DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a new R-15 100 as a replacement for my dead DTivo.

So far it's worked with no issues (about two weeks), but yesterday it just decided to reboot twice for no apparent reason.

The software version is listed as 1022, which is the "original" version. Is there an update for this device, and, if so, how come it hasn't been pushed to mine? I tried to find this info in the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to be there anywhere.

Lee
Redmond, WA

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
There has not yet been an update for the 100 since it's so new.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Lee,

I am having the same issue - almost exactly! I had a Samsung TiVo based DVR that I really liked. But, it died on me recently, and DirecTV sold me a R15-100. It has been installed for about three days, and I already am having issues with it.

Besides the clunky (not pretty like the TiVo) interface, it seems to re-start itself at times without explanation.

Also, I have very little guide data. Tech support has tried to troubleshoot the problem, but I still don't have complete guide data. Most channels past one day from now are showing up as "To Be Announced" in my guide.

Ugh! This thing is driving me crazy.

One quick question - when an update is released, how will I know? Will the machine just download it and install it? Will it signal me, somehow? (OK, I guess that's three questions...)

Regards,

Doug

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
If it's restarting itself periodically, that's why you don't have guide data. Tech support should know that the R15 stores its guide data in RAM.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
dbilski said:
One quick question - when an update is released, how will I know? Will the machine just download it and install it? Will it signal me, somehow? (OK, I guess that's three questions...)
Unless you're watching when it happens or unless they make drastic changes you won't even know. It will just happen.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
walters said:
If it's restarting itself periodically, that's why you don't have guide data. Tech support should know that the R15 stores its guide data in RAM.
He must have talked to the same tech that told you to watch things instead of record them :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
cabanaboy1977 said:
He must have talked to the same tech that told you to watch things instead of record them :)
For the record, I didn't get that quote firsthand. I know better than to call DirecTV support for anything. It was something someone posted here (which of course may or may not have ever been said, but I liked the idea of it being said enough to make it my signature).

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
walters said:
For the record, I didn't get that quote firsthand. I know better than to call DirecTV support for anything. It was something someone posted here (which of course may or may not have ever been said, but I liked the idea of it being said enough to make it my signature).
Sorry I thought it was you. I was wondering why you had anonymous DirecTV CSR when that person had put there name in the thread. BTW it makes me smile every time I read that quote :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
dbilski said:

Regards,

Doug
Assuming you've created a custom favorites list, if you suddenly find it back on the default that would be an indication that you got the update.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
dbilski said:
Besides the clunky (not pretty like the TiVo) interface
I must not have had a Tivo long enough, because I feel like I'm the only person here that disagrees with that statement!

I had the HR10 and I HATED it. The UI and guide were slower than slow, it had too much flash and not enough substance, I had click what seemed like 10 buttons to get it to record, etc.

Not a personal attack on you Doug, don't take me wrong. I just didn't understand the love affair with Tivo. I only had it a couple months, so I guess I never got used to it. I like the R15/HR20 UI MUCH more.

*Disclaimer* I learned dvr on the R15, and I had the R15, an H10 and a D11 before I for the HR10. This is probably why I never warmed up to the HR10, I was quite used to the UI on the D* models by the time I got the Tivo.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did in fact like my Tivo, but mostly because it just worked.

I don't have anything against the R-15 UI. It's taken a little getting used to, but I like some of the features, and, until it decided to start restarting itself, I didn't have any real issues with it.

I don't think Tivo is the be-all and end-all. I just want a DVR that does most things I want to do, and does them reliably.

Lee

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Thank you to all of you for your helpful suggestions!

Mike - my disclaimer is the opposite. The Samsung TiVo unit was my first DVR, and I just got really used to it. Let me wax poetic here for a second...

I really loved the feature that kicked you back a few seconds after you hit the play button to end fast forwarding through a recorded show. You could just wait until you saw the start of the show (like after a commercial break) and then hit play. Instead of picking up right where you hit play, it would jump back several seconds (the exact number depended on what speed you were going) to put you where you wanted to be! I thought that was ingenious! My R15 doesn't seem to do that - am I right?

I totally acknowledge that part of my issue is not having gotten used to the R15 yet - there are things I'm just not sure how to do, I guess. Like - I don' t know how to switch between tuners - like on the TiVo hitting the "Live TV" button jumped me between the two different input sources. Just stuff like that.

If the unit will stop randomly freezing and resetting itself, I may get the opportunity to change my mind about it! :lol:

Thanks again - I'm SO glad I found this board!

Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.