DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good prescription. I am having problems with birds making nests between my dish and the LNB arm. It's darn frustrating to have to keep climbing up on the roof every couple of months to clear the mess. I'm also concerned the acidic feces may damage the sensitive components. Ideas?:confused: :eek2:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Other then moving dish lower where you can get to it easier.

Not much else you can do.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PoitNarf said:
Put one of those owl decoys next to the dish.
I might try this - suppose it works? I think the WAF might be low on this one.

Our neighborhood has HUGE black birds. They would probably eat the owl - they are mean as sh*!

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
WANDERER said:
Does anyone have a good prescription. I am having problems with birds making nests between my dish and the LNB arm. It's darn frustrating to have to keep climbing up on the roof every couple of months to clear the mess. I'm also concerned the acidic feces may damage the sensitive components. Ideas?:confused: :eek2:
Try an M-80. Just kidding!

·
Banned
614 Posts
WANDERER said:
I might try this - suppose it works? I think the WAF might be low on this one.

Our neighborhood has HUGE black birds. They would probably eat the owl - they are mean as sh*!
The crows are pesky.:grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I've seen the decoy owls on quite a few billboards.. but those would pale in comparison the the great horned owl that lives in the woods across the street.. he's huge!

Beautiful Plumage!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
527 Posts
Be careful with covers. If it doesn't completely encase the dish and a bird can get in underneath, it will treat the thing like a bird house and you won't know it. Birds love nesting in places out of sight and hard for larger critters to get into.

·
Icon
770 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Put one of those owl decoys next to the dish.
I live in San Diego and I'm a sailor, so I spend a lot of time at marinas. Boats that have the decoy owls have as much birdsh*t on them as boats without. The most effective thing for sailboats seems to be to hang some old CDs on the boat spreaders. The highly reflective CDs spin and move in the wind and keeps birds away. It might work for your dish.

The other thing would be to mount some type of spike strip on the LNB arm. Try pounding some 1-1/2" nails through a 1x2 and then wiretie it to the LNB arm.

·
Legend
139 Posts
WANDERER said:
I've heard wrapping the lnbs completely in tin foil keeps the birds away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.