DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've copied over the known issues from the last update. They will be removed from the list or labeled as "fixed" if verified as fixed (although it is believed that this release is only laying groundwork for future stability, so probably none of these will be able to be removed). Not sure which is better (removal or labeling). Any thoughts?

Severe:
  • Periodic freezes (no response to remote or front panel, miss scheduled recordings) requiring reset (in worst cases, should be fixed by a destructive, complete reset).
  • Sometimes fails to record when it should.
  • Deletion of wrong show when deleted from MyVod list
  • Shows deleted during playback if KAM is exceeded
  • 1st part of show lost if you reset or have a power loss. Note: this also happens on a completed recording if it happens to still be in the live buffer
  • Acting like there's only one tuner, fixed by reset.
  • Unplayable recording (attempting to play it reverts to live TV). At least once a reset resulted in deleting the recording.

Serious:
  • Limits. Limits. Limits.
  • The black screen freeze during playback that doesn't require a reset but does require the Prev/Prev or Pause/Play or ??? to restart
  • Loss of transport controls (FF, RW, etc.) requiring reset.
  • Some keyword searches have been known to freeze the box (e.g. "SE", "HER") requiring reset.
  • Spontaneously changes channel.

Moderate:
  • History is worthless (no reason for why something was "cancelled", shouldn't waste space on things "recorded"--wait until they're "deleted" to notate them in history, etc.)
  • Inability to setup SLs on multiple channels.
  • Can't distinguish between first-run and repeats
  • Inconsistant conflict resolution.
  • For some people, caller ID just doesn't work.
  • Search problems: initial article (a, an, the), punctuation (MI-5), only searches phrases, etc.
  • Channels I receive not right (so autorecord find records unsubscribed channels)
  • Control bar freezes and does not mark where you are in a program, resulting in returning to the wrong place in a program if you stop viewing
  • Pressing "record" during live TV doesn't always capture buffer (instead begins recording from that point). Verification needed

Annoyances:
  • Periodic false "unknown number" caller ID notification.
  • Parodoxical messages ("this episode was/will be recorded" on details for episodes that weren't/won't be recorded").
  • Loss of guide data on reset or power outage.
  • Overall slowness with lots of SLs and/or lots of recordings.
  • No audible or visual feedback for operations that sometimes take a long time.
  • Searching for Signal Message while watching a recorded program.
  • Items improperly grouped in MyVod
  • UI inconsistencies (no mark and delete in to do list, record button doesn't work everywhere to schedule a recording, etc.)
  • No original air date
  • Watching an in-progress recording from MyVOD: it just continues on into the live buffer at the end of the recording (doesn't ask about deleting the recording).
  • Jump back inconsistent (not always six seconds). Possibly fixed (four seconds).
  • Sometimes get Guided Setup on reset.
  • Playback is jumpy following jump back.
  • Status bar really screwy for some recordings (e.g. a 30 minute show looks like a 20 hour recording, but you're only allowed to watch from 19:30 to 20:00).

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
As I said in the release notes, this is the first part of a two part release.
None of the above issues are "addressed" with the first part (E8).

Also, I would like to keep it as ONE thread, instead of having multiple.

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With all due respect, maybe mine is the one that should be the one thread, since I keep the initial post constantly updated. It's really annoying to have to read 20 pages to see if the issue you just saw is unique.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Okay...

Then the only recommendation I have, is remove the "spoilizer" part.
Just list them, and you could put a Green "fixed" or something in the front of the problem (or after).

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Earl,

I thought you previously indicated that the R-15 allows you to watch previously recorded programs while two shows are recording. I tried to watch VOD programs the other night while both tuners were recording and it wouldn't allow me to do so - kept telling me that Boston Legal was recording and if I went to VOD it would stop.

Is this a bug in my machine or is this a known problem?

Thanks!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
suzannew said:
Earl,

I thought you previously indicated that the R-15 allows you to watch previously recorded programs while two shows are recording. I tried to watch VOD programs the other night while both tuners were recording and it wouldn't allow me to do so - kept telling me that Boston Legal was recording and if I went to VOD it would stop.

