Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

If I’m a subscriber, can I tell D* to stop calling our house every 2 months trying to sell one of their premium packages? I’ve grown tired of them calling and how rude they can be when I decline their offer. Last week I tried to ask them to stop the sales calls, but the guy hung up on me when I told him I wasn’t interested. It wasn’t worth my time to call back, but I’m just wondering if anyone else has requested them to stop the calls.

Thanks.

·
Icon
832 Posts
I don't recall ever being called by D* but I have one of the bigger packages so there's not much to sell me. :D Wish they'd call and make me an offer to upgrade some of my equipment though. Calling retention so far hasn't gotten me much and I'm a bit spooked by the initial HR20 problems and certainly don't want one until OTA is enabled.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonscott87 said:
Like any other business, ask to be put on their "do not call list".
That's what I'll try next time around. I just didn't know if there was some loophole because I'm an existing customer. I actually didn't mind being called and listening to their offers, but when they started being rude about it is when I got fed up.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Technically, they can get around the National Do Not Call list due to the fact that you have a pre-existing relationship with them. Under the same legislation though, if you ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list, they are required to do so.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wipeout said:
Does this type of call come up as O.S.I. on your Caller ID when they call? I have been getting these rude calls as well.
For us it usually displays as 'Out of area' which is always a tip-off that it's some type of telemarketing call. I have never seen it display as 'DirecTv'.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
JLucPicard said:
Technically, they can get around the National Do Not Call list due to the fact that you have a pre-existing relationship with them. Under the same legislation though, if you ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list, they are required to do so.
:imwith:

·
Banned
614 Posts
keeferb said:
Hey all,

If I'm a subscriber, can I tell D* to stop calling our house every 2 months trying to sell one of their premium packages? I've grown tired of them calling and how rude they can be when I decline their offer. Last week I tried to ask them to stop the sales calls, but the guy hung up on me when I told him I wasn't interested. It wasn't worth my time to call back, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has requested them to stop the calls.

Thanks.
You can login online to DirecTV and set your preferences.

·
Banned
614 Posts
keeferb said:
If you are referring to the 'Interests' checkboxes on the Preferences page, I don't have anything checked so that doesn't seem to matter.
I've never been contacted by DirecTV for a sales call. Make sure you log the caller id info from the caller. Otherwise I suggest calling them by phone and telling them you don't want calls.

·
Icon
914 Posts
http://www.DoNotCall.gov

That's the do not call list. Put your number on it, the calls will stop in a month or two. Put your cell phones on too. I've done my whole family.

Then there is https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ which will stop many of the credit card offers comming to your mail box. We did the lifetime opt out. Lifetime does require you to print, sign and mail something though.

Some companies are getting smart though, they get independent consultants to dial the numbers from home selling stuff, this way the person at home is selling over the phone and not the company, so they are not liable for do not call list violations. If you are wondering, some of those get rich quick schemes are exactly that, you do cold calls to sell things and they have you use your phone book as a call list.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Just get caller ID and an answering machine.

Don't answer calls you don't want.

I haven't talked to a telemarketer in years.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
AlbertZerok,

The National Do Not Call list does not need to be followed by companies with which you have a previous (or current) relationship. I am signed up on the National and State do not call lists (have been for years) and I still occasionally get calls from people I had dealings with in the past.

At that point, I ask them to add me to THEIR Do Not Call list and they are required to honor that.

·
Icon
914 Posts
that is correct. The do not call list is not applicable if you have previous dealings with the company. It's also not applicable to charities and political parties. I also think survey companies are exempt, but not 100%.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.