DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I seeing things correctly, that DOD is only available to those w/ HD-DVR's? I was contemplating finally setting up my upstairs DVR to get DOD, but from what I am seeing, it won't work. Just want to make sure I am not misreading things.
Thanks

·
Godfather
291 Posts
Call D* and ask them to do a courtesy upgrade on the R15. I just did. They're sending me an R22. Why wait? The R22 is just a 'limited' software release in an HR chassis anyway.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Or why continue with SD hardware, why not upgrade to HD hardware? You can connect the HD boxes to standard definition TV's via either composite or S-Video connections and the HD picture will look much better even on a SD TV. The down sides of course if the extra $100 for the HD DVR and the extra $9.99 HD access fee, but it's something you might want to think about.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
sr6376 said:
Ok, thanks. I have an R15 so I'll just wait until I upgrade to the HD-DVR someday.
Well here's why you may not want to wait.The R22 has access to VOD,mediashare,200 hour SD recording time.30 second skip,a guide with more information and first air date.It also updates recordings for first runs very well.Also we hope that in the future DirecTV will be able to change the R22 to an HR21 with the flip of a switch for all those SD viewers that convert to HD.;)

·
Godfather
291 Posts
ANd the R22 was free. The HR wasn't.

·
Legend
139 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Well here's why you may not want to wait.The R22 has access to VOD,mediashare,200 hour SD recording time.30 second skip,a guide with more information and first air date.It also updates recordings for first runs very well.Also we hope that in the future DirecTV will be able to change the R22 to an HR21 with the flip of a switch for all those SD viewers that convert to HD.;)
Have you ditched your R15? Just curious...

·
Godfather
291 Posts
I still have it, but it sits idle. Isn't even hooked up. I hated the R15. Went back to my Phillips DSR708's because two R15's(and all of their recordings) died on us. Twice. I just don't trust them.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
red.bean.head said:
Have you ditched your R15? Just curious...
Yes.I only have one TV and I was running the R15-500 and the R22-100.So i got a wild hair and bought a used HR10-250.The very next day the Tivo getting back with DirecTV is published talk about Deja vu.Anyways didn't have much against the R15 besides the guide not having first air date and I believe that was why it wouldn't do updates for first runs good in series links.I did like you could pause the live buffer in the R15 and the live buffer would expand and the guide speed was fast.:)

Anyways I kept hearing about this Tivo love and since I never had a DirecTivo thought I would find out for myself.So far it's an interesting format.;)

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jhon69 said:
I have nothing but HDTV's in the house, I just refuse to purchase more HD boxes at $200 a pop. My contract is up in December and at that time I'll see what deal they will give me for two HD-DVR's. Then I'll be able to swap out my one H21 w/ a DVR, put the H21 in the kitchen and get the second HD DVR for the bedroom.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,976 Posts
sr6376 said:
I have nothing but HDTV's in the house, I just refuse to purchase more HD boxes at $200 a pop. My contract is up in December and at that time I'll see what deal they will give me for two HD-DVR's. Then I'll be able to swap out my one H21 w/ a DVR, put the H21 in the kitchen and get the second HD DVR for the bedroom.
Why dont you go online to your account and click on add reciever just to see what price they are offering you the DVR's?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
joshjr said:
Why dont you go online to your account and click on add reciever just to see what price they are offering you the DVR's?
Yeah, most of the time it will give you the same offer the agent will offer you. isnt best buy still giving the HR21 at 169? i have to check that out.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,976 Posts
turey22 said:
just confirmed it myself, yeah they are so that will be cheaper that 199.
The HR22 for $199 at Best Buy is worth it for the extra Hard Drive space.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
sr6376 said:
This is the best time to try and get what you want(when your out of contract).;)

·
Legend
139 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Yes.I only have one TV and I was running the R15-500 and the R22-100.So i got a wild hair and bought a used HR10-250.The very next day the Tivo getting back with DirecTV is published talk about Deja vu.Anyways didn't have much against the R15 besides the guide not having first air date and I believe that was why it wouldn't do updates for first runs good in series links.I did like you could pause the live buffer in the R15 and the live buffer would expand and the guide speed was fast.:)

Anyways I kept hearing about this Tivo love and since I never had a DirecTivo thought I would find out for myself.So far it's an interesting format.;)
I have the HR10-250 in my bedroom. It was a good box but really slow & since it is only MPEG2 the HD choices are slim now since most are now MPEG4. I have noted that it reboots almost everynight at least twice around 10pm PT. Not sure what is up with it. I still have my R15's (Kids rooms) & HR21's (Living Room/Family Room/Garage) as well. All have been ok too. The expanded HD channels that the HR can receive is really cool though & it is faster than the Tivo unit. Anyhow, just curious as I have not seen you post much in the R15 area. Take care...

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
red.bean.head said:
I have the HR10-250 in my bedroom. It was a good box but really slow & since it is only MPEG2 the HD choices are slim now since most are now MPEG4. I have noted that it reboots almost everynight at least twice around 10pm PT. Not sure what is up with it. I still have my R15's (Kids rooms) & HR21's (Living Room/Family Room/Garage) as well. All have been ok too. The expanded HD channels that the HR can receive is really cool though & it is faster than the Tivo unit. Anyhow, just curious as I have not seen you post much in the R15 area. Take care...
Ya that's the reason why.I didn't do my homework cause when i activated the HR10-250 I got stuck paying the HD Access fee(I'm going to use the HR10-250 for SD) no matter I'll just cancel it after all the MPEG2 HD channels are gone.I have noticed when I turned off the sound effects I can scroll thru the guide faster.Keeping mine hooked up to a phone line running 6.3f.The DirecTivo guide doesn't have first air date but then the R15 doesn't either.

The R22-100 has me spoiled(first air date) plus all the other features.You take care too.:)

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Well here's why you may not want to wait.The R22 has access to VOD,mediashare,200 hour SD recording time.30 second skip,a guide with more information and first air date.
150 Hours SD recording time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.