Is this a bug in my machine or is this a known problem?

Thanks!
It most certainly should allow you to watch a previously recorded program, while recording two.

How where you getting into MyVOD? List Button? Quick Menu?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
suzannew said:
List Button
When you have a chance, I would try rebooting... as it most certainly should let you watch one while recording two.

· Godfather
250 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It most certainly should allow you to watch a previously recorded program, while recording two.

How where you getting into MyVOD? List Button? Quick Menu?
Wasn't there a known issue (heck, I think it was even in manual!!) about not being able to watch something during manual records? Or something like that? Or am I off my rocker?

(don't know if the poster WAS doing manual records or not...but she jogged some inkling of a memory loose in head.....)

· Banned
4,642 Posts
I was testing the Jump Back yesterday during football against the running clock. It does seem to be a constant 4 seconds. But now the playback is jumpy once it backs up.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
wohlfie said:
Wasn't there a known issue (heck, I think it was even in manual!!) about not being able to watch something during manual records? Or something like that? Or am I off my rocker?

(don't know if the poster WAS doing manual records or not...but she jogged some inkling of a memory loose in head.....)
Yes... Manual records in the sense that you set to records, for specific channels and times.

Channel 2 from 3:03 to 3:17
Channel 3 from 3:05 to 3:32

For what ever reason during that, you can't watch another one.

· Godfather
250 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Yes... Manual records in the sense that you set to records, for specific channels and times.

So if one of her two recordings were a manual record, that would explain why she couldn't watch a previous recording from MyVOD? Or am I misundertsanding?

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wolffpack said:
I was testing the Jump Back yesterday during football against the running clock. It does seem to be a constant 4 seconds. But now the playback is jumpy once it backs up.
I've seen this on mine, and I'm still backlevel, so I've added it, but not as a new issue.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
wohlfie said:
So if one of her two recordings were a manual record, that would explain why she couldn't watch a previous recording from MyVOD? Or am I misundertsanding?
I've never tried it with one...

But I think the problem with the dual Manuals, was that you could watch either of the recordings when they where going.

But you could still watch something from MyVod

· Godfather
501 Posts
Earl, how come there isn't an entry for annoyances for slow responding box.. I sware this thing is super slow one minute mostely for football and other times it's quick...

Overall though for being the year 2006, the thing is freaking slow to respond! My buddies tivo flys thru menus.

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
saleen351 said:
Earl, how come there isn't an entry for annoyances for slow responding box.. I sware this thing is super slow one minute mostely for football and other times it's quick...

Overall though for being the year 2006, the thing is freaking slow to respond! My buddies tivo flys thru menus.
It's in there. In fact, it was one of my original issues I "primed the pump" with when I started this thread concept (on the last software version).

And quit calling me Earl :D

· Godfather
385 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Well, I just tried it, and I COULD watch something from MyVOD while two manual records were running.

I set up two manual records. Ch 375 11:25a to 11:35a, Ch 376 11:25a to 11:29a (had to do that because another recording was going to start at 11:29a) I did all that from about 11:23a to 11:24a.

A few seconds after 11:25a I got a dark blue screen regarding the two recordings that started at 11:25a, something to the effect that I had two recordings going, and I could return to live TV when they finished, blah, blah, blah, or I could cancel one of them, and there were options to do such.

I could see how one might think that the only choices one had were to "just sit there" (or go to Home Depot?), and wait for the recordings to finish, or cancel one of them. I chose to ignore that seeming "wall". Instead, I pressed "List", brought up MYVOD, and selected a show to watch (not one of the two that were recording). It started playing. As soon as it started playing I pressed "List" again to verify that the two short manual records I had set up were still recording. They were.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
walters said:
And quit calling me Earl :D
They could call you worse?
Gosh knows I have been called worse :)

· Banned
4,253 Posts
are dual buffers coming? the ability to have SL's for the same show on multiple channels? the end of limits? Faster remote response time? Active USB's? When the us's are on will the R15 be able to read "Flash Discs"?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.