DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get this -- I just agreed to come back to D* after several years due to a good deal retention is giving me. When I went to schedule it, I was told that they can;t schedule anything in January for me, and that the local installer will have to call me to schedule. All they had open was 12/30 (which won't work for me because of other projects I have going). Does anyone know a way I can get them to just schedule me for an install around the end of January? Is there a way to get the local installer number?

For what it's worth, I'm in Harrisburg PA.

Erik

· Registered
5,747 Posts
WHen I had to have a couple of jobs done by D* I was able to get the national 1800# who then was able able to give me the number of the local installer/sub. I beleive many other people her have been able to do the same thing.

I don't know if this will work for you since you just signed up again. But many people have also posted stating that if you log onto D* site you can schedule your own install dat and many times it is sooner than what the CSR over the phone was able to do.

· Godfather
438 Posts
1) Call Customer Installation Support: 888-355-7530
2) Ask them for the # to the Home Service Provider (HSP) who manages the installers for your area, and the 6 digit work order # they will be using.
3) Call the HSP, and get the local office #
4) Call them and plead your case. If they don't have the manpower, Directv agents can push all the buttons they like, but it won't change the local situation.
5) See if they can make an exception for you...

So what are you getting installed? is the house already wired? Where is the dish going to go? If it is a simple install, they may be able to help you earlier then they realized.

· Legend
139 Posts
Upgrade or Install?

Most offices don't have calenders built for upgrades until the 2nd week of January [per DirecTV].

Check back Jan 2nd, and you may be in for a pleasant surprise...

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
There is also a marginal chance... I am just throwing it out there as an idea on why....

Being that it is the end of the year... DirecTV's contract with your local installer company may be ending... and they haven't secured a new contract for 2007

· Godfather
345 Posts
I'm getting a 5 LNB dish, HR20 and R15 installed on January 7th. A Sunday no less. I'm in Greensboro, NC. There is somebody in the avsforums Greensboro, NC local thread that is getting a HR20 on January 4th.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news -- Ironwood called me today because they saw me listed for an install tomorrow, but no time was listed. I was able to talk to the local installer and he now has me down for the date/time I wanted.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Erik

· Cool Member
24 Posts
I ordered a HR20 via D* website but it would not set up an install date. I called and they said the earliest would be Feb. 23, 2007...a full two months after placing the order!! Is this normal/acceptable?? :confused:

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
With this Christmas season and all the new HDTVs, I'm sure they are seeing a larger volume of HR20 installs. However, two months is a bit excessive. If you get the work order set up, get the number of the installer and talk to them about a faster install date. I think D*s scheduling software grabs a date that IT shows as available (based on what criteria, I don't know).

I've seen a few posts on here where D* comes up with an install date, but once the customer calls the local installer, there is usually something sooner. I'd try to give that a try.

· Legend
245 Posts
I called Dec 22 to get an HR20-700 and am getting it installed on the 6th of January (a Saturday). It must have something to do with your location...

· AllStar
63 Posts
I have been reading these forums, and some others. Originally it was to learn more about the Pandora's box I'd opened (read: getting HDTV purchased and HD installed by Christmas as a family gift). Eventually I decided to post and contribute.

I have been a customer of D* for nearly (10) years. I ordered equipment upgrade late November. Like some other posters, no install call back. I phoned mid-December and had install scheduled for before Christmas. D* install canceled (postponed to mid-January '07) with less than 48 hours before my slot. I was told the equipment was unavailable.

I have been offered two credits since mid-December, to which I said nyet (since it diminishes my argument and it's hardware and service I want, not credits I can't use). In my opinion, having heard as much from an Install Supervisor, they (D*) were scheduling installs though they knew there wasn't product in the pipeline to make good.

The local BB had receivers and DVRs in stock. It seemed reasonable under the circumstances to buy from a box-store and get a credit from provider. I asked to provide my own receiver, since this was the equipment on back-order to installers. No joy.

With this bidness practice, like an airline over-booking, the companies (probably all of them) were locking in customers as the wave of new HDTVs purchased over the Holidays needed installation. All the CSRs I spoke with were apologetic (except for the Install Sooper), but no one could help.

This is not posted to bash, just relate the facts, since for every poster here, or on the other HD forums, there are prolly hundreds or thousands in the same situation. Having had a week to consider, I sent off a hard copy letter to D* today by certified with return (NY resolution).

So, that's last years issue for me. Next year I'll find a service to deliver HD to my shiny new HDTV.

HNY alles,
etchasketch

ps - since this is a TV forum: it reminds me of the Seinfeld rent-a-car episode. They know how to take the reservation ... just aren't very good at keeping the reservation ;0)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.