DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so we have Dish Network currently, and I Have a install coming this week, I have a Dish 500 up on the roof, with a Dish 300 attatched to the same pole (its a custom job, as I dont want Holes punched all through my roof) when I did it I put struts up...now my question is this, I found a piece of Fence Post that is 2 inch Outside Diameter...I have cut it and will slide it over the 1 5/8 pole that is there now, and put two lag bolts through it so in no way can it spin....This is the only spot on the roof that will get sat service, and again I cant really have my Roof poked holes in it as I am just a renter...has anyone ever done this before? does it work? is there anything else I need to do? and the big question do you think the installer will go for this? I figure it will save him time as all he has to do then is slip on the dish (I know its not that easy, but it does cut corners) I will sign off on it as that is the way I want it, but what do you guys think?

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NYCEGUY01 said:
As long as the current mount is strong and secure it will be fine.

Without seeing your home line of sight will be the only real question.
Current mount is very strong secre, and plumb....also line of sight is a problem for dish network (119 is flaky because of trees) 110, and to the left is open and should be good.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Wrap the old pipe with tape until you get a snug slip-fit. A tiny amount of wobble at the mast is a huge amount of aiming error in the sky.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
As others mentioned....you are good go.

The trick I would ad is to use one or two pieces of ground wire inside the larger pipe as a shim. When you force the smaller pipe inside it will tighten up evenly.
A through bolt or self tapping screws couldn't hurt. You want a plumb pipe with zero movement.

Joe

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah we put 5-7 holes in the Fence post, and will use self tapers to get through the other mast (that is how nice this post works, its really thick) but we were thinking and pre drilled holes in the mast, now my final question....Does the Au9 have a collar that they put over the 2" pole? what I mean is there is a Flat part that the dish sits on and rotates on...is that on a collar, so all they need is the 2" pole right?

· Godfather
499 Posts
madisonjar said:
yeah we put 5-7 holes in the Fence post, and will use self tapers to get through the other mast (that is how nice this post works, its really thick) but we were thinking and pre drilled holes in the mast, now my final question....Does the Au9 have a collar that they put over the 2" pole? what I mean is there is a Flat part that the dish sits on and rotates on...is that on a collar, so all they need is the 2" pole right?
Yes, the dish mount sits "on top of" the 2" pole. There is a flat plate that contacts the pipe on which the dish rotates as you adjust azimuth. Try to cut it square.

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2dogz said:
Yes, the dish mount sits "on top of" the 2" pole. It's important that the top of the pipe be cut square, or the whole "plumb" thing can get messed up.
perfect thats what I needed, now I will have to sand it down smooth to make sure its cut just right as right now, its not perfect, its good, just not perfect.

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright I am all set for tomorow, I Really hope this works! I just checked with the landlord and he said no more Sat mounts, so its either this or nothing...I really want to get directv up and running, you dont think a installer would just cancel on me when he sees what I want to do, do you? If anything I am saving him time right?

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
madisonjar said:
alright I am all set for tomorow, I Really hope this works! I just checked with the landlord and he said no more Sat mounts, so its either this or nothing...I really want to get directv up and running, you dont think a installer would just cancel on me when he sees what I want to do, do you? If anything I am saving him time right?
Exactly,
You should be good. Don't worry about the top of the pipe. The dish has three bolts that clamp the pipe to support the weight. You got this part down. Arrange access to the back of the TVs and wait for picture.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.