not sure I'd agree. The question here is whether or no D* took them up on their offer of free programming.

Actually, since you're in the mood for bashing, you may want to point out that this is also only one of 2 games all season not broadcast in HD (Navy was the other). Now the quality of that HD hasn't been all that outstanding (thanks NBC) and the quality of play hasn't been up to expectations, but that's probably for another thread.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
JoeSchueller said:
Does anyone know if D* will be providing the Notre Dame @ Air Force game this Saturday on CSTV (610). This AP article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/06/bc.fbc.t25.notredame.tv.ap/index.html

states:

Will D* accept the free offer? If not, does anyone know if you can subscribe to the SportsPack for a day? Is that pro-rated? Does it suddenly put you in another 1 or 2 year lock-up to subscribe one day and cancel the next?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!!
The way I read this, it seems aimed at CSTV getting on the many cable systems where they are not currently carried...i.e., CSTV will not charge such cable operators for making the channel available for that day. That is, the "free" is in respect to the cable company...with CSTV's idea being that once subscribers see it that one day, they will "demand" their cable company keep it.

Since CSTV is already available on D*, I don't see it having any impact.

I don't think you can subscribe to the sports pack for one day any longer, I believe there is a 30-day minimum for such changes nowadays.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the info. Just so I'm clear. You have to subscribe for the full 30 days (meaning the full $10 charge) with no pro-rating?

If so, that's fine. It's still cheaper than the $15 CSTV is charging to view it on-line.

· Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
ABC/ESPN did the same kind of thing putting the Ohio State/Indiana game on the widely viewed ESPNU network a few weeks ago. The schools or conferences must get a pretty big kick-back from the networks to allow their biggest market teams to get carried on these new College Sports Networks...

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
JoeSchueller said:
Thx for the info. Just so I'm clear. You have to subscribe for the full 30 days (meaning the full $10 charge) with no pro-rating?

If so, that's fine. It's still cheaper than the $15 CSTV is charging to view it on-line.
I don't think there is prorating, but I haven't made any "quick" changes since the time when you could sub for just a day.

Based on info in the message above, looks like DirecTV may have it in free preview mode on Saturday...so you can get the game for $0.

· Godfather
306 Posts
Larry G said:
I can't believe it. A Saturday free from network Notre Dame.
Life just won't be the same. Of course, with people on this thread considering ordering the sports pack just to get the ONE ND game NOT on network Tv, I can see that NBC is getting a good deal.

Maybe when their contract is up they can run their own ND game plan. I bet they could get $100 for that :D

· Icon
685 Posts
NBC is showing Busch League (I mean series) NASCAR instead. At least that is HD. I agree that NBC has the worst HD picture quality during the ND games of any channel I get. The sunday night NFL game looks better. $15 for a game on a computer? Wow! Expensive,

D* quoted me today $40 for 1 saturday college football with no HD. I said no thanks. HDsportsguide.com says Oregon @USC saturday is in HD on Fox Sports West but nobody carries that channel except maybe Time Warner. What channel is the ND game on?

My favorite ND play was when Reggie Bush pushed Matt Leinert across the goal line with one second to go. He hasn't done near as well with the Saints.

My HD RSN ch 94 disappeared from the program guide yesterday. They said there was nothing on that channel. No kidding. Ch 95 is still there but most games listed record just a gray screen. I want some HD RSN bad!

· Legend
115 Posts
celticpride said:
wow! you guys are great!, I was bummed out thinking i would miss this game, I sure hope D* comes through for us, A BIG THANK YOU to you guys for this information.
D* will have the CSTV free preview this weekend on channel 610. You will get to see the ND Game.

· Godfather
306 Posts
bwaldron said:
The way I read this, it seems aimed at CSTV getting on the many cable systems where they are not currently carried...i.e., CSTV will not charge such cable operators for making the channel available for that day. That is, the "free" is in respect to the cable company...with CSTV's idea being that once subscribers see it that one day, they will "demand" their cable company keep it.
I can't see anything other than that one game that would lead me to want that channel, and then, they are giving that away for free.

The one thing I would like to see is actual "college" people on college sports shows. I mean listening to a bunch of old men discuss college football on all these pre-game, post-game, and wrap-up shows has turned college football into nothing more than a glorified NFL minor league.

Let me put it this way, if you watch that game, or the wrap up, you'll probably hear all about how ND is overrrated, and they play all of the service academies this year, and those teams are weak. But you'll never hear that those 3 teams that they demolished are for the most part filled with players who will find themselves fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not *****ing about whether they get drafted by the Cards or the Raiders.

Sorry, in Eli's case that was San Diego, cuz who'd ever want to play in San Diego...that would stink.:nono2:

· Legend
125 Posts
JoeSchueller said:

i just droped that along with a few outher packs and everything got prorated, and wasent charged the 10 fee, i think that they use that as a scare tactic to keep you from doing it. of course as im typing this, it could be getting charged to my act. but directv.com dident show it.

· Legend/Supporter
967 Posts
Well darn, I guess I left one of my tuners on CSTV from yesterday and after switching back to HBO, it was still working. I was hoping it had been moved to the total choice plus, but I guess not. I switch back and forth between HBO and the sports pack and so far no charge for doing so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.