DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Doug Brott said:
There are a number of gaming adapters (or wireless bridges) that work with the DIRECTV HD DVRs. It is doubtful if DIRECTV will ever have internal wireless support.
A LOT of notebooks are coming with built in wireless "n" product. It could be something to consider if it can be justifiable cost. It could be just the thing that is needed in the entertainment cabinent to get all devices to a wireless hook-up.

· Hall Of Fame
1,548 Posts
Since they are doing everything they can to make HDDVRs more affordable, ie removing OTA in the HR21, I can't see this happening. But, a great idea for those of us here I must admit. I would love for wireless to be built in.

· Icon
810 Posts
SDizzle said:
Since they are doing everything they can to make HDDVRs more affordable, ie removing OTA in the HR21, I can't see this happening.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there.

It doesn't make sense (manufacturing cost, licensing cost, software development cost, support cost) to build in something that won't be universally used. A lot of "N" equipment has problems coexisting with earlier B and G stuff - for that reason alone I wouldn't want to see this happen....

· AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SDizzle said:
Since they are doing everything they can to make HDDVRs more affordable, ie removing OTA in the HR21, I can't see this happening. But, a great idea for those of us here I must admit. I would love for wireless to be built in.
it would only add a few dollars if it where in all of them,adapters cost about a 100 bucks,most people with hr would love easy networking.because i think most people with networks find it difficult to run a wire ,if netflix can offer there streaming box with wireless built in for only 99 bucks,maybe d can too,soon i belive everthing will be wireless.i just playing around with an idea that d should think about

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
I actually went from wireless on a couple of things to wired because the through put was just not good enough and wireless is less reliable. The only things I have left that are wireless are my laptops and that is because they are mobile. Anything fixed, I now wire. Fewer problems, faster rates.

That being said, it would be nice if DirecTV had better wireless ability than they do. Putting the wireless in the box? Not really needed but having a plug and play adapter like Tivo does would be nice (I never really got the gaming bridge to work right.)

As for the Netxlix Roku box, of course it would have network conductivity options built it. The box exists for only one thing....streaming programming from the internet. The HR2X boxes, internet connectivity is not a must. It is an option.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
To me, a builtin wireless internet adds cost, complexity, and more problems than the value for some people. All my HR2x are wired and I get better results to wired computers than the wireless ones. (Using 802.11g).

I'm more inclined to see the value in the upcoming wireless HDMI standards for getting the HD signals to the TV/AV receiver. Imagine an easy connection to a wall mounted flat screen without wires. (Or a ceiling mounted projector.) :)

Since the marketplace hasn't standardized on a particular standard yet, I don't see this in a DIRECTV receiver for a few more years. (Sniff) :)

Cheers,
Tom

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Tom is right on target. DIRECTV gives you a full set of standard connectors for video, audio and networking, and this gives the high-end user a lot of flexibility. Building everything in makes it more likely to become obsolete.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
As I think about what I said, there is on possible ambiguity to clear up. Why do I suggest a wireless to the TV but not to the Internet? :)

My feeling is that TCP/IP wireless is typically served from central point in the house that is convenient for an access point, but not likely near the DVR(s) in the house. And as more and more items go wireless, the access point's limited bandwidth (shared with all the wireless items) will greatly affect video performance streaming thru 802.11(g/n).

On the other hand, WiHD and WHDMI, are designed around a specific hi bandwidth connection close by. Less competition, less interference from microwave ovens between sender and receiver, etc.

Cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
One alternative would be to do something like Gateway did with their “Connected DVD Player”. Instead of building the network connection into the box, the Connected DVD just had a PC Card slot. The customer would then choose either a wired or wireless card to go with it. Of course these days, the electronics for a PC Card or other bus interface are probably not much less than a wired Ethernet port. And like Doug said, so many wireless bridges are already available, so why bother?

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Doug Brott said:
There are a number of gaming adapters (or wireless bridges) that work with the DIRECTV HD DVRs. It is doubtful if DIRECTV will ever have internal wireless support.
However unlikely it is, it would be pretty cool.

The Problem: Those who don't want or need that feature will not be happy with the price increase. I myself have no need for such a feature since my entire house is wired and GB. I would rather not pay extra for a box that has WiFi built in.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
However unlikely it is, it would be pretty cool.

The Problem: Those who don't want or need that feature will not be happy with the price increase. I myself have no need for such a feature since my entire house is wired and GB. I would rather not pay extra for a box that has WiFi built in.
There are certainly some potential benefits to this .. Particularly if chip prices and any licensing fees are significantly minimal. However, there will always be a need for a wired solution .. be it USB, Ethernet or something else. The downside, of course, is if DIRECTV heavily favors the 'n' technology and then find that we've moved on to the 'v' technology :shrug: It could happen of course, but I find it very doubtful.

· Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
dbmaven said:
I think you hit the nail on the head right there.

It doesn't make sense (manufacturing cost, licensing cost, software development cost, support cost) to build in something that won't be universally used. A lot of "N" equipment has problems coexisting with earlier B and G stuff - for that reason alone I wouldn't want to see this happen....
Not to mention coexisting with other brands of N devices. have had issues connecting and keeping a stable connection on devices not manufacturered by the same company, and even newer devices with older devices of the same brand

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.