DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Cool Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New customer to D* Stream. Have reset Stream as well as remote, attempted to configure automatically and manually, to no avail. Stream remote will control volume and mute, just not ON nor OFF for TV. Tech support said they don't support LG and no ETA for a fix? Find this a little hard to believe since LG appears as one of the brand choices and isn't exactly an "off" brand.. Any ideas? Not a big problem as the original remote for the TV works fine, just a pain having to use two remotes.

· Godfather
2,154 Posts
New customer to D* Stream. Have reset Stream as well as remote, attempted to configure automatically and manually, to no avail. Stream remote will control volume and mute, just not ON nor OFF for TV. Tech support said they don't support LG and no ETA for a fix? Find this a little hard to believe since LG appears as one of the brand choices and isn't exactly an "off" brand.. Any ideas? Not a big problem as the original remote for the TV works fine, just a pain having to use two remotes.
Is there more than one set of codes for LG? If so try the others.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,539 Posts
LG apparently uses a combination of IR and Bluetooth in the Magic Remotes so they are particularly difficult to emulate. For this reason, I consider LG to blame for their "hybrid" approach to remote control. It is also notable that Magic Remotes aren't compatible across the the LG product lines that feature Magic Remotes so they've got that going against them as well in terms of third party support.

The DIRECTV STREAM official support forum has a thread about the same problem with Samsung TVs and one of the posters mentions that ON/OFF support might be enabled deeper in the remote configuration menu tree. See the last post:

Unfortunately HDMI-CEC typically doesn't work for turning TVs off or I might recommend that.

It is entirely possible that the remote system that is used in the DIRECTV STREAM Device just isn't up to the task and a more advanced universal remote may be required.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,539 Posts
HDMI-CEC works for turning on/off my 4 LG TV's using either the Apple TV remote or my Amazon Fire TV Cube remote.
Your data point is very helpful. If it is implemented similarly in the DIRECTV STREAM Device then this may well be an option.

· Registered
2,550 Posts
On the C71KW DirecTV Stream Box go to System, Remotes and Devices, Program your Remote, and you will have setting for Advanced Remote Programming. Look for Power Off Devices. As others have said also check your HDMI-CDC settings.

· Cool Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Tried to setup the stream box using various LG models. Remote will still only control Volume/Mute on TV. HDMI-CEC not supported on this LG model. D* Stream customer service walked me through various remote resets, all to no avail and deemed remote defective, although it would appear the IR has to be working as the TV uses IR and volume/mute work fine. They're sending me a replacement remote. I'll report the results once I'm able to access the TV again, which will be a couple of weeks or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